In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

armed New Orleans holdouts

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
Apparently the Obama supporter doesn't realize he's hell bent on taking those guns away from him...

City Holdouts Don't Fear Crime, Looting

New Orleans Times-Picayune
Sunday August 31, 2008, 1:06 PM
Across New Orleans, holdout residents are bracing for the worst as they plan to stay through the storm. But there's one thing they're not expecting this time: crime.

As a National Guard vehicle slowly cruised an Uptown neighborhood off Oak Street, Gary Nguyen, 36, owner of the Stop 'N Carry store at the corner of Willow and Dante streets, said he sensed a different attitude this time around.

"I feel safe," said Nguyen, who also stayed during Hurricane Katrina. "I see a police presence. I see a military police presence. I see a lot more people staying who own property. The troublemakers, I think they will leave."

On a white shotgun cottage a short distance away, someone had drawn an elaborate sign featuring a shotgun and a handgun, with the words "We shoot looters," scrawled underneath. A white Obama '08 campaign sign rested on the same porch.

National Guard soldiers and New Orleans police officers have set up patrols, from the intersection of St. Charles and Jackson Avenues to the Lower 9th Ward off Caffin Avenue.

"Everything's calm actually," said Ronnie Bonin, dressed in his Guard fatigues, as he filled up plastic gasoline cans at a St. Claude Avenue gas station in the Lower 9. "We've been giving rides to civilians, especially the elderly."

Bonin, 28, a New Orleans native, said that law enforcement wants people to "get out of the city," but that military police and the city's officers are prepared to hunker down and ride out the storm to serve and protect.

Near the Riverbend neighborhood Uptown, resident Monica Eisert, 28, said she and her friends factored in the risks of staying before choosing to hunker down by themselves.

Mayor Ray Nagin's mandatory evacuation order - and threat that any "looters" will be shipped directly to the Angola state prison - comes with a clear caveat, said Eisert. Emergency services will be scarce, she knows.

By Sunday afternoon, New Orleans was a ghostly vacant place where the rare vehicles roaming the streets were mostly unmarked police cars flashing blue lights, cruisers and military Humvees.

Homes were left barricaded by plywood boards on the windows and doors. Those who remain in the city were busy with last-minute security measures and supply-gathering. The prevailing mood, Eisert said, was that until the dust clears, people are on their own.

"I haven't seen enough police," said Eisert. "I've seen one National Guard truck. But they said it's mandatory. They said they're not going to be here. We have our own protection. Firearms."

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    OUTSTANDING

[:D][:D]

Perhaps old dogs can learn new responses.[:I]
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Heard that on the news this morning.
    Angola, eh? Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
    Heaven help them....[}:)]
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,462 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish them luck
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: A white Obama '08 campaign sign rested on the same porch

Strange that they consider him white down there in those parts.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hear Johnny White's Sports Bar down on Bourbon St. is going to remain open for the Gustav stay behinds. They're reportedly set up with a generator and plenty of fuel.

Not really surprising. They never shut down during Katrina.

Always good eats and cold beverages there. [:p]
  • Options
    skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i wish all the armed holdouts the best this time around. just hang on to your firearms this time
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I wonder the dollar amount of the firearms
    they destoryed during katrina?
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    quote:On a white shotgun cottage a short distance away, someone had drawn an elaborate sign featuring a shotgun and a handgun, with the words "We shoot looters," scrawled underneath. A white Obama '08 campaign sign rested on the same porch.I see the people of New Orleans have not lost their sense of humor.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    quote:On a white shotgun cottage a short distance away, someone had drawn an elaborate sign featuring a shotgun and a handgun, with the words "We shoot looters," scrawled underneath. A white Obama '08 campaign sign rested on the same porch.I see the people of New Orleans have not lost their sense of humor.

Either that or they didn't gain a iota of intelligence. I think it's the latter as they still have the same mayor.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey

Either that or they didn't gain a iota of intelligence. I think it's the latter as they still have the same mayor.
    Good point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I realize it was Constitutionally protected to start with, but following the fiasco of Katrina Louisiana's legislature passed state laws that clearly ban the confiscation of arms during times of disaster. No more of that, "We assumed it was legal because we were ordered to do it by our superiors" BS.

It remains to be seen, but don't expect to see that crap happening again.
  • Options
    rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's another interesting, sort-of-related article:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/bloggers/2071232/posts?page=18

With Gustav approaching New Orleans Residents stocking up on AR-15's and ammo
    dvorak.org/blog | 08/28/08 | McCullough

Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2008 10:21:56 AM by TornadoAlley3

We just got a call from Devline Rossell, a charter captain based out of Venice, Louisiana. He was shopping in New Orleans to get some supplies before the arrival of Gustav (currently listed as a tropical storm that has left at least 22 dead in the Caribbean) and reported that the item most in demand was not food, clothing or shelter.

"I just left a sporting goods store and you would think that the number-one selling item would be plywood or potable water or gasoline right now," he said. "Apparently it is AR-15s and .223 ammo. I watched at least 20 people buy AR-15s and cases of .223."

Can't say I'm surprised. After the nightmare that was Katrina I think it would be unwise for anyone to assume the state, local or federal government could guarantee his or her personal safety during a natural disaster. Of course, I think it is foolish to assume that under any circumstance.

The AR buying spree demonstrates that people don't think of it as an "assault weapon" but rather an arm that is ideally suited for self-defense, which it is. I also suspect that for some of the folks this is their first firearm. Goes to show that not only is there no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole but that there is no such thing as a gun-control advocate in one either.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    They weren't the only ones.[:p]