In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A real hypothetical question

dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
If you found out that you had inoperable cancer, would you tell your family? And why? Don

Comments

• Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not until I have to. No use in getting them upset over the invevitable until necessary.
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Yes. Dealing with grief is a long process. Allowing your family to start on that process while they can still talk with you is very important.
  • Options
    needmygunsneedmyguns Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes wouldn't you think they would have the right to know..by the way you are feeling ok arn't you don..
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I agree with elkoholic.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Please tell that this is not the case with you!?!?
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a good question I cant honestly answer, I guess I would have to be in that position to know?
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not believe I would say anything to anyone. Be kind to those you love and slip away from those you hate. Don
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I don't think I'd tell them.

But I would try to get the most solid handle I could on how long I had left.

In the last couple of months, I would make sure some would precede me.

Former wives - are you paying attention ??

Except for Ann.

Doug

* edited for spelling
  • Options
    mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I should have said that I have seen it both ways. Not telling seems to have been the kinder way. The family will learn soon enough to do all the grieving that they need to do. Most of the grieving takes place after one is gone. Before that the family feels obligated to do something and they don't know what, because there is nothing that they can do except feel bad for their loved one. And neither needs that.
  • Options
    davealddaveald Member Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that, you have to tell, because there are so many details that must be taken care of. Idoubt that anyone would want to put all of the preperations on someone they loved.
    I know that you have been to funerals where the spouse never had any idea how there spouse wanted to be buried. I have taken care of several funerals in my short life and I never had one that was easy.
    What would your reaction be if your spouse died, and you found out she knew. Bet you would be pissed.

Now reading the posts here its apperant that many people care about you so answer there question, are you dying?
    I say the above because I am no longer married. I'm going to crawl into the woods and die alone. but I do have my affairs in order.
  • Options
    PaleobrutePaleobrute Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    If you found out that you had inoperable cancer, would you tell your family? And why? Don

Depends on the family. Some of my family members would pester you to death fretting over you needlessly. Sometimes the best intentions only serve to make it "the paramount thing on everyone's mind". I'd say only tell who you had to immediately, get your affairs in order...then give the rest of them two weeks notice (at most), just like at work.

Hope you're not asking this 'for a reason'....
  • Options
    bamafanbamafan Member Posts: 4,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, I have been through something of the same nature. A close family member did not want to be treated any "different" because of what was going to happen.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    My father didn't let any of us know that he had cancer. His death was a major shock to all of us. It was really tough knowing that he knew but didn't tell any of us.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I'd have to tell them or they would pester me to death after they found out wanting to know why I didn't.[V]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it were my wife I would want to know. I'd have to show her the same respect.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elkoholic
    Yes. Dealing with grief is a long process. Allowing your family to start on that process while they can still talk with you is very important.

I agree with Elk. Wisdom dictates that you tell them so that they can begin to go through the process. Which of course would include saying and doing all those things that we wish we had after its too late.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How long has the Dr. given you to live?
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't tell my parents if I have a job interview. Nag. Nag. Nag. We didn't tell them about the pregnancy until we were sure about it. Again, nag nag nag.

Terminal cancer would be different. I suppose they would find out soon enough. The several trips to the doctor would become suspicious.
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have watched relatives suffer from cancer, past the point where they had any choice. Family members like to hold onto hope that there is a cure, and often don't do the right thing.
    I have met Dr. Jack Kevorkian, he is truly a personable man, and I believe a honorable man. I know what I would do.
    I would die with dignity.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I would tell my wife but not the kids until I started to get very sick They might hate me later for it but at their ages losing someone very close to them would be hard enough but I think that giving them 6 months to worry about it would be unfair to them

Maybe I am wrong but that is how I would do it
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    I have watched relatives suffer from cancer, past the point where they had any choice. Family members like to hold onto hope that there is a cure, and often don't do the right thing.
    I have met Dr. Jack Kevorkian, he is truly a personable man, and I believe a honorable man. I know what I would do.
    I would die with dignity.
    Don

I watched my Grampa die of enphezema a slow slow death. Finally they doped him up with morphine. When Grandma was tired at the hospital and in pain I spoke to her alone and ask her how much pain she was in? She said alot. She said she wanted to die and didn't want anymore pain. Nurse came in and heard her. Her days were real close. Finally Grandma told the nurse she needed more morphine. Nurse loaded her up. Grandma died that night in her sleep.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    If it were my wife I would want to know. I'd have to show her the same respect.

this is where I land
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    No. I would only tell them how much I love them.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I found out in the last few weeks that I have prostate cancer. I told my immediate family all but my young children (12,10&6). I think it helps me to try and deal with this.Also the news has spread somewhat throughout the family. I believe people want to help in their own way and maybe right a few wrongs. I know I need to tell a few that I am sorry for things I said or done to them and give them the chance also. Just my thoughts.....Bull
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Bull, good luck with your prognosis. If it means anything, I have heard that prostate cancer can take something like 20 years to finalize. I have had doctors tell me (older ones, of course) that if diagnosed with prostate cancer they would pass on the treatment, 20 yers of quality life being preferred. I am no authority, so do check out your options. God bless.

As for the question, I would tell them.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Well - there you have it, from someone who has actually chosen - And I think he has made the right choice.

Bull, please email me if you would like to talk, and I'll call you - I have some degree of been there, done that, experience.

You will be in my prayers.

Doug
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Thanks Doug and everyone else I will. I am still trying to get a lot done in this life and Lord willing I will. One of them is to make peace with some people and myself. Hopefully I can "listen in " on you guys for a while longer[:)] and I got to get me a 1911 to call my own. Hang in there guys I know I will...Bull[;)][8D]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without question, yes.

I had a good buddy, who had a large and loving family, whom I had not seen for twenty or thirty years, and he had inoperable cancer. He asked me if I could keep a secret, since he knew that we would never meet again in this life. Of course, I gave the man my word, and by the time the family found out about him they were not in any shape to deal with an incredibly shocking reality. Had my friend shared this news with them three to six months earlier, it would not have been nearly so shattering to his friends and family.
    What's next?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bull300wsm
    Thanks Doug and everyone else I will. I am still trying to get a lot done in this life and Lord willing I will. One of them is to make peace with some people and myself. Hopefully I can "listen in " on you guys for a while longer[:)] and I got to get me a 1911 to call my own. Hang in there guys I know I will...Bull[;)][8D]

My prayers and thoughts will be with you and yours, bull.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

My prayers and thoughts will be with you and yours, bull.

Same for me Bull,........I have e-mailed you as you know, but do not want to intrude.
    If you want the info I offered, to talk to a person that has been through it, and is 100% 3 years later,......shoot me that mail!
    My friend has talked about 6 guys through this so far.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    I would leave a letter.
    then I would find everything I needed.
    and attend a service at the west morland baptist chruch.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Yes I would.
    I have known a few to die from cancer. My Mom was one. One of my best friends also died last year from cancer.
    I believe it is important to let people know you are going to die and give them the oppourtunity to do things, by word or general help, that they would not normally do if they believed you were going to be around for several more years.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

That's one of those personal questions that cannot be answered generally. I would not have to tell my wife---she'd know five minutes after seeing her and being aware myself. I'm the kind of person who derives a lot of support from family and friends. I think if I had something as serious as cancer, I'd want them to know and help me cope with the uncertainty.

I pray the question was purely rhetorical.

Clouder..
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the circumstances.

Remember, "cancer" isn't one disease, its dozens of different ones with different prognoses. Small cell lung cancer can kill you in 90 days, but you can live with metastatic prostate cancer for 20+ years.

Personally, the answer would be "yes", I'd tell them, but only after I had already gotten all my affairs in order.

As a practical matter, more likely than not if the family was close with the patient, they'd find out anyway, since its likely the cancer patient would be hospitalized at some point prior to death.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found out in the last few weeks that I have prostate cancer. I told my immediate family all but my young children (12,10&6). I think it helps me to try and deal with this.Also the news has spread somewhat throughout the family. I believe people want to help in their own way and maybe right a few wrongs. I know I need to tell a few that I am sorry for things I said or done to them and give them the chance also. Just my thoughts.....Bull

Sorry to hear it.

I wrote my last post before reading this one.

I'm sure you've heard this already, but so you know, prostate cancer is not the same thing as lung cancer. Many prostate cancers are low-grade and grow extremely slowly. In fact, most men who have prostate cancer ultimately end up dying of something else.