In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 mag scopes

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
I am looking for a decent scope to mount on my .357 mag this year for hunting. I will not be using it for hunting much after this year. Are there any good ones out there for under $100? Perhaps the Simmons ProHunter. What power should I be looking to get 4x...2x??? Any help is appreciated.

A. Golden
S&W .357 mag
S&W SW99 9mm
Desert Eagle .50AE
Springfield 1911 .45ACP
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Remington 11-87
Winchester 1892 44-40
Always looking for more!

Comments

• Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a Bushnell Phantom 1.3X mounted on my Smith and Wesson Model 28 .357 mag. I've mounted pistol scopes up to 7x, but i like the lower powered scopes a lot more.

I have Burris Scout Scope LER in 2.75X (new, never mounted on any gun)that cost me a couple hundred bucks and I couldn't give it away for $50 bucks the other day, even when I promised to donate the money to ehlerdave.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Don't get anything more than about 2X for handgun hunting; a more powerful scope can lose your animal quicker than you can swing the gun up to look through it.
    I have a Tasco Pro-Point on my Security 6, and a Big Dot on my GP-100; never a problem with too narrow a field of view. Once sighted in properly; these red dots can put that projectile into the dot out to 250yds.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have a Leupold M8-EER 2x on a Mdl 29. It is as good a scope as I can use on a handgun. I see no reason for more magnification on a gun used for big game.