In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

It's Worse then People think.

RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in General Discussion
Walking through the water in the South East will Breed Sickness such as Dysentery which could be deadly. Decease will find it's way into the smallest cuts.

Once the water recedes ALL DWELLINGS Will be Uninhabitable because of Mold mostly.
People will also try cooking on anything they can think of to prepare Food, which could be very Dangerous.

Gators and Poisonous Snakes have already been Spotted.
A Shark was seen swimming through the streets, but they think he came from the Aquarium.

Sewage will also take a long while to restore
Electric will take Months to get back on line.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
[img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.[/img]
Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.

Comments

• Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    Walking through the water in the South East will Breed Sickness such as Dysentery which could be deadly. Decease will find it's way into the smallest cuts.

Once the water recedes ALL DWELLINGS Will be Uninhabitable because of Mold mostly.
    People will also try cooking on anything they can think of to prepare Food, which could be very Dangerous.

Gators and Poisonous Snakes have already been Spotted.
    A Shark was seen swimming through the streets, but they think he came from the Aquarium.

Sewage will also take a long while to restore
    Electric will take Months to get back on line.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    [img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE. Didn't the aquarium also have paranhas? Seems I recall, during the planning stage, that this was a possibility, but there was a great deal of protest, should some disaster result in the little nippers getting into the Mississippi... If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....[/img]
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Lake Ponchartrain, New Orleans' problem to the north, is brackish water--that is, a mixture of salt and fresh because it takes run-off from several rivers and bayous but it also opens into the Gulf. The storm surge undoubtedly drove Gulf marine life into the lake. It's not uncommon to see sharks, dolphins, etc. in that lake under normal circumstances. Thus such critters would have been free to swim into the city through the levee breaches. I haven't heard that the Aquarium was significantly damaged. The way it is constructed, the sharks are in the innermost tanks--completely surrounded with huge metal girders and LOTS of concete. They are NOT in open pools outside.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way I look at it, the entire city has been destroyed and is currently uninhabitable.

I'm not quite sure that things could get much worse than that.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The big picture is not seen yet. There are going to be lots of homeless. Wells are contaminated. Businesses are closed. People are instantly unemployed. This is going to have a ripple effect in our economy.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Select-fire is right, as he often is. We are already seeing gas at $3/gallon and shortages and rationing cannot be far away. We are all going to pay for the New Orleans tragedy, but because of the port and the river traffic, they will not let the river run through the Atchafalaya basin and abandon the big easy. Makes little sense to me to have or live in a city whose high points are only 8 feet below sea level, but then 80% of Holland is 30-40 feet below sea level and they dykes there have held for centuries.
  • Options
    NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    But Dutch Dikes are different.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nick,
    Why? They have less tattoos? More motorcycles? [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Merc

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I wonder if OPEC would be generous enough to release a little extra oil?[}:)]

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:But Dutch Dikes are different.
    So are Butch Dykes! [:D] [:D] [8D]

[img]http://www.ice.gov/graphics/index.htm Report Suspected Violations of Immigration Laws, Call: 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.[/img]
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just heard, fire in the French Quarter.....[:(]

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Just heard, fire in the French Quarter.....[:(]

[:(][V][:(]

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm just waiting for the celebrities to line up to help....

• Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as for the Dutch dykes? When was the last time a clas 4 hurricane hit the dutch coastline? Do they even have a coastline???

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder what Mardi Gras is going to be like next year?
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by muss
    as for the Dutch dykes? When was the last time a clas 4 hurricane hit the dutch coastline? Do they even have a coastline???

Well they (the Netherlands) do indeed have coastline, lots of it, but no hurricanes to speak of.

mnd.jpg
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Mayor Nagin says there will be a complete evacuation of the city, because it won't be inhabitable for at least three months. His people are estimating that there will be thousands of fatalities; other experts are saying it will be the greatest disaster in this country since the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.

I went through Hugo in 1989. It was really bad, but nowhere near as bad as this one.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • Options
    mussmuss Member Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ijust heard that the Dutch have built three seperate dykes to hold back water. Sounds like a good plan.

• Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by The Tinman
    I wonder what Mardi Gras is going to be like next year?

Mamou has a Mardi Gras that rivals that of New Orleans. If you like Mardi Gras go see what its really like.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

star_wars_kid.gif