In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR ear protection

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
edited November 2011 in General Discussion
I'd like to protect what's left of my hearing and need inserts or very thin ear protectors for shooting rifles like the AR and P2000.
I double up with foam inserts and electronic headphones but can't get close enough to some of my rifles and shotguns.
Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went with custom molded earplugs several years ago and couldn't be happier. I would think just about any audiologist could hook you up.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asphalt cowboy
    I went with custom molded earplugs several years ago and couldn't be happier. I would think just about any audiologist could hook you up.
    +1
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about using ear plugs and ear muffs at the same time? Good luck and save them ears.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that's what he's doing now Dave.
    The problem is with muffs causing problems with cheek weld on a rifle or shotgun stock. I had the same problem, and never found a suitable answere, 'til I got custom molded earplugs.
    Now, even my 264 Win Mag is pleasant to shoot.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stumbled across a booth at a local gun show where the guy made the molded plugs for me on the spot. Took about 20 minutes. I think it was ~ $60.

Next time I will get a set with molded-in ear buds, so that I can listen to my Walkman when I am cutting grass.

Neal
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use these and they work great. I can still get a good cheek weld on my AR with no problem. If they're still too loud for you, wear foamies under them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/774928/caldwell-e-max-low-profile-electronic-earmuffs-nrr-23db-green
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I work at the academy I have to wear hearing protection all day. I use the foam ear plugs under my Peltor Tac 7 electronic ears. The combo allows me to hear speech ok and it stops the gunfire just fine. My Peltors work fine when shooting shotguns and rifles.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a set of molded ear plugs made but they loosen up.
    Other muffs and plugs seem to be about equal in reducing blast.
    Doubling up seems to work best but just for pistols.
    I've a kit somewhere to mold your own and will try to make up another
    set.
    The canopy over our range is a lateral inverted V that amplifies shots like a megaphone.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I make my guns wear the protection [:p]

DSC_0044.jpg
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    I make my guns wear the protection [:p]

DSC_0044.jpg

what about the guys shooting next to you? we can't all shoot alone all the time.[:p] Nice setup though!
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer

what about the guys shooting next to you? we can't all shoot alone all the time.[:p] Nice setup though!

I guess I forgot about that part. I am lucky to have 99% of my "range" time where I dont have those kind of issues. That pic is from a private range. Yes I know how lucky I am.

Thanks