In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Re: UN Small Arms Treaty

RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
I've heard back from Georgia's US Senators and my district's US House Representative answering our recent petition.

All three support our views, and I found out that at least three pieces of legislation - two House bills and one Senate bill - have been introduced to block Obama's attempt to undermine the 2nd Amendment via international treaty.

I like it! [:D]

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Any treaty has to be ratified by the US Senate so if your Senators are set to block it then everything looks good.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With H Reid heading the Senate you must be smoking something and our only chance is the House
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    I have heard it is not a Treaty and as such does not have to go Thur the senate..
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine
    I have heard it is not a Treaty and as such does not have to go Thur the senate..

Just got this Reply from Merkley.

quote:Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. I appreciate hearing from you.

I am a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. Coming from a rural community myself, I am committed to protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for hunting, protection, or frankly, for any reason they please. I will not support any treaty that I believe undermines our constitutional rights.

As you may know, the Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty was not able to finalize the treaty language when it convened in July. After submitting a report to the General Assembly, another committee may be convened to further work on potential Arms Trade Treaty language. If such a treaty is agreed upon, participation by the United States would require President Obama to sign the treaty and submit it to the Senate, and would then require two-thirds of the full Senate to vote to approve it.

I have heard from Oregonians who are concerned that this potential treaty could infringe on our Second Amendment rights, and some support the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012, which would prohibit the United States from participating in negotiations on the potential treaty. That bill has been referred to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, of which I am not a member. However, please know that as a strong supporter of protecting Second Amendment rights, I will keep your views in mind should this treaty or related legislation come before the full Senate.

Thank you, again, for contacting me. I hope you continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
    United States Senator
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine

Just got this Reply from Merkley.

quote:Dear David,

Thank you for contacting me to share your concerns about the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. I appreciate hearing from you.

I am a strong supporter of our Second Amendment rights. Coming from a rural community myself, I am committed to protecting the rights of law-abiding citizens to own firearms for hunting, protection, or frankly, for any reason they please. I will not support any treaty that I believe undermines our constitutional rights.

As you may know, the Conference on the Arms Trade Treaty was not able to finalize the treaty language when it convened in July. After submitting a report to the General Assembly, another committee may be convened to further work on potential Arms Trade Treaty language. If such a treaty is agreed upon, participation by the United States would require President Obama to sign the treaty and submit it to the Senate, and would then require two-thirds of the full Senate to vote to approve it.

I have heard from Oregonians who are concerned that this potential treaty could infringe on our Second Amendment rights, and some support the Second Amendment Sovereignty Act of 2012, which would prohibit the United States from participating in negotiations on the potential treaty. That bill has been referred to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, of which I am not a member. However, please know that as a strong supporter of protecting Second Amendment rights, I will keep your views in mind should this treaty or related legislation come before the full Senate.

Thank you, again, for contacting me. I hope you continue to send your thoughts and observations my way.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey A. Merkley
    United States Senator

Merkley is also my senator and I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him!
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The end-run problem is that due to a previous treaty, when the president signs the small arms UN treaty, it is in effect for the US until either the president revokes his signature or the Senate votes to refute the treaty. So if the president signs it, and the Senate leadership, fearing an adverse vote, does not bring it up for a vote, the treaty remains in limbo status, but during that time, it is to be enforced as if ratified.[xx(]