In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

National anthem now being played in spanish

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
HITTING A SOUR NOTE
Friday, April 28, 2006

First came the protests, then boycotts. And now, a Spanish language version of the Star Spangled Banner. Its release is drawing lots of controversy as Congress prepares to resume debate on immigration reform next week.

It is called "Nuestro Himno" or "Our Anthem,` recorded by Latin pop artists and supported by many Latinos. It sounds like the Star Spangled Banner, but parts of the translation are different with no references to rockets or bombs bursting in air. Instead, the phrase "We Are Equals. We Are Brothers." Translate the national anthem? Yes, critics say. But why change it?

Mark Krikorian with the Center for Immigration Studies says, "This is saying `We`re here, you better get used to it, and we`re gonna adapt your symbols in any way we want."

Here`s what President Bush had to say: "I think the National Anthem ought to be sung in English." Supporters insist it`s a tribute, translated to broaden the song`s appeal to the millions of immigrants who don`t speak English.

Even some Hispanic Americans are calling the song appalling. The song is being played by radio stations around the country. Simultaneously, tonight many of those weighing in on the song are also involved in Monday`s work, school and economic boycott. But not all immigrant groups support it. Some say they want to work with Congress before drawing a line in the sand.

Comments

• Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The world is just going down the toilet. Very sad. It was written in English and should be sung in English!
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    The great great great grandson of Francis Scott Key lives up the road from here and was interviewed on the local news about it.

... among other things he said, "Ridiculous!"

Nailed that one![:D]
  • Options
    AlbertLumAlbertLum Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    on the local news they said they plan to sing that national anthem at a dodgers game this year.
  • Options
    calamituitouscalamituitous Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AlbertLum
    on the local news they said they plan to sing that national anthem at a dodgers game this year.

I am a Dodger Fan, and if they did that I would not go to a game for a long time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I'm afraid these damn illegals are right...America is on the fast track to it's own demise...all while we sit back and watch/let it happen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:ECC:
    I'm afraid these damn illegals are right...America is on the fast track to it's own demise...all while we sit back and watch/let it happen.

WATCHING it happen is bad enough!

NOW, we have to LISTEN to it happen![:(!][:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The National Anthem is about American pride, not Hispanic or African American pride. Plain old American pride that so many "Served" and "Died" for, there's no room for change....
  • Options
    boredbored Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    But did anyone hear what President Bush had to say about it? He said something to the affect " Its an American song. If you are going to sing it learn english." "If your going to live in America learn to speak english.". I just caught it on the radio but cant remeber what he said exactly. Atleast he is standing up for it. Damn illegals [:(!]
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    quote: sing that national anthem

that is not a national anthem, that is a meanieization of our national anthem.

We have only 1 anthem, and I beleive it was an act of congress that specifically wrote down what out national anthem is.... and guess what all the words are english ones... there can be no spanish national anthem without an act of congress...

Next thing you know they will try and add an ammendment to the constitution written in spanish.....

This is pissing me off.... Im not sure whether to speak up and be labeled as a racist by everyone around me (illegal, legal, citizens, white or mexican), or just say f*ck it... our nations time has past and to pick another country that is on the upswing and move there (I'd say china and brazil, brazil is more free and is energy independant)

The romans started with a republican society.... were not very warlike (but when attacked as by carthage, would burn their enemy's cities to the to the ground and wipe them out... Hiroshima anyone?)
    But their people lost the will to fight, lost their unity.

On one hand you had small farm owning romans who would go off to war and bring back slaves and riches... and then the next campaign they went on... theyd find when they get back their land had been taken by the rich(some court proceeding while they were off fighting), and their land was being worked by the very slaves they fought to capture.
    The rich sold their country men out. I think the same is happening in america, except instead of slaves they are selling out american jobs to low wage labor overseas and immigrant labor.
    The middle class roman farmer/soldier was left destiture upon returing home from war(they no longer had one.

For their part... they volentarily voted ceasars absolute power when promised handouts and redistribution of wealth... democrats anyone?

Same damn poop.... rich selling out their country sending the patriots off to die in some stupid war in which the rich got richer.... those that were less fortunate are willing to give up any freedoms they had in return for promises of govt help(welfare, gun laws, patriot act etc), previously conquered/"inferior" peoples/civilizations (japan, mexico, to some extend china etc, roman slaves) are now the main labor force. Everything is made in japan, or done by mexicans, or made in china, just like roman farms were worked by slaves.

And to think... all of our govt buildings are modeled after roman architecture......

So far we've been following their political example too.... doomed to repeat history we are.

I think in another century we will not be a dominant power.... just as britain no longer is (still a respected nation... but no where near the preeminence they once held), and china will be.

Lets not forget the romans had more than one civil war.. perhaps this uncontrolled immigration issue will lead to our 2nd