In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for southern ears

dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in General Discussion
What is the meaning of mardi gras .? I lived in Louisiana all my life except for my college years and never understood it I live in northern lousiana not southern

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    It's just an excuse to get drunk and act a fool.
    I believe it's supposed to,in some way,emulate Brazils Carival..
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Literally translated it means Fat Tuesday in french. It is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday which is when Lent starts, so for the largely catholic Cajuns in LA it is a final excuse to blow it out before Lent starts. In Germany they have a similar festival called Fasching (where marriage doesnt seem to count for a few days...) and in Brasil it is called carnival.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Literally translated it means Fat Tuesday in french. It is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday which is when Lent starts, so for the largely catholic Cajuns in LA it is a final excuse to blow it out before Lent starts. In Germany they have a similar festival called Fasching (where marriage doesnt seem to count for a few days...) and in Brasil it is called carnival.

or >> Shrove Tuesday (pancake).

[;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots

[;)]

Shrove Tuesday was originally an english tradition but is only still a holiday in the catholic regions of Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dotcom_guy30
    What is the meaning of mardi gras .?

I believe it means "Show me them boobies". Don
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    quote:Originally posted by dotcom_guy30
    What is the meaning of mardi gras .?

I believe it means "Show me them boobies". Don
    Zackly.[:p]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gesshots

[;)]

Shrove Tuesday was originally an english tradition but is only still a holiday in the catholic regions of Northern Ireland.

MY B-I-L partakes in Shrove Tuesday,(Yes he makes Pan Cakes) and he is Irish Catholic, just like my wife LOL! Mobile is the birth place of Mardi Gras...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    ! Mobile is the birth place of Mardi Gras...

That it is! The parades in Fairhope come right by Mom's house. We can hit the entire parade from 3 different corners.

Plus when I go to a Mardis Gras event in Fairhope (or even Mobile sometimes) I don't have to worry about getting stabbed . New Orleans? Not so much....
  • Options
    dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I'm in northern Louisiana not the south so I don't have to worry about new orleans
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I live right in the middle of it, around here they dress up and run down chickens for gumbo.

chicken.jpg

The only good thing about it is King Cake.[:p]