In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Getting a Dog "Fixed"........... Rant

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,866 ***** Forums Admin
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Long story short, In January my wife finds this dog that had been dumped. Well we don't seem to be finding a home for the thing, it is a yellow Lab with maybe some Shepard. Anyway, since the thing is about a year old now and just keeps living here, I had the wife call the vet to see about getting him fixed. $280.00 was the quote, WTH??? To cut the nads off a dog?? That ain't happening! She called another vet and he was a little cheaper, but not much. Any other ideas? Think I could survive putting one of those calf bands on him?[:0]

Comments

• txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get rid of the wife, so she won't do that again! Mine does the same dang thing! "He keeps coming back!" He only comes back because you feed him!
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    if you band him you wont be his friend
    rember they have TEETH lots of TEETH
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately surgery on a dog has gotten expensive.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Have somebody hold his head with a choke collar and take care of it like we do cattle...a razor blade and pray on antibiotics...should heal up ok.

I cannot bring myself to neuter a male dog...just too damn personal.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Where are you?...type into google low cost spay/neuter programmes...

Paws here will do it for under 40 bucks...and they do a great job...drop the animal in the am, surgery during the day, pick up later...pain meds given for home...

By the way that is dirt cheap compared to the vets here..

Okay, read your profile, found out approx area...

click the link for low cost spay neuter clinics and then just check them out..

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=low+cost+spay+and+neuter+clinics+in+Aberdeen,+Washington&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=low+cost+spay+and+neuter+clinics+in+
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Why you want to "fix" him?

He keep trying to hump your leg?
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if you can take it to the Humane Society just to be fixed? They charge somewhere around $40 to adopt a pet and I think that is to cover the spay/neuter charge.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That price is at least three times what it should be. I'd check with at least one more Vet.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    rubberband...

I don't know for sure, but I don't think the rubber band would work on a dog. It works on sheep and cattle because they can't bend over and scratch themselves with their teeth like a dog can. Plus dogs are a little smarter than sheep and cattle.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Banding can go horribly wrong, resulting in gangrene and all sorts of horrible complications.

All I can tell you is what I'd do.

And that's take him to a vet and have it done properly. You'd hate to maim or kill thr poor son-of-a-*, wouldn't ya?
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats way too high for a vet and a male dog,unlike a female its not a surgery,,just a slit and nip,I just had my dog done and it was $75,,years back when I was much younger living in Louisiana where they still deer hunt with dogs I have seen a many dog cut out in the dog pen before season started so they would chase deer and not the females in heat,all they ever used was an antiseptic spray and a sharp knife
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    rubberband...

I don't know for sure, but I don't think the rubber band would work on a dog. It works on sheep and cattle because they can't bend over and scratch themselves with their teeth like a dog can. Plus dogs are a little smarter than sheep and cattle.

Justg rub some magnesium on his pecans, and drive him around in the back or your pickup in a lightning storm. Should solve the problem.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Remember the Clintons' Lab Buckey. Never could get him to settle down. So Hillary had Buckey "FIXED". Only problem was she forgot to "fix" her other "dog"[:0]
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Getting a Dog "Fixed"...........

OK- how did you break him in the first place???[:p]
  • dave40glockdave40glock Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THE HUMANE SOCIETY DO A NEUTER, A SPAY FOR FREE IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN YOU FOUND THE THE DOG AND WANT TO KEEP IT BUT DONT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO FIX HIM OR HER AN THEY WILL GIVE YOU A VOUCHER FOR THERE CLINIC AT LEAST THATS WHAT THEY OFFER HERE IN MICHIGAN HOPE THIS HELPS
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    Call your local pound and see what they charge, or if they will. I think there are some out there that will spay or neuter animals before they are sold.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    MT..I have to chuckle a little. You think enough of 'ol rusty to have him taken care of by a professional. That bespeaks volumes towards your character.

Now, dime to a 'jankee dolla, you and "ol rusty" will bond.

..Joseph hath spoken.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    I wonder if you can take it to the Humane Society just to be fixed? They charge somewhere around $40 to adopt a pet and I think that is to cover the spay/neuter charge.

HSA anti hunter anti gun. no joke[:(!]
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    See if there is a vet college near by.

Also, hte humane society (at least around here) will give a coupon to have it done, you pay them $50 or so, get a coupie for a free snippie
  • bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iwannausername
    See if there is a vet college near by.

Also, hte humane society (at least around here) will give a coupon to have it done, you pay them $50 or so, get a coupie for a free snippie

Vet Med College is more expensive. Even with my discount [xx(]