In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I am gonna go broke

branwheat007branwheat007 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
edited January 2005 in General Discussion
Worst idea Ford ever did was make a 17" wheel. The selection of tires is next to none and the price of tires is through the roof. The only tire I can find in a 285/70/17 is BFG A/T's and they are gonna cost $205 per tire. What am I gonna do?

Comments

• Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Make your own tires out of kickballs and pencil erasers.

iLoveMN.jpg
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    205 per tire installed that sucks.

I payed for 17 inches dunlop, i think would have to look for sure, $560 installed, the same BFG that you have there was $700 something installed.

So you need to get away from BF goodrich tires. they are too expensive.

edit, I got A/T mud tires.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    quote:I am gonna go broke

Beat ya to it.
    Try marrying a gal with college debt from two masters degrees.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Tried looking online for tires?....

cute_skunk.gif

Hudson.gif
    Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    SAMS CLUB!

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.tirerack.com

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    205 a tire isn't bad for good tires. My roommate has 36" BFG on his Ford with 17" rims and it ran him 1300.00 installed and balanced.

My Tundra also has 17s on it and I plan on paying a atleast 800.00 for tires in about 20K miles.

Another solution would be to sell your 17s and get some 16s for your Ford. It's the whole big rim trend that makes FORD and other car makers do dumb stuff like this.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep.. them big tires look good until they wear out...
  • Options
    TexasVetTexasVet Member Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could you change wheels & tires?

I mean find some 15" wheels that will work and buy the less expensive 15" tires?
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Bought my last ford my windstar is a piece of crap!!!

pa1.gif

Life is a journey fear no one, Respect Everyone
  • Options
    BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tim, Toyoto and Honda are the only way to go. I can't afford the domestic cars anymore, quality stinks. Terry

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Chrysler Crossfire-18 inch fronts and 19 inch rears. No spare.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    need new tires , its time to trade it off for a new one [:D][}:)]
  • Options
    HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to 16 inch wheels on my '02 F-150 but kept the 265 size. Even though they are 16 inch, they are the same height and have the same roll out as the 17 inch wheels and there is an endless supply of agressive tires in the 16 inch sizes. The smaller wheel also help to keep mud from getting between the wheel and the brake calipers.
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    You have Ford that ran long enough to wear out a set of tires? Contact the Smithsonian, they'll probably want to put it next to Archie Bunker's chair.

tobefree
    My 1st Shot was a bullseye on Gerber baby food lid at 20 ft using a Colt Woodsman. I was age 5. Been driving nails ever since. Thanks Dad, you were the best teacher I ever had.
  • Options
    CELTIC317CELTIC317 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    17INCH? HMMMM... SKIP THE RIMS BUY REGULAR RIMS AND SAVE THE CASH FOR A NEW GUN... YOU'LL GET MORE ENJOYMENT AND IN 20 YEARS YOU CAN GET YOUR MONEY BACK....WHAT WILL THOSE RIMS BE WORTH THEN?
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    One of my mechanic co-workers said the new Ford pickups we just got came with 7 lug bolt pattern wheels....just so no one could buy any other wheel than a genuine Ford wheel.

They make more money on vehicle parts than they do the vehicle.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have some Weld 17x10s on my F350, on which I got some 37" BFG Krawlers from Costco. They ran about $300 a tire, installed w/future service. But they are well worth it. I had nearly 500 miles on the tires before the little nubbins wore off. About the only shortcoming is that they are a little like those tires on military vehicles that are designed all for traction and none for steering.