In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Barn burning. (Lots of pics; dial up beware)

Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
My mom wanted this old grain building destroyed years ago. I decided a few weeks ago to just knock it down, then set it on fire. It sounded plausible, even fairly straight forward, in theory.

Before:
img024.jpg

My future brother in law, Shane, and I worked it over with demo-hammers and crowbars for a day:

This bin had thousands of empty ammonia nitrate bags in it. They were empty, but I wasn't risking the residual amount in the bags being exposed to fire.
img026.jpg

img027.jpg

img028.jpg

I assumed I could simply pull out the inside supporting beams, which would collapse one side, and then do the same to the other. After ten different pulls, and busting every inside beam and crossing supports, the barn was still standing. It finally went down around pull fifteen, and then completely when we wrapped the chain around what was left of the front wall and pulled inwards.

We tossed an evergreen tree we removed from my parents windbreak that grew too big for its placement. Then, I decided to cover it with a half-gallon of highly distilled camp fuel; luckily I still have my eyebrows, but just barely.

After the initial fireball from the fuel going up, the fire died down slightly, and then built back up...and that's where the problem started. Have you ever planned something, and then a point comes when your inner voice makes the observation that you may have entered into something above your abilities? Well, that happend to me when the fire started burning the grass around it and started to spread to the pasture and towards the ditch. Not a big deal, I had it under control, until the rural fire department truck stopped pumping water. Then I started to panic. Luckily, Shane figured out the hose still worked, only without the spray head. A little while later my friend showed up with the back up truck, after speeding 100mph to go get it when the blaze grew 30ft high. He put a replacement head on the hose, and we had everything under control in ten minutes or so.

Here's what the building looked like an hour and a half later:

img032.jpg

All that's left now is to remove the rocks, tin, and millions upon millions of nails.

Comments

• D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I wish I had that wood for projects.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you realize that there are people that pay top dollar for naturally aged barn wood?

They even come and take it down themselves.

That was only a couple thousand dollars worth of wood you burned.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    I wish I had that wood for projects.

Way too dry, and too many nails. All of it splintered when we tried to pull some off to save.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    7riverman7...it`s too damn late to tell him that now[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    Do you realize that there are people that pay top dollar for naturally aged barn wood?

They even come and take it down themselves.

That was only a couple thousand dollars worth of wood you burned.

Yeah, people were saying that for years. My mom told them, "Come and get it." No one did, so now it's gone. She wanted it gone, so I got rid of it. And now she's happy to have that ugly * decaying barn gone.

Oh, and about 75% of the boards suffered from dry rot. See the beams in the "hall" of the barn? They all were bowed 15% out of straight, and riddled with rot.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,024 ******
    edited November -1
    "After ten different pulls, and busting every inside beam and crossing supports, the barn was still standing..."

Aspen, we traveled west on I-64 through Kentucky once after a tornado had ripped through the state. Most of the old barns were still standing, but several new-looking barns were piles of rubble.
    edited November -1
    All of the rough cut 2x6 and any of the siding would have been used for making rustic cabinetry and picture frames and window trim.

Here people actually put up huge snow fences made of wood for the winter and trade the boards out yearly.

Selling them as weathered wood, cupped and crowned and gray and ugly.

It would have been worth my time to drive out to your place and tear the place down.

Anything 2 ft and longer is worth good money! If its rough cut, the price skyrockets.

Advice for the future![;)]
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    and that looked like tongue n groove siding to me.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Where the hell are the photos of it burning?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    "After ten different pulls, and busting every inside beam and crossing supports, the barn was still standing..."

Aspen, we traveled west on I-64 through Kentucky once after a tornado had ripped through the state. Most of the old barns were still standing, but several new-looking barns were piles of rubble.

Yeah, after a while we really wanted to know what was keeping it up. We videoed it for my little brother. We finally got to a point in the pull down where I said, "F it! Good enough." I'm glad we did, because it would've got out of hand real quick it we hadn't.

7RiverMan7: All the siding was crap. And, at least twenty guys in the area had said the same thing for years. It can't be worth that much if no one every showed up to take it.
    edited November -1
    A%20dresser%20med.jpg
    $3,000
    0101.jpg
    These are the types of kitchen I build
    Vanity%20-%20Barnwood%20with%20Wild%20Wood%201.jpg
    And vanities
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

My mom got some of it, and Shane managed some video after the fire was under control. I was running around turning the area around it into a swamp to keep it under control.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se

My mom got some of it, and Shane managed some video after the fire was under control. I was running around turning the area around it into a swamp to keep it under control.
    You can't just title the thread "barn burning photos" then not post any photos of it burning! I feel cheated!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se

You can't just title the thread "barn burning photos" then not post any photos of it burning! I feel cheated!

I'll send you a refund in the mail. [:p]
    edited November -1
    Here are some fire photos so others dont feel cheated.

506300_1.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    hey 7riverman,
    great looking cabinets in the kitchen! do you build them or just face them?
    nice work either way!
    tom
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barn is half full of 50 year old hay. I still am not sure how it will be knocked down and burned. That hay will smolder forever.
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well riverman needs to come on over to iowa, we'll fill up any size truck he could dream of.[:D]
  • speedbuggy16vspeedbuggy16v Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

the siding WAS dutch lap, hard to find now and incredibly expensive, and exactly what I needed for my old POS house...
    have to replace some rotted, and splice in where new windows are going, and old windows are gone... anybody got a old house with that in kansas that they are going to demo, let me know PLEASE!

speedbuggy16v
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know of several people that pay to tear down old barns and such....just so they can keep the wood.

7RiverMan7 that is nice.....VERY nice....
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    7RiverMan7;

That is just gorgeous work.

Oy! That kitchen...!
  • Ox190Ox190 Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7Riverman7 that second picture of the full kitchen is just beautiful.
    edited November -1
    Everybody,

I didn't build that stuff. Those are just pics of the types of things I do build.

I don't have any work right now but I am capable of those results!

Sorry for the confusion.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Some vandals torched an old mill here in Augusta last year constructed almost entirely of heart pine during the 1850's. Estimated salvage value of that pine was in SEVEN figures. Recycled heart pine flooring goes for 10-15 bucks a BRD FT. That barn could been salvaged and the wood sold. Just takes TIME. Back in the 70's I helped this guy salvage wood from WWII Barracks at FT Gordon. Twas hard work but got some beautiful pine from those buildings. No 45 degree cuts in those hardly. Learned a lot about construction too.
    Most fun was taking down the chimneys. We 'd put an old car jack in the fire box and start ratcheting up. Over it went. Lotsa Brick cleaning after that. Majority crashed like dominos when they hit.Some tho were constructed using Concrete mix for mortor. When they hit they only broke into about four or five pieces. Found some real neat STUFF hidden in those old bldgs. Course if we found any weapons or ordnance they were turned into the MP's[;)][;)]. I had quite a collection of WWII era adult "ILLUSTRATED READING" material.50's too. exWife found the stuff and said WE need to burn it. you know the rest of the story[V]
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    i would have torn that down, organized my lumber, cleaned the area and paid you around a grand to two for that lumber depending on what shape it is. but then again it is location.

high end homes in montana use that stuff for flooring, wall panels and decorative trim.

but then again, fire is cool. i would have been tempted to burn it also.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.
    We dont need no water let the mudda fudda burn.
    burn mudda fudda burn.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tore down a building years ago with rough sawn lumber in it. I had visions of selling the lumber. Real diminisions 2x4's were 2inch x 4 inch. I had a huge pile of wood that was harder than rocks. You could barely cut it. Ended up piling it all up and burning it, AFTER all the work of trying to make a few bucks.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I kept hearing people say they were going to come and tear it down and sell the lumber. But, none ever did it. After the time and energy invested, you'd make more money working a part-time job.

Captplaid, Cartod: Those pictures look similar to it. Only I'm not standing 10ft away with a dead fire hose trying to control it. [;)]
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    A%20dresser%20med.jpg
    $3,000
    0101.jpg
    These are the types of kitchen I build
    Vanity%20-%20Barnwood%20with%20Wild%20Wood%201.jpg
    And vanities

I like that vanity, what does something like that cost, with the sink and faucets?
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See the show Axe Men the guy yanks a bunch of old dock logs out and makes awesome mantels and stuff out of the wood.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    That wood also makes great wood for deer mounts and such.