In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dove hunt opener tomm... w/ Dads Winchester (pics)

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
Winchester Win Lite 12 GA 3 2/4 CHAM
7904059598_76515609a4_m.jpg
7904063410_fc02071717_m.jpg
7904062672_6b951db3d6_m.jpg
7904058102_3cb07b3cef_m.jpg

Dads shotgun will be on my lap and he will be calling the shots from above tommorow. The first time he wont be there, and I am going to miss him. He had Rugers and Weatherbys, but this gun was his favorite shotgun. Not much to look at but he told the story of how he bought it at a Western Auto and was in love with the way it swung. ( I always thought it was too light b/c the barrel is made of some sort of fiberglass?? ) But tomm I can only hope to shoot as well as he used to. Thanks for listening and if you have pics of any "heirlooms" I would love to see them and hear their tale...
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kick thier fanny's today. Your Dad will be Proud.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those swing well after getting to know them--good luck to you [:)]
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's for dinner and enjoy
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12 ga for doves???, they must be a lot meaner out your way than around here.......... wouldn't leave much more than a poof of feathers would it???
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    12 ga for doves???, they must be a lot meaner out your way than around here.......... wouldn't leave much more than a poof of feathers would it???

They are fast and the spaces are real open. My brother did use a 20 and faired ok.

On to the field report: I actually took 2 shotguns. The Rem 11-87 "parkerized" and Dad's win lite. Started out with the Rem and it was heavy and upon loading I found not plugged... So it went back to the truck and out came the Win lite. 9 birds and I only had to use 8 shells... ... out of the second box of 25 [:D]. I love it the light weight and it really reduces fatigue. I was shooting Ok. The birds were pretty high and I made some pretty good shots. Sometimes I knew it was a gamble but shot anyway. I know now why I dont gamble... The birds didnt fly until about 5 and came at us in 2 to 6 at a time. My brother brought his wife and son and daughter and my other brother was there too. Dad was with us because it was one of the best shoots in many years. I love my win lite...

Thanks Dad!
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    I'm sitting in a field right now waiting for the evening hunt. Never hunted doves before. Hard to tell them from other birds. I prefer duck hunting since ducks are easy to tell what they are.
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Oh and PS its freaking hot out here. Like ducking hunting better for the cold weather also haha.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Since 7/8 oz of shot is that same number of #8s regardless whether it's a 12,16,20 or 28, the main difference is in how much gun do you want to carry/shoot. Sounds like a good combo for doves- hope you did well[:)]