In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Your Grandfathers' Advice???

fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
I got to thinking about the advice that my Grandfathers' had given me, and I'm sure you have some advice that they gave you, that you can pass along too.

Here's what my Grandfathers' had to say:

Grandpa John: I was graduating from college, and I had no idea what I was going to do with my life. What job would make me happy? What direction should I go? My Grandfather asked me what I wanted to do, and I said, "Grandpa, I don't know what I want to do. I have no idea what will make me happy." He responded, "Ben, I'm 67, just retired, I still have no idea what to do in my life. Just do something. Don't be worthless."

Grandpa Fred: "Benjamin it is very important to always keep your word. Sometimes it will hurt like hell, and cost you money that you might not have, but it is then that it is most important to keep your word. People will be watching."

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
Play Ball!!!

Comments

• Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grandpa.jpg

"If a man's word is no damn good, the man is no damn good."

Pretty much what your Grandpa said.

GBsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    James, I take it that's your Grandfather w/ the non-filter?

FCD, Your Grandfather sounds like a riot!

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mother's father passed away years before I was born and my father's father passed away from Parkinsons before I got a chance to know him. [:(]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My GrandPappy always said, "If you dont know the game, dont set at the table"

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishermanben
    James, I take it that's your Grandfather w/ the non-filter?

FCD, Your Grandfather sounds like a riot!

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!

Yeah, but they just smoked tobacco back then. [;)]

GBsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "If it's easy, take it twice."

Clouder..
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    sixty damn miles to get a loaf of bread and only one shoe"

Absolutely hilarious.. [:)]
  • Options
    ginmartiniginmartini Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do it right the first time, it'll save you time in the long run.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    If you're want to dance, you gotta pay the band.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Great Grandpa used to say, "There are two kinds of problems. The ones you can do something about and the ones you can't. Work on the ones you can do something about and let the Lord worry about the others."

Can I get an "Amen"?

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never knew my grandfather. he died when my mom was 4. dads 'pops' neve gave me advice. all he did was sit and watch tv all day and curse 'gd' every other word.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Grandfather was the best. He's been gone about 12 years now, and I really wish he was around now.

Anyhows . . . I'll share a few of the many lessons he taught me.

"They can take everything from you, but they can't take your name. Never, never ruin your name. Never prostitute yourself or your principles for any reason."

"There are times when a buck is like a hundred and a hundred is like a buck." (still learning that one!)

"If we don't try, we don't do. If we don't do, what the hell we here for."

"What is that, a Pittsburg job!!" (to my Grandfather, a half-hearted effort was a "pittsburg job". No offense to any folks out in western PA[;)])

JPFO Life Member
    www.jpfo.org
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Yes, you COULD kill a bear with a .22. You're a good enuff shot to do it, too! AND if I ever hear you tried it, I'll whip yer *!.....I was about 6yr old

Why do you wait 'til we're fishing to ask all yer questions?.....I was about 7yr old

No, you can't drive to great-grandma's!.....I was about 9yr old

Grampa gave good advice, was the best companion a kid could ask for and always answered those "dumb" questions. He'll be gone 28? yrs in June and I still miss him! I have to credit him with instilling in me the love I have of all things outdoors along with too many other things to even begin to list!