In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iraqis call Lynndie England jail term travesty

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
Sep 28 6:34 AM US/Eastern

By Waleed Ibrahim

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqis expressed fury on Wednesday over the three-year jail sentence for Lynndie England, the U.S. soldier notorious for holding a naked inmate by a leash in Abu Ghraib prison, saying it exposed American hypocrisy.

They said the sentence would have been more harsh had she been convicted of abusing Americans.

"America should be ashamed of this sentence. This is the best evidence that Americans have double standards," said Akram Abdel Amir, a retired bus driver in Baghdad.

"There are Iraqis in jail without any charge, just based on suspicion. But when it comes to Americans, the matter is totally different."

England, 22, was sentenced on Tuesday by a U.S. military court after being convicted of abuse, including being photographed pointing to the genitals of a naked Iraqi prisoner.

The former West Virginia chicken factory worker, who had faced a maximum sentence of nine years, was also given a dishonorable discharge.

She is the last of a group of U.S. soldiers to be convicted of abuse at Abu Ghraib, including her former boyfriend and the father of her child, Charles Graner, who is serving 10 years.

"If the abuse was committed against Americans I am sure the sentence would be much harsher. The sentence is nothing compared to what she has done," said laborer Muntasser Abdel Moneim, 30.

RESENTMENT

The prosecution asked the jury for a sentence of four to six years. England was found guilty on six counts on Monday.

The prisoner abuse scandal provoked global outrage and deepened Iraqi resentment of occupying U.S. troops.

In pre-sentencing testimony, England said she was sorry for her actions but remained an American patriot.

Iraqis remember her as the American soldier who held an inmate by a leash like the kind used for dogs, a highly degrading act because Iraqis and other Muslims regard the animals as unclean.

The images of a smiling England abusing naked inmates were especially humiliating in Iraq, a male-dominated society.

"The whole thing is theater. The Americans want to pretend they defend human rights and are a civilized nation," said Munir Abdel Sahib, a university lecturer.

"I believe that England would not have committed these crimes without orders from above."

In court testimony, England blamed her involvement on Graner, the abuse ringleader, who is now married to another woman who pleaded guilty to abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib.

"There is no justice in this sentence because the pictures were very shameful. She has to get more years in jail and she has to be imprisoned in Iraq," said Najaat al-Azawi, 55, a retired engineer.

Grocery store owner Hussein Ali said the fact that England faced trial was positive but stressed justice was not served.

"It means the Americans can get away with everything in Iraq. Three years is not enough for what she has done."

U.S. forces are holding about 11,800 prisoners at several detention centers in Iraq, including 4,000 at Abu Ghraib.

Iraqi families, human rights groups and some Iraqi government ministers, including the justice minister, complain too many Iraqis are being wrongfully detained for too long without due process.

Paraphrasing Mark Twain: It's not what you know that makes you look stupid, it's what you know that just ain't so.

Volenti non fit injuria

Comments

• Options
    lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea? Well we'll see what sentince they give Saddam
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting how sympathetic the Arab in the street is toward their Arab terrorists. One might have expected them to insist on their execution.
    It's deja vu all over again.
    WW2 Germans and Japanese and Korean War Chinese would know how to deal with the situation, we don't.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    does anyone else think she looks like Lou Diamond Phillips????

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:The images of a smiling England abusing naked inmates were especially humiliating in Iraq, a male-dominated society.

Get used to it a-holes; women actually are people. Not some commodity you can buy and sell.

mnd.jpg
  • Options
    HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least she didn't behead anybody. What a bunch of political hype and garbage.

Sako Fan
  • Options
    bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    quote:Yea? Well we'll see what sentence they give Saddam

He's a dead man walking.

I don't think the humiliation they inflicted on the Iraqi prisoners deserved any jail time. What they did was wrong and they should loose their jobs, ie. discharged, but the punishment doesn't fit the "crime" in my opinion.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob
    does anyone else think she looks like Lou Diamond Phillips????

jumpmaster.bmp

like the offspring of Lou Diamond Phillips and the Pilsbury Doughboy.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they should put a pair of mens boxer shorts on her head and lead her around naked on a leash while leering Iraqi men point their fingers at her. This kind of abuse is especailly humiliating because , to the American public, boxer shorts are unclean, especially if they have not been washed.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I bet she geta pardoned

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    I bet she geta pardoned

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.

If Clinton was in office all she'd have to do for a pardon is to get down on her knees and make a bid for clemency.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:"There are Iraqis in jail without any charge, just based on suspicion. But when it comes to Americans, the matter is totally different."

sure is, get used to it akbar

now is it me or does she look like she will enjoy being locked up with a bunch of women for three years??

reloaderror.jpg
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yawn.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    I, for one, do not really care what those camel jockies think. Wonder if they care what the rest of the world thinks about some of their punishments.
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Who gives a rat's butt what the Iraki think?
    I guess they're proud of their little Irakette who did the suicide bomb this week killing several Iraki.
    I gather most all of the idiot England's captives survived her "brutality."
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think three years is pretty harsh for what she did, considering the environment she was in and her lowly rank. (Doesn't condone it. . .just explains it).

Anyway, I think the angry Iraqis (of course you can always find angry Iraqis when you work for Al-Reuters and have an angle to grind) might want to cast their eyes over at their countrymen who are blowing civilians to kindgom come, rather than look for harsh punishment for frat-boy like humiliation of prisoners.
  • Options
    cacti25cacti25 Member Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hairy, you love this stuff don't you.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    If she was an officer she would have been able to request to relieve her commission in leiu of court martial.

Wasn't she in the National Guard? I'd say legally they can not send her to Federal Prison for this. The President ordered her State's Guard to go to Iraq. Therefor she ended up on Federal Duty....and ended up "breaking" the law by humiliating some prisoners. I'd say it is the Presidents fault for sending part time military over there anyways. Just ask Matt45, a Guard himself...he says they are unable to perform the job and people like Blackwater should be in there. Then atleast the President could have plausible denial for actions.

But Bush doesn't have an excuse on why he's only punishing the lowest ranks and NOT the higher ups that are paid to train and manage forces as well as ensure they are doing the job properly.

This stupid little girl is just a scapegoat.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Quick question - if y'all don't care what the Iraqis think, then why do you support the current war over there?

I mean, did we go to war for the right to strip Iraqi men naked and torment, torture, and humiliate them?

Oh well... scratch WMDs, scratch spreading democracy... I think we know the real reason now.[}:)]
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    She's a scapegoat, but a stupid one at that. If you're going to violate the UCMJ (Military Law), DON'T take pictures!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Red223
    quote:Wasn't she in the National Guard? I'd say legally they can not send her to Federal Prison for this. The President ordered her State's Guard to go to Iraq. Therefor she ended up on Federal Duty... Jackazz-She's a Reservist, and when on Federal orders, or even Active Duty for Training, she is subject to the UCMJ. Damn, you're pinhead at times....but the following takes the cake:

quote:Just ask Matt45, a Guard himself...he says they are unable to perform the job and people like Blackwater should be in there. Then atleast the President could have plausible denial for actions.
    It's AMAZING the fabrications you dream up, is that learned at DNC Indoctination Camp? I never hinted anything of the sort, nor alluded to any such concept. Your statement holds ZERO validity, and proves what a lyin' scuzzwort you really are.

FTBennITCMOURN.jpg

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    Handgun Control, Inc. says they want to "Keep guns out of the wrong hands."
    Guess what?
    You have the wrong hands.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    To paraphrase one of my buddies, "Only an Iraqi would think that being seen naked by a female is a bad thing!" [:D]

00023904.jpg
    "Gunner sabot tank! Identify! UP! Fire! ON THE WAY!!" <<boom>>

"It's all about shot placement..."
    awcountdown_sm.gif
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a little ticked about the sentance, too. Three years is way too much. She should have gotten an admin discharge and a stern scolding. But hey. What did her CO get, anyway? Hmm.

Showing mercy on her is a good lesson for the Iraqis, i.e. "what would Saddam do?", ok, we'll do the opposite.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    Sep 28 6:34 AM US/Eastern

By Waleed Ibrahim

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraqis expressed fury on Wednesday over the three-year jail sentence for Lynndie England, the U.S. soldier notorious for holding a naked inmate by a leash in Abu Ghraib prison, saying it exposed American hypocrisy.

They said the sentence would have been more harsh had she been convicted of abusing Americans....Yep, they are so right about American hypocrisy. Hell, in America she would have been well paid by the naked guy on the leash to have his picture taken![:0][:o)]

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I guess the judge felt sorry for her. She has to live with that face the rest of her life![xx(][xx(]

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Political B/S
    which Iraqis?
    where was the outrage for all of the millions of excutions , rapes, warfare that were all much worse that what she did (just not us caused.). This was just written for the NY times crowd
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Sorry Mattster,

Thought she was a Guard not a Reservist. But her job was just prisoner logging, she would write down how many they had..etc.. Her job was not actually in the Prison Cell area.

So she was allowed to come back and hang with the boys on her off-duty time. Whomever was responsible for the Prison Cell area allowed her to do what she did for a very, very, long time. Brian Maass, an attorney that interviewed her said we should expect even more pictures of her to surface...as she was boning GI's in front of the prisoners and doing much much more.

But if anyone recalls the Pentagon sent President Bush a memo saying he is not restrained by US/UN Torture laws when the issue came up at Gitmo.

And according to Reuters:

"""The United States Justice Department has broadened its legal definition of torture, revising a controversial memorandum that embarrassed the Bush administration during the Abu Ghraib prison scandal in Iraq.

The memo, drafted by Alberto Gonzales, the incoming US attorney-general, had stated that only organ failure, impairment of * function or death would constitute torture that would be punishable by law.

The Justice Department has now stressed that torture is abhorrent both to American laws and values and to international norms.

The new definition states that torture can consist of acts that do not cause excruciating pain, highlighting the fact that those who conduct harmful interrogations could be open to prosecution.""

General Karpinski who was in charge of the prison only got an LOA. An LOA is a piece of paper saying you were a bad boy and when you change duty stations it gets thrown away or after some time they throw it away. It is a worthless piece of paper.

Therefor I expect her charges will be dropped in the appeal process as the US Justice Department admitted to allowing things England did to be acceptable interogation methods for the Armed Forces/US Govt.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She looked like she was having fun and that is what probably pee'd everyone off. You can't even have fun at work anymore, whats this world comming too.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CHGOTHNDER
    She looked like she was having fun and that is what probably pee'd everyone off. You can't even have fun at work anymore, whats this world comming too.

PJ

No kidding. You can't train soldiers to show this kind of initiative during wartime...somehow... some soldiers are just able to rise to the occasion. She could have been the first woman to earn the Medal of Honor...but Nooooooooo! Couple of racy photos show up and she's treated like some kind of psycho tramp! It's a double standard if you ask me.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    quote:does anyone else think she looks like Lou Diamond Phillips????

Too short.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    The whole Abu Ghraib prisoner torture scandal was a Psy-Ops "production", basically a movie! The female lead role (Lynndie England) deserves Academy recognition, if not an Oscar.
    You see, the idea was/is to make Ahmad think if he is taken prisoner, this will happen to him, hence Ahmad is motivated to fight to the death, rather than being humiliated like the "actors" are in the film/pics. The supposed incidents showing a FEMALE doing the "torturing" just make it all the more horrifying to the Islamis psyche!
    This results in savings of capital expenditures for the care, feeding of prisoners, manpower for guards who could otherwise be out putting lead into these sheetheads.
    *LOL* I HAD TO TRY![:D]