In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Houston D.A. ignores new law!

gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
Here's a little story from the Houston paper explaining what OTHER things can keep you from getting a CCW in Texas (which used to be required to carry a gun in your vehicle).
The idiot District Attorney has decided that, regardless of the new law; drivers will be persecuted for having a gun without the now-not-mandated CCW permit.

"More than 237,000 Texans have concealed handgun licenses. But many other law-abiding adults don't have licenses because they are disqualified by exceptions that have nothing to do with public safety, said Alice Tripp, a lobbyist for the Texas State Rifle Association, an NRA affiliate.

Tripp said people who have defaulted on student loans, who owe the state sales tax or franchise tax payments or are behind in child support payments are ineligible to receive a license."

As long as pinheads continue to ignore the will of the electorate when they "interpret" a plainly-stated ordinance into something it was never intended to be; there will be unfair and capricious justice in our land.

"Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit" --OVID

Comments

• Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see what you're getting at. There's an existing law that says failure to pay taxes and child support can be a bar to getting all sorts of licenses and permits (drivers license, hunting license, law license, etc.) and a CCW.

IIRC, there's a separate law that says you no longer need a CCW to carry a gun in the glove box of your car.

I don't see anything in the quotes you've provided that indicate the Harris County DA office is going to start prosecuting people for having a gun in the glove box. Did you accidentally leave that part out?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Second sentence, first paragraph, that's pretty much what he said. He substituted "persecuted" for "prosecuted", but in this case, I'd say that's appropriate.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read this story too. The D.A. openly said "we are going to make the arrests and let the judicial system work it out." Now come on, how can you get away with openly defying a law as a prosecuting attorney and then tell the taxpayers they are going to foot the bill.
    Oh God, please make it stop!!!

It cannot be presumed that any clause in the constitution is intended to be without effect;... - Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 174 (1803).

The Constitution is a written instrument. As such, its meaning does not alter. That which it meant when it was adopted, it means now. - South Carolina v. United States, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905).

History is clear that the first ten amendments to the Constitution were adopted to secure certain common law rights of the people, against invasion by the Federal Government. - Bell v. Hood, 71 F. Supp., 813, 816 (1947) U.S.D.C., So. Dist. CA.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mpolans

IIRC, there's a separate law that says you no longer need a CCW to carry a gun in the glove box of your car.

not sure what u mean (if your talking about Texas), but this butthead of a DA will even go forth even if the gun is in the glove compartment, or any where a cop can get his paws on it if someone lets the cop do a search. DA in this case means DUMB *

drinking, hunting, to many to list so just doing manly things
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    The law makes it permissable to "travel" with a handgun in the vehicle. Some of the DA's say the law does not clearly define what "travelling" is. Is travelling driving across the county? Is it across three counties? Or, is it around the corner to the convenience store? So, they are going to continue to prosecute Unlawfully Carrying a Weapon (UCW) charges. What's the saying? You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride. Ultimately, one of these cases will be appealled. The appellate court will have to make a ruling and set precedence.

texasC.gifthumb_Texas-AM.jpg

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy