In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Corrosive ammo ?

M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
Who here shoots corrosive ammo out of their surplus rifles? I have a couple of really nice surplus rifles 8mm Mauser and a Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant style rifle. I do not want to spend an arm and a leg on the ammo and therefore have been debating on buying the cheaper corrosive military surplus ammo.I have some surplus U.S miltary bore cleaner that I can use. It just seem like it could be a major pain in the *.What is your take on this issue? thanks

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a M39, a 1942 VKT. Also a 1893 Turkish Mauser.
    I shoot corrosive ammo all the time.
    I clean the way the Marines did in WW2.
    Take a saucepan and put a quart of hot water in it. Add a squirt of liquid dish soap.
    Remove the bolt. Put the sauce pan on the floor. Put a patch on the cleaning rod.
    Put the muzzle in the water. Run the rod from the breech all the way to the muzzle.
    Bring the patch all the way back to the chamber.
    You are pumping the hot soapy water through the bore.
    You will see all kinds of cruddy crud dumped into the sauce pan.
    Repeat ten times.
    Remove the bore from the water, and run a couple of dry patches down the bore.
    All the corrosive salts are now bye-bye.
    Clean as usual.
    Also swipe down the bolt face with a little soapy water on a patch, dry, and oil.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have shot corrosive ammo in a lot of my old military rifles for 50 years. I have cleaned them with military bore cleaner and never had a problem if you do it correctly.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot it all the time in bolt guns,not a problem to clean,just use hot soapy water or if you dont like that window cleaner with ammonia will work.after you clean out the salts clean as usual,now auto's with a gas system is another tale,they are harder to clean so I do not use it in them [;)]
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I shoot surplus 303 thru an enfield. no problems.
    just be sure to clean well after each "outing".
  • Options
    ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    I've shot a lot of corrosive ammo thru my Yugo Mauser and Mosin. Always cleaned them and never had a problem.

A good friend has a Yugo Mauser and he has NEVER cleaned it. I don't think he ever got all the cosmoline out when he bought it. Shoots just fine but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    No problems here either. Just clean after you shoot.
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    If you do a good cleaning job there should be no problem. Most people run into the problem of corrosion because they wait to long to clean it. Do not wait several days or weeks to clean, as soon as you finish and get home clean it. I use regular military cleaning on mine and never had a problem in 30 years of doing it.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    Most of my small firearms collection is made up of older Eastern Bloc guns like Makarovs, Mosin Nagant 91s and M44s, SKS carbines, Yugoslavian Mausers, ect. so I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo. Most ComBloc rifles have chrome bores so they are very resistant to corrosion and after a simple cleaning with hot soapy water everything looks great.
  • Options
    BufflerBuffler Member Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MIX 50/50 Ammonia and water.... works great for me!!
    BE SAFE!! Buffler
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I use it in my K98, M44, No.4 Mk1, and have used it in my CZ52 pistol. With no ill effects.

I have NOT used it in any of my gas-operated semi-autos.
  • Options
    sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do in my Black Powder Rifle... I take the action off of the stock and place it in my bath tub in warm soapy water... I use a cleaning rod with patches in the bath tub then I dry it good and oil it inside and out. Been doing it this way for 7 years.....