In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

All you who Laugh at California

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
About their earthquakes. Well you in the mid west better get ready.

quote:

PASADENA, Calif. - Earthquake activity in the New Madrid Seismic Zone in the central United States does not seem to be slowing down. In a new study published in the journal "Science," seismologists Morgan Page and Susan Hough of the U.S. Geological Survey investigate whether current quakes in the region could be aftershocks of large earthquakes that occurred 200 years earlier.

Using extensive computer modeling of aftershock behavior, they show that the dearth of moderate (Magnitude 6) earthquakes following the series of large earthquakes in 1811-1812, combined with the high rates of small earthquakes today, is not consistent with the long-lived aftershock hypothesis.

A debate has swirled in recent years, fueled in part by past studies suggesting that continuing New Madrid seismic activity could be the tail end of a long-lived aftershock sequence following the 1811-1812 earthquakes. If modern activity is an aftershock sequence, the argument goes, then there is no evidence that stress is currently building in the zone. Instead, Page and Hough conclude that the current level of activity must be the signature of active, ongoing processes that continue to generate stress in the region -stress that we expect will eventually be released in future large earthquakes. In other words, the New Madrid Seismic Zone is not dead.

The New Madrid Seismic Zone in the central United States produced 4 large earthquakes with magnitudes upwards of 7 over the winter of 1811-1812. Over the last two centuries, small quakes have continued to occur in the zone at a higher rate than elsewhere in the central United States. Geologic evidence also shows that large earthquake sequences occurred there in about 1450 A.D. and 900 A.D.

Comments

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the earthquake, in 1811 I believe, caused the Mississippi river run backwards for 4 days. a huge land mass in western Tennessee sank forming Reelfoot Lake. the New Madrid fault is a major one some say bigger than the San Andreas fault.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    So does that mean when the big one hits, Missouri will fall into the Gulf of Mexico?
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    So does that mean when the big one hits, Missouri will fall into the Gulf of Mexico?
    No it will be swept into Canada by the Mississippi flowing backwards.[;)][:D]
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

No it will fall into California and knock California into the Pacific.[;)]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the past 40 years i have heard about the "great quake" that will open up from chicago to dallas. We have teetiny little quakes here all the time. I never knew how many until i got my first apt. The first few times i thought I was imagining things. But evrry wkend in the wee hours of the morning while watching a movie in the peaceful calm and quiet i could feel the building move just ever so much.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The New Madrid Earthquake" by William Atkinson is considered the best comprehensive look at the earthquakes in 1811-1812. too many you tube videos to list here, but its safe to say most people don't realize the enormity of the fault zone known as New Madrid. the quakes in California are mere shimmy shakes compared to the NM 1811 event.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JnRockwall
    For the past 40 years i have heard about the "great quake" that will open up from chicago to dallas. We have teetiny little quakes here all the time. I never knew how many until i got my first apt. The first few times i thought I was imagining things. But evrry wkend in the wee hours of the morning while watching a movie in the peaceful calm and quiet i could feel the building move just ever so much.

Me, too, but in my case it is EVERY day and night.
    I think it might be the train running on the tracks 2 blocks North of my house. [:D] [:D] [:D]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if a big one happens there now many people will die...very few lived in the area in 1811-12
  • Options
    cmancman Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Using extensive computer modeling....."

oh ya computer modeling, that's what gave us this global warming crapola.
    they can't figure out if it's going to rain or snow here tomorrow i'm not to impressed with their computer skills!
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anything destroys CA, it will be its own state government with its leftist ideology.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite

No it will fall into California and knock California into the Pacific.[;)]

That my theory. The Midwest quakes are just doing us a favor trying to help CA fall into the ocean.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We don't laugh at California for earthquakes, It is their idiotic laws and politics we laugh at.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't laugh about CA earthquakes; the massive loss of life that will happen some day is not funny.

I don't laugh at their laws or politics, either. I fear them. Unlike Bubonic Plague, there is no way to stop liberalism; it is virulent & a threat to the greatest country on Earth.

Neal
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    the Intermountian reagion will be an island
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I recall a woman that was given a lot of press back in 1998 or 9 about a recurring dream she'd have where in the year 2000 a topographic map of the US was Pacific ocean clear into Idaho.