In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anybody have a AR-30 platform?

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well it is still an AR-15 platform.

I saw it and not really that interested. It is basically 7.62x39 or a .300 Whisper. At least with the 7.62x39 it is cheep to shoot.

In the .300 Whisper you can load a 125gr bullet to about 2400fps (I know the .30 AR is about 2800). With the Whisper you can run all the way up to 240gr subsonic rounds and anything in between. With the Whisper you can use standard mags loaded to their normal size.

The brass is either necked up .221 Fireball or shortened and sized .223. Which is good for the reloader. The biggest problem with the Whisper is no real source of factory ammo.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    Well it is still an AR-15 platform.

I saw it and not really that interested. It is basically 7.62x39 or a .300 Whisper. At least with the 7.62x39 it is cheep to shoot.

In the .300 Whisper you can load a 125gr bullet to about 2400fps (I know the .30 AR is about 2800). With the Whisper you can run all the way up to 240gr subsonic rounds and anything in between. With the Whisper you can use standard mags loaded to their normal size.

The brass is either necked up .221 Fireball or shortened and sized .223. Which is good for the reloader. The biggest problem with the Whisper is no real source of factory ammo.

I agree with that, I am thinking this might be a good 150-200 yard hog round for an AR.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    why only a 4 round mag?
    buying an upper for this will save alot of $$ over an AR10 purchase, but wouldn't a 6.5 be just as good?
    tom
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    why only a 4 round mag?
    buying an upper for this will save alot of $$ over an AR10 purchase, but wouldn't a 6.5 be just as good?
    tom
    6.5...good lord your not talking about a alexander arms are you?
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    alexander arms?
    I was talking about the 6.5 grendel round.
    so what's the story about alexander arms?
    tom
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    why only a 4 round mag?
    tom

It is NOT on an AR-10 platform. It is built on the standard AR-15 receivers. That is what all the "hype" is about. It is a .30 cal round in an AR-15 size.

It only has a 4rd mag since that is about all you can get of those fat rounds in a "20 rd" size AR-15 mag. I am guessing it may also have to do with states that have laws on the number of rounds used to hunt with.

Again the Whisper is a .30 cal round in an AR-15 size that has been around for awhile now. Again I can load mags to the normal amount [^]