In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions for all the LEO's out there

pipskickspipskicks Member Posts: 3,049
edited May 2004 in General Discussion
So I am interested in Law Enforcement, but I am having trouble getting some answers. I am interested in doing more paper work and investigatory work in any type of Law Enforcement. I have looked into the FBI but I have my history as a stoner and I don't know if it will fly with them. But I have asked many officers in the LAPD over here about working as an investigator and they have all told me that they are working at that too, and that I would have to work the beat for years before even thinking about it.
Do any of you know of a way to get into investigatory work-or any law enforcement for that matter, and do what I want to do without doing the beat work first?
Just wondering if any of you LEO's out there know any more or have any ideas for what I could go into. I also don't know if working the beat to get your way up is only in Los Angeles or if it is the same way in any city.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Just how stoned you were and how often is going to have a major effect on your chances for employment with the FBI. I have a few customers with the Bureau (agents tend to spend far more money on firearm purchases than regular cops) and their drug use policy is rather strict. If you've used Marijuana with in the past three years or more than 15 times in your life you are automatically excluded. Any other drug use during the past ten years or more than 5 times in your entier life will also show you the door. If you can clear that hurdle all that is left is the batchlers degree (minimum), foreign language (try learning Russian as it is in high demand at the Bureau), and three years of related experience in law, engineering, accounting, or the military, depending on your planned career path with the FBI. Most applicants already have post graduate degrees, speak two languages and many have already passed the bar...GOOD LUCK!

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I am automatically excluded from that then, I am wondering really what other routes I can take.
    I am not partial to the FBI, I am interested in local Law Enforcement too, I just want to know where I could get that type of work.
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Pips: Sorry brotha, but nearly any law enforcement agency/department is going to require a polygraph as part of the entrance exam (or final stage for hire) and the drug issue WILL come up.

I know you do not want to hear this, but the choices we make today, effect tomorrow. Sorry, looks like you may be unable to serve and protect based on your past behavior.

I am not trying to bust your balls, just trying to say that sooooooooo many folks now-a-days think "he, screw it, I'll do what I want, it's a free country", but then comes the time to buckle down and go to work at a job they want, and they find out they are excluded. I have more than a few folks who apply for security clearances within the DoD, and they qare not granted access because of this type of stuff. They end up pi$$ed, but the rules are clear- mess up once or twice, not a problem, mess up several times (read: HABIT) and sorry, no joy- look elsewhere for employ.

NSDQ!

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifTalk_of_sacrifice.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Sad isn't it that you can't be in the FBI for smoking pot. Have you ever thought about running for president? [:D][:0]

Don't think you have to take a lie detector test either...[}:)]

Any man can shoot a gun, and with practice he can draw fast and shoot accurately, but that makes no difference. What counts is how you stand up when somebody is shooting back at you.
    To die for what one believes is all very well for those so inclined, but it has always seemed to me the most vain of solutions. There is no cause worth dying for that is not better served by living. L'Amour
  • Options
    edited November -1
    P3: I didn't say it was fair, just said it "was". I agree that it's disheartening that the President of the United States is NOT held to same standard as so many of us public servants, but what'cha gonna do?

I damn near forgot, I need to post "proof positive" on here, or DancesWithSheep "folks" will discredit my opinion. so.... here is my lowly attempt to add credit to my dispariging claims to glory [|)]...

FBI_Assistance.jpg

NSDQ!

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifTalk_of_sacrifice.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot to add that the original is bound in a leather case and is on display in my household if needed to be viewed. Oh, and by the way, it does have an "original" signature by the director, for my assistance with AI.... that's "Ansalar al Islam" (the terrorist network) for those of you who care.

EDIT: After reading the post, I felt the need to tell you all I didi not mean to come off as arrogant, it's just that here lately, you have to post a damn pic with any thought or idea you have for fear a couple of the "old dogs" will beat you down and attempt to discredit you for proclaiming the sky is blue without their support.
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    This whole post smells like a "how can I get my dream job without paying my dues first?" query. There's no way unless you are extremely lucky for this to happen, in any field. Wanna be a Marine Scout/Sniper? Gotta become a Marine first. Wanna be S.W.A.T.? Start at the bottom and prove yourself. Wanna be in any kind of security-clearanced position? Live a life free of drugs, law-breaking, and generally anything "un-American". The competition for the dream jobs is tougher than you'd ever imagine until you get there, and every single strike against you is going to hold you back.

Plenty of us pay our dues thoroughly throughout our lives and don't make it - don't expect to be thrown any bones if you haven't. Unless...are you a minority? [;)][:(!]
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    Typical aspiration of today's youth. I want it, and I want it right now!

...and I don't want to have to put in any effort to get it, and I don't want to be held responsible for my mistakes.

Goes back to my thought that political correctness and entitlement philosophy are killing our country. Those both go back to my hatred of lazy and dishonest people.
  • Options
    mandersonmanderson Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NightStalker...Cangratulations!

I didn't read arrogance into that at all. You should be very proud. Show it off! I know the younger generation is full of the instant gratification syndrom, but there are also lots of smart kids out there. Some may see this and be truly inspired to help our country and our citizens as you have done.
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The marijuana issue will come up in a polygraph. Most agencies are zero tolerance on past drug usage. That does not mean all of them are. Drop lot of applications and something is bound to come your way. Good luck.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    If you've used anything stronger than marijuana you can forget about becoming a LEO.

Some departments will hire you even with PAST marijuana use. That PAST use time period varies. Some are 6 months, some are longer.

And you WILL be polygraphed on past drug use, acts involving honesty, theft, etc.

Something I've tried to drill in my son's head:

"Be careful of what you do today as it could come back to haunt you tomorrow."

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can almost assure you that even the smallest of LE Agency's will not hire you as an Investigator.Im thankful I dont have to deal with the politics,but I know several Deputy's who started out as Dispatchers,then were promoted to Jailor.Then promoted to Court Security then to Deputy.And after several yrs as the line of command begins to fall due to retirement etc you can move your way up.If you are interviewed and make it to the polygraph dont lie about the drug use that will surely be the end of that chance for a job.

Best of Luck to ya!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't think I was coming off so crappy. I would work my way up, if I had to. But I was wondering if anyone knew of any jobs that hire like that, I don't care about pay, I just want to do what I like to do.
    I accept the fact that I have screwed up and I definately wouldn't lie about it, I thought the only place that was real strict was the FBI, even they let you do marijuana up to 15 times and everything else up to 5, but I have only done the marijuana thing that bad, but that is probably enough to exclude me from that.
    Thanks for your help guys.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Pipskicks

Any agency worth a crap would require you to start as a patrolman/deputy. If you were allowed to begin as an investigator, what kind of street sense, instinct, knowledge of crime, investigative ability, knowledge of criminal process etc, would you bring to the job?

Let me think.....ZERO.

You mention a history as "a stoner". What does that mean? Any hard drugs in your past? How long ago, and how many times did you smoke weed? Have you committed any crimes? if so, were any of them felonies and/or committed as an adult?

All the above are questions you need to ask yourself prior to even beginning the process of getting into this field. The answers will determine whether or not you should even waste your time.

Lt (now Cmdr) the curious

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont be discouraged the most important thing with the polygraph is honesty.For LEO jobs anyway,as long as your free of Felony's you can work as an LEO.I thank God I got Hired right after college or I could have made the same mistakes you did.If your Felony free and devoted to doing your part to make the world a better place.Go for it. Best of Luck!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    NIXAKIDNIXAKID Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WELL PIPSKICKS I SEE YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN SOME GOOD INFORMATION ON BEING A LEO. BEING A RETIRED LEO I HAVE BEEN IN MOST OF THE POSITIONS INCLUDING PLAIN CLOTHES. THIS IS A TERRIFIC JOB BUT IT IS NOT A JOB YOU WILL DO JUST FOR A PAY CHECK. THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN THE EYES SEES. MORE THAN JOHN Q EVEN SEES OR HEARS ABOUT. DO YOUR JOB CORRECT AND YOU ARE UP TO YOUR NECK IN PAPER WORK. DO YOUR JOB CORRECT AND YOUR IN COURT A LOT. IF YOU CAN GET PERMISSION TO RIDE WITH A OFFICER OR DEPUTY FOR A WHILE AND SEE FIRST HAND WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT. SOME DEPARTMENT WILL ALLOW THIS. I HAVE NEVER KNOWN OFA PERSON BEING HIRED FOR PLAIN CLOTHES WITHOUT PROVING THAT YOU CAN DO THE OTHER JOBS ALSO. THERE ARE UNIFORMS THAT ARE WORKINGTO GO TO .PLAIN CLOTHES. I WOULD NOT TAKE ANYTHING FOR THE GOOD AND BAD TIMES IF HAD AS A LEO. BUT I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF THEM COME AND GO BECAUSE IT WAS NOT WHAT THEY THOUGHT IT WAS. BUT I SAY IF YOU LIKE IT GO FOR IT. YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT EXPERIENCE AHEAD OF YOU. WATCH POLLY AND DONT TRY TO LIE TO HER, SHE WILL EAT YOU ALIVE. GOOD LUCK
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice guys-to answer your question, I have not done any crimes, clean record, one speeding ticket.
    I have done a couple of other drugs that are harder, but I only did one of them once and the other one twice.
    I lived with some guys that habitually smoked weed, so I did too for a good year or less about. I haven't touched the stuff in only over a year, but I still want to finish my schooling (bout a year and a half left or so), so I wouldn't apply for any job till then anyways.