In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

F-250 shock question

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
I'm due for shocks. It's the 7.3L diesel truck 3/4 ton and though it's hard to tell as the suspension is so stiff,I know it's time.

I sometimes pull an 18' trailer, and it's got 195,000 on the odometer.

Question: Should I get the $39.95 ea version, or spring for the $69 nitrogen gas version?

I'm keeping the truck for a while.
Is there much benefit to buying the better shock?

I'm buying on the way home this afternoon.

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I'm waiting for a post on another forum. There was a shock expert on there. He broke down who manufactures what shock and which is the best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to hear.
    Thx grumpygy.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Well, if it's a 7.3 then it is a Ford, and has leaf front springs. I'll bet the springs are due for replacement, too. This is common. Probably the axle stops are running about 1" from the rubber bumpers. Effectively, you get 1" of front suspension travel.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    What one of the guys posted he seems to know his stuff and has not lead me wrong yet.

quote:I'd go with Bilstein, Fox or King. I believe they make their own shocks.

Monroe makes most of the 'X-brand' for other companies though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got done installing a set of mid-range Gabriels. Got the lifetime warranty. The top bolt was a beating to reach! Everything was in the way. This truck has coil springs up front being 2 WD.

Upon inspection, I notice its about time for brakes. [B)]

At least it's a cool evening considering its late June!