In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

flight testing jets-1942 style

discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
my god, i thought testing would involve lots of high tech equipment and such. watch this video of America's first jet fighter in 1942.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhF49AJrVg

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kick the tires and light the fires. The F-8 Crusader went supersonic on its maiden flight and was the only aircraft made with a variable incidence wing.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    did the last clip of the guy with rocket boosted bicyle
    remind you of Wile E. Coyote?

WYFUyMUl.jpg
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad flew the F-84F(the original 'Hog') in the mid 50's. In that plane the gear were raised by pulling up on a lever, like the emergency brake lever in a car. There were a couple of incidents where a high-G turn would cause the lever to slam down, allowing the mains to lower so fast that they would over rotate and become useless. The pilot had the option of bailing out or trying to land with mains that may or may not support the plane. Republic's answer to the issue was to install a bungee cord that could be looped under the lever to prevent movement.