In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hip Replacement

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,467 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
The wife had a total hip replacement done on Monday afternoon.

She is walking with a walker now, and will be coming home this afternoon, about 48 hours after she went under the knife.

I am continually amazed at what modern medicine can do.
Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happy to hear she is doing well. A good friend of mine had both done at once (rather unusual) about 3 months ago a is a new man. Yes, it's amazing what can be done anymore. The real question is if modern medicine can do anything for Don. :)
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great news.. My Mom went through that about two years ago and she says she wishs she had done it ten years earlier.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,347 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    That's great news!!
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayers. my cousin Joann is in surgery as I type this for a hip replacement and she is only 40. Hope your wife heals fast. Oakie
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A shooter here is going for his first hip soon.
    After that, the worse knee, then the other hip and knee.
    All four big joints, one at a time. If his nerve lasts.
    When I was in rehab for ortho work, there was a guy who had both knees done at once. He was getting ambulatory about as fast as the single siders. And done with it.
    Phew.
  • KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason they send you home so much sooner than before has nothing to do with medical advancements but rather the lack there of. Every hospital out there is so full of staph that it is less dangerous to send some one home right after having major surgery than to have them stay and get an infection. Hospitals have been using antibiotics, hand sanitizer and disinfectants for so long that all these staph infections are now becoming resistant or immune to them. The last three family members I've had in hospital for extended stay have all three contracted staph for a total loss of 4 knees and one colon.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's good news for your wife. Nearly everyone I know that has had a hip replaced has had good results. A friend of mine 70 years old was bowling 8 days later. My son 47 had his done last March and was running his tractor and four wheeler 3 weeks later.

I got knocked down last July by about a 10 year old girl and broke my hip. I was needing a replacement anyway so they went ahead and did it, I never got to where I could weight bear on that leg and never got off the walker. In January of this year they went in and did revision surgery on it and replaced the cup. Now I'm still on a cane and it's still hard to bear weight on that leg. I have done all their excersizes, therapy and water therapy. It's getting better little by little.

Make your wife stick to her excersizes, she'll do well.
    standard.jpg
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad your wife is doing well.

One of my coworkers had a double hip replacement a few years ago. He told me that he was up on his feet just a few hours after waking up in the recovery ward.

My dad just had his second knee replacement around Christmas, and he was on his back for the better part of 2 weeks.

Everyone says hip replacements are significantly easier than knees.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,467 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She is putting her full weight on a leg she could put no weight on for the last 4 months.

I feel like a 5 year old on Christmas morning.

Thanks for the prayers, thoughts and advice.

All are much appreciated.

Brad Steele
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    She is going to be a new person in a few more months.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They get you up and moving to keep the muscles from deteriorating from laying around plus the infection stated above. Back in the 50s my dad had one of the first spinal fussions operations and they had him in bed for 6 month and only getting up for the bathroom and his muscles were shot. He had three spinal operations over 25 years and the last one they had him up the next day.

Please watch her for any sign of infections that come from the Hospital or other places.
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Victor said hips are easier recoveries than full knees. They don't cut ligaments in the hip, nor as many with a partial knee replacement.

Good luck and keep her moving.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    us55840 said:

"Yes, it is amazing what modern medicine can do."
    It is. They saw your femur, the thigh bone, in two, and replace the top of the femur with a titanium implant. It is incredible.

And, he said:

"It is also amazing how bad they can screw up a persons' life sometimes, even in these modern times with all their technology."

This is also true. I came down with some weird ailments, 2 decades ago, and went to 14 different doctors and got nowhere. The docs were just incompetent. Spent many many thousands on useless tests. Wound up getting the proper diagnosis at a health food store. I had to treat myself. Finally got straightened out after 12 years. I hold these docs in contempt.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They can even fix a guy who drops a tree on himself.[}:)]

I had a total knee replacement in January. I was told it would be a year, maybe, if ever, before I could kneel or work on my knees. Just under 5 months and I am replacing baseboards.

I sure wish my friend Wundudnee was doing as well.[:(]

A good surgeon is key and working hard on the therepy is also key.

If they offer A-Stym tell her to go for it. If not tell her to ask for it. Makes a world of difference on healing, minimizing scarring and minimizing adhesions. There is a web site with better information.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dale I didn't know you had TKR. You are doing baseboards just 3 months later, that is really good. I had a very good result on my TKR but not as good as yours; I can't kneel down. Doc said I could do it with no harm to the titanium knee, but, it is very uncomfortable.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good to hear she is doing well.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife had three hip replacements.
    The last, a revision, was screwed up in that a retractor?? muscle in the thigh front wasn't properly attached.
    She is in as much pain as my failed fusion(UVA) with repaired, perforated thecal sac and takes as much hydrocodone.
    We went out of our way to the Hospital For Special Surgery in NYC
    instead of nearby UVA or Martha Jefferson which have good reputations for hip replacements.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******
    edited November -1
    Good news Don. I suppose this means you get to make supper for a while.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,467 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    Good news Don. I suppose this means you get to make supper for a while.

I have been doing it for the past couple of months. I hope she does think this is the new normal.[:)]

Brad Steele
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They had my mom up on the walker almost as soon as she woke up. Best thing she ever did.
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had both Hip's replaced with Titanium and Ceramic replacements and it's definitely like getting Your life back.There are some things You cant do for a while but then after about a year She will forget about having it and do the things She used to do.
    I hope She heals fast.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    I had a "resurfacing" done in 2003. They did the left first then the right 6 weeks later.
    The top of my femurs died.
    I was 34 at the time.
    They put a new steel socket in and a cap with a small stud into my femur.
    This procedure was experimental at the time. They did this type since I was so young.
    In 2010, I had a malfunction in the right implant and had a total hip replacement in it.
    I was walking the night of the procedure for all of them.
    the first one a lot of pain was involved.
    The second, which was the one that failed, I was walking with little trouble the next day.
    On the total, I couldn't do as much at the start but the recovery time was greatly less then with the resurfacing.
    I do know that you do not really realize the pain you have dealt with until it is gone.
    Good luck to your wife and have her do all that her therapist tells her to do. It might hurt but she'll be better off in the long run.