In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Greatest Americans - Oprah is #9?!?

ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4631421.stm

Can someone tell me how Oprah, Clinton, or even Elvis made this list? Lincoln shouldn't even be on it! I mean, if they're going to poll 2.4 million illiterate Americans, how did they find so many who aren't in the South? [;)]

And where is Jefferson? Didn't he write something once, somewhere back in 1776?

1 Ronald Reagan
2 Abraham Lincoln
3 Martin Luther King
4 George Washington
5 Benjamin Franklin
6 George W Bush
7 Bill Clinton
8 Elvis Presley
9 Oprah Winfrey
10 Franklin D Roosevelt

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where the H*** is Robert E. Lee ? And what about Dale Earnhardt ?
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must of polled the law schools. Don

I respect the truth too much to bring it out on every occasion.

The biggest regret of my life is the number of temptations I've resisted successfully.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    A very scientific poll...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Oh for f***'s sake...

GW Bush is number six?!?

Clinton was number seven?!?

Reagan is number one?!?

Elvis and Oprah made the top ten?!?

And people wonder why we're going to hell in a handbasket. It wouldn't have anything to do with $#!t-for-brains morons voting for the above as the "Greatest Americans", would it?

Yeah, because George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Jefferson were all useless hacks...

Americans really can be, bar none, some of the dumbest people on Earth... typically with the attention span and memory of a piece of snail bait.
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thomas Edison ranks so far above all the rest of those people in his actual contributions to our lives that I can't believe they overlooked him. That program smells of a big rotten fish. To look at the results, you would think they only polled urban yuppies who graduated high school in the '80s.

Frog.

RiBBButt...You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to. -Roger Miller
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    Oh for f***'s sake...

GW Bush is number six?!?

Clinton was number seven?!?

Reagan is number one?!?

Elvis and Oprah made the top ten?!?

And people wonder why we're going to hell in a handbasket. It wouldn't have anything to do with $#!t-for-brains morons voting for the above as the "Greatest Americans", would it?

Yeah, because George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, and Thomas Jefferson were all useless hacks...

Americans really can be, bar none, some of the dumbest people on Earth... typically with the attention span and memory of a piece of snail bait.

Kind of burns your bisquits dosen't it. Don

I respect the truth too much to bring it out on every occasion.

The biggest regret of my life is the number of temptations I've resisted successfully.
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    I'm betting these same folks who were "polled" couldn't locate NEBRASKA on a map. They are educated by M-TV (read EMPTY-V) and Madison Avenue. EMM nailed it. God help us! [:(]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I fail to see why anyone would even pay any attention to such rankings. I know who I think is important and could care less what anyone else thinks.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh the Discovery Channel thing. What makes a great American?

I think that Walter Brattain Robert Brattain inventors of the transistor
    are far greater than Oprah. If it were not for them she would be a switch board operator.

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    George Washington should be #1. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have a country and if it weren't for him stepping down after his 2nd term, we wouldn't have the democracy we have today.

Lincoln should be #2. If it weren't for him, we'd have 2 countries instead of one and we might have fought more than one war against each other over the last 140 years.

Benjamin Franklin should be #3. If it weren't for him, the French wouldn't have joined the revolution on our side and we likely would have lost.

Jefferson should be #4. If it weren't for him, the cause (independence) wouldn't have been so eloquently codified (The Declaration of Independence).

Roosevelt should be #5. If it weren't for his leadership during a tough time in America, the depression might have lasted longer and we might never have stood up to Hitler.

No one from the last half of the 20th century even makes the cut in my opinion.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I was with you until you got to FDR, he brought in the era of big gov't. Seems like a great guy now, but that bubble is nearing the bursting point as we are reaching the limits of gov't size and expenditure for "the benefit of the people"[xx(]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I hear you on FDR. How about Teddy (Roosevelt)? If it weren't for him basically starting the national park/conservation movement, we might have already paved over most of America.

To me, any of the founding fathers could be in the top 10 along with the 4 I already mentioned. Certainly any one of them is more important than Elvis, Oprah, Reagan, Bush, Clinton or King. Hell, I'd vote for Chuck Yeager and Dick Rutan before I'd choose any of them.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Yes i cannot see # 6, 7, 8, or 9 being on that list!!

If I can't spell, so what!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I know who I think is important and could care less what anyone else thinks.

1. Chesty Puller
    2. Manila John Basilone
    3. Presley O'Bannon
    4. Archibald Henderson
    5. Alexander Vandegrift
    6. John A. Lejeune
    7. David M. Shoup
    8. Joe Foss
    9. Pappy Boyington
    10. Jack Webb
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO,,,
    No meaning to any of this,,, it is all BOOB TOOB BLATHER!!!

Somebody's idea of an entertaining way to sell advertising[:o)]!!

I still want to know who killed Jon Benet!!![:(!]

,,,sod[;)]

cyclone.gif

Colby.gif
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    That list is so ridiculous. I don't see how anyone of intelligence can take the list serious.

I am not a number I am a free man

sig

Volin.gif
  • PrebanpartsPrebanparts Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oprah no loger tells the story of when she had no money she hid a jar of macadamia nuts in a grocery store and each time she went in the store she would eat some..when she became a star she proudly went in to the store and paid for the jar of nuts she had STOLEN

Yes, she was a thef and yes she was poor..I could understand someone stealing bread, milk, etc to survive but that pig stole macadamia nuts, XPNSIVe and high fat content.. Not to suvive, but because she loves them and could not afford them..>A real American Hero she is NOT
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Cut Oprah some slack! She was born a poor black child. Lost her eye and was a slave in Roots. Later a prostitute on Hollywood Avenue. Now she puts cars under audiences seats.

What a gal.......

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    There is 3 or 4 there that should not have made the top 100

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I think #1 should be John "Johnny Wadd" Holmes. [:D]

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
    edited November -1
    DWS- Now there's a list I can live with!
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Posted by forthehorseman:
    quote:How about Teddy (Roosevelt)? If it weren't for him basically starting the national park/conservation movement, we might have already paved over most of America.

If it weren't for TR the states might still own the land that was
    "appropriated" by the fedgov and the tradition of big, centralized government might never have gained a foothold.
    Heck, if it weren't for TR, we might pay something more than lip service to the term "state's rights".
    He was a sportsman, but he did great damage to this country.
    Damage that will not and cannot ever be repaired!
    JMHO

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice.
    Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
    Barry Goldwater
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I know who I think is important and could care less what anyone else thinks.

1. Chesty Puller
    2. Manila John Basilone
    3. Presley O'Bannon
    4. Archibald Henderson
    5. Alexander Vandegrift
    6. John A. Lejeune
    7. David M. Shoup
    8. Joe Foss
    9. Pappy Boyington
    10. Jack Webb

Do you know what the Marine Corps insignia is? It's a bird with an anchor tied to his leg to remind him that his * belongs to the Navy!!!
    [}:)][;)][:D]
  • fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about Thomas Crapper(no s**t, that's his real name!), the inventor of the modern toilet. Now there's someone who's had an effect on everybody's life![:D][:D]

99% of all lawyers make the rest look bad.
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mpolans

True, the marines a a department of the navy.....the mens department

P.S. thanks for the ride into combat.

danski
  • bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DWS has a point...notice the almost complete absence of military leaders on this list...without men willing to take up arms, just what would oprah be doing today?

You dudes get lost now, ya hear!
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Why the hell isn't Teddy Roosevelt or even John Wayne on that list. Bull****!

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    * Opra

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strange really. I don't see her as even in the top twenty. Says a lot about exercise and outdoor activities. Looks like a lot of couch taters were surveyed.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 96harley
    Strange really. I don't see her as even in the top twenty. Says a lot about exercise and outdoor activities. Looks like a lot of couch taters were surveyed.
    Forget the top twenty. Let's just make three lists: Good Americans, Nobodies, and Bad Americans. Is Oprah even in the first list, much less a ranking member of it?
  • CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ZERODIN
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4631421.stm

Can someone tell me how Oprah, Clinton, or even Elvis made this list? Lincoln shouldn't even be on it! I mean, if they're going to poll 2.4 million illiterate Americans, how did they find so many who aren't in the South? [;)]

And where is Jefferson? Didn't he write something once, somewhere back in 1776?

1 Ronald Reagan
    2 Abraham Lincoln
    3 Martin Luther King
    4 George Washington
    5 Benjamin Franklin
    6 George W Bush
    7 Bill Clinton
    8 Elvis Presley
    9 Oprah Winfrey
    10 Franklin D Roosevelt

This is the biggest crap list I have ever seen cmon bill clinton and okrah windbag? for christs sakes people are on crack im surprised that hugh heffner didnt make the list. I cant understand why pat tillman didnt even make the top 10. Elvis doesnt make any sence either.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder

"Are you a photographer?"
    "No im a combat correspondant"
    "Well you seen much combat?"
    "Yeah I seen a little on TV"
    "Youre a real comedian"
    "Well they call me the Joker"
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    I think #1 should be John "Johnny Wadd" Holmes. [:D]

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
    Johnny "Wad" was a heroin addict and liked to pack fudge as much as he canned tuna![;)]

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
    edited November -1
    mpolans- To paraphrase the supporting actor in A Few Good Men, We really appreciate the navy, everytime we need to go fight a war, they give us a boatride to the action. Actually, if I had it to do over, and got to pick my job, I'd be a hospital corpsman assigned to a Marine grunt unit- now there's a job that should be on the list.