In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

class III

savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have the urge to get M2 carbine how bad is the hoops to go thru to get one I know about the 200 tax and background check what else is involved and about how long should I expect this to take

Comments

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay, if i understand it correctly, i need to find a class III dealer (done), pick out my gun, pay a tax stamp, and wait for 6 months to get my gun. this sounds a little too easy. what would be my chances of actually being able to purchase a full auto rifle, and what would be a starting price for something like an ar carbine?
    edited November -1
    Looking to get one..........any website or phone number to call on info?

Thanks
    edited November -1
    What requirements does it take to get a class 3? In GA specifically. Just curious. Do I have to be LE? Military? am FFL Dealer?

What if I am an antique collector?
    edited November -1
    I'm interested in obtaing a class III license. Can anyone direct me to a web.site which may be helpful? Everyone I ask tells me to go the ATF and get the forms. There has to be some do's and don'ts of filling out what I'm sure is going to be a moutain of paper w/ a proctologist on stand by. Help!

Edited by - seawish on 11/19/2002 21:27:49
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check the sticky on experts forum
  • sigarmsp226sigarmsp226 Member Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can stand the wait it will be a GREAT investment. Class 3 weapons continue to go up up up in value..... I have had 3, sold two several years back and regret it....Had I kept the two I sold their value now as compared to when I sold them is now almos 3 times hat they were worth 5-7 yrs ago...
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thermonuclear
    It will take less than than 3 months. I got my silencer in about 2 1/2 months, but I think my dealer sat on my info awhile before mailing it off. The good thing about machine guns, they usually know the serial# in advance. Unlike supressors, which the dealer has to make payment on said device, then get a serial # from them to fill out your paperwork. Then you have to get a sheriff to sigh it, or if you happen to have an jerk sherrif, then go to your prosecuting D/A he can sign for you as well as any elected judge.

Just don't let the sherrif get you down. Something else you might consider, is doing a trust. It will cost a $1000 but the cool thing with the trust is no photos, no prints and your approval time in less than 2 weeks and as an added bonus, ANYONE who is on the trust can use the weapons. So you can let your son take the gun and you not have to tag along.

Don't let a little paperword and time keep you from your play toys. It's worth it. Get it while you can.

Where did you come up with the $1000 for a Trust? I did mine with a program by Quicken called Willmaker.

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    The hoops are easy it is the wait and the price that are the killer.

You fill out a Form 4 which is no harder then filling out a 4473 and send a $200 check with it. You will either need a trust/LLC or 2 fingerprint cards, 2 passport photos, and an CLEO signature.

I am not sure what the current going rate on the M2 Carbine but I am guessing it is close to $10,000 if not more.

The wait well right now it is getting longer again. Last Form 4 I did took 5 weeks, I am at 6 right now and still not pending. I have been hearing 3 months lately.

Depending on where you get your gun will also depend on how long you have to wait. If it is in stock at a in state dealer or private party it will go faster as you only have to go from their Form 3 (dealer) or Form 4 (private) to your Form 4. If it is out of state it has to go from the Form 3/4 to an in state dealers Form 3. Once that is approved then you fill out your Form 4 and submit it.

I would say currently 3-6 months is not out of line.

As another pointed out I did a basic NFA FAQ in the ATE Forums and it might be worth a look.