In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need some carry info

joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
edited October 2010 in General Discussion
might be going to SC, don't have a license here in GA. Wouldn't do me any good since SC doesn't recognize GA anyway or the other way around. so whats legal as far as keeping it in my truck?

Comments

• Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    Im really not sure but If you have to carry it make sure its unloaded and Locked in your glovebox if thats an option.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I'd go with unloaded,cased and behind the seat.
    Of course,if U get carjacked,it ain't gonna do U much good..[V]
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    go fast, take chances....
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    South Carolina law:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is:

(a) secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance; or

(b) concealed on or about his person, and he has a valid concealed weapons permit pursuant to the provisions of Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23;
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I remember corretly when I took my class you could carry the gun loaded and in the console or glove box
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I administer the CCW class here in Florida, and The Gun in Car law in SC is virtually the same as here. Our law Reads "Not Readily Accessable?" In Holster, with snap holder, in glove box (loaded or unloaded), in zipper case, ETC ETC,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    I administer the CCW class here in Florida, and The Gun in Car law in SC is virtually the same as here. Our law Reads "Not Readily Accessable?" In Holster, with snap holder, in glove box (loaded or unloaded), in zipper case, ETC ETC,,

yea thats what i remember when i took my class in SC when i lived there. Although you can't have it on you without a license.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is in the law that I posted in the beginning, cant carry it on person without permit.

A woman can have one in her purse , but if she steps outside the car with the purse and no carry permit, then she would be breaking the law..
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 to what has already been said.

You can legally have a LOADED gun in your car in the State of SC without a license/permit if it is in the glovebox, closed console, or trunk. Note that the glovebox does NOT have to be locked.

You CANNOT legally keep a loaded gun "loose" under your seat or tucked in between the seat and console, or on the floor (or anywhere else).

You CAN have the gun legally concealed on your person *IF* (and only if) you have a valid SC CWP or equivalent concealed carry permit from a reciprocal state. The reciprocal state list for SC includes the follwing:

quote:http://www.sled.sc.gov/Reciprocity1.aspx?MenuID=CWP
    South Carolina Reciprocity

RECIPROCITY

As of September 12, 2008, states with which South Carolina has reciprocity are:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Unfortunately, the Georgia State concealed carry permit is NOT valid in SC. It *IS* valid in the following states:

quote:Georgia's Firearm Permit Reciprocity
    http://www.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,5635600_6640623_34375811,00.html

Thank you for visiting the Georgia Department of Public Safety website. Georgia reciprocates in recognizing firearms licenses with the following states:

Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.