In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Camping

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
I went camping this weekend with my son in shawnee in southern IL. We went on a 15 mile horseback ride. Everything was great. On the way back we were about 6 miles from our camp sight when ground bees came up and attacked us and the other 30 horses on the trail. My son (4 years old) was on the back of our horse to which made it worse. The horse took off full throttle bucking and raring into the woods. I finally got her calmed down and got my traumatized so off the horse. It was one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. Im really suprised my son didnt fall off. Not going riding for awhile I know that much.[B)]

Larry
binladen.gif

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Im off with my 3 year old son to do a little camping and fishing. Its his first time and It will be a memorable one Im sure. You folks have a good night.

Larry
    baby.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone ever when out camping with nothing to eat. Just planned on eating what the could Shoot,catch or find. I have not for a number of years but I want to do it again.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love to do that! Puts a whole new twist on "roughing it"!
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big800
    Has anyone ever when out camping with nothing to eat. Just planned on eating what the could Shoot,catch or find. I have not for a number of years but I want to do it again.

In modern society "you eat what you kill" has taken on new meaning, but for those who take responsibility for themselves and their families it is still the same principal.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not totally 100%.

But have gone on a few canoe trips where the main meal was the catch of the day along with some wild wood fruits and vegetables thrown in.
  • Options
    wild cat manwild cat man Member Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    havent done it in over 20 years
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    going this weekend all the food i am going to take is fish fry,oil, french fries and baked beans. Damn i hope the fish are biting
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't done it in years.
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    whenever i go on my own i do,always have done.

it`s a different situation though when the family comes with me...they even take 4 or 5 changes of clothes for an overnight stay[V] takes all the meaning out of camping[:(]
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    Only when I was a kid. Never as an adult. I do not hunt, although I did when I was a kid, nor do I fish. I do love the outdoors, and have spent plenty of time in them with firearms, trying to be stealthy lol
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man I keep dreaming about this today. I want to go up to the mountains by myself, No one else , no cell phone no computer, no work, no nothing. Just a rod, a rifle and a box of matches. Those where the days I hope to do it again soon.
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by big800
    Man I keep dreaming about this today. I want to go up to the mountains by myself, No one else , no cell phone no computer, no work, no nothing. Just a rod, a rifle and a box of matches. Those where the days I hope to do it again soon.
    You forgot the pistol, and hearty beautiful woman.......
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I always bring salt, pepper, celery and onions.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I can go a whole weekend without eating...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

I can go a whole weekend without eating...

I am going for a week+. Might be next spring
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did when I was younger.
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    When we camped growing up, we would take stuff for breakfast then catch and eat fresh fish.

I just started re-reading Tom Brown's "Field Guide to Wilderness Survival".

I have been thinking about a different sort of camping trip this Spring myself.

How about a cup of Mesquite bean tea?
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,630 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to do it fairly often when I was young. Had a decent place to fish that almost always fed us. Used to find wild berries to go with it.

Not sure I would do that now...too used to being comfortable I guess
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's a dazzling urbanite like me doing in a rustic setting like this?