In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Oh for the lub of gawd guess who's making a 1911?

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in General Discussion

Comments

• sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the price was right I would try one,I have five taurus revolvers including the model 605 357mag I use as my carry gun,I have no complaint with any of them,I wonder who is making their frames?

[image]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/869284/nogunnextdoor.gif[/image]
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I'm purposely going to NOT buy a 1911 because everyone is so darn obsessed with em..

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Why shouldn't they? Everyone, EVERYONE else has. I, too, have good experience with Taurus. [:0]
  • eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    I think I'm purposely going to NOT buy a 1911 because everyone is so darn obsessed with em..

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder

That's what I always said, but then I found out about a guy out here who makes custom 1911's for $300.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taurus has one of two foundries in Brazil. It makes good steel, but is secondary in reputation to Imbel, one of the best in the world, which makes many of the lower frames for Springfield Armory.

F.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will ether be a fantastic 1911 ,and will take over the low end market ,or it will suck badly ,and sit next to charles daily

everybody is making them ,but not all of them are good ,some don't deserve to bare the name ,you would think with all the competition some of the lower end would put out a bit better product

- .... . / --- -. .-.. -.-- / - .-. ..- . / .-- .. ... -.. --- -- / .. ... / .. -. / -.- -. --- .-- .. -. --. / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -. --- - .... .. -. --.

... --- -.-. .-. .- - . ...
  • yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many companies are making them now?.....S&W, Taurus, Sig, Colt, Springfield, Para, Rock River, STI, Caspian, Essex...

JMB is either really proud, or sick, I am not sure which...

-.-.-.we are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.-.-.-
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Browning is probably turning over in his grave..
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only good thing is that it's guarenteed for LIFE no matter who owns it.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CHGOTHNDER--Ever see the movie "Black Sheep"?

I've heard a LOT of complaints about Tarus' polymer compact semi-autos. I've never heard a complaint about their 92FS clones and only a handful of complaints about their revolvers (all associated with the Raging Bull's inability to stand up to some of the hotter cartriges).

I'd like to see the price tag on this. There's no way it could be much more than $500. I can't see someone buying a Taurus 1911 when there's something like a Colt in the same range. I'd buy a stock 1991A1 before a Taurus.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is as good as the PT92AFS 17 + 1 Round 9MM it could be interesting?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Texas_ShooterTexas_Shooter Member Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Taurus and have been happy with the firearms. I would probably buy one of them although I doubt it could replace my kimber

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." - John Wayne
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So when is Ruger coming out with a 1911?

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's as good as all the others I've had experience with, I'd consider it. But you know me and Colts.[:D]

Mudge the Colt fan

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i fail to see the problem with taurus making a 1911. i've owned some taurus guns in the past, and they were pretty good to me. the 92 i had couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but it was reliable.

cody
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly, under $500.00 wouldn't be bad but I'm with you. You can buy a new 1991A1 or a used series 80 for the same money. I like some of the revolvers and the thing I really like about the company is their warranty. I do not own any but have shot em.

PJ

quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    CHGOTHNDER--Ever see the movie "Black Sheep"?

I've heard a LOT of complaints about Tarus' polymer compact semi-autos. I've never heard a complaint about their 92FS clones and only a handful of complaints about their revolvers (all associated with the Raging Bull's inability to stand up to some of the hotter cartriges).

I'd like to see the price tag on this. There's no way it could be much more than $500. I can't see someone buying a Taurus 1911 when there's something like a Colt in the same range. I'd buy a stock 1991A1 before a Taurus.

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a complaint about their 92FS clones. The adjustable sights keep breaking off at the adjustment screw. They would fix it but after sending it in for the 3rd time with no permanent solution in sight I upgraded to a Baretta. [xx(]

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Taurus makes good products, and I am sure their 1911 clone will be fine. But I will hold judgement until I read some range reports.
    quote: I think I'm purposely going to NOT buy a 1911 because everyone is so darn obsessed with em..You don't know what you are missing rugerman.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Mr. Browning is probably turning over in his grave..

Yup. Great gun designer, but a bad businessman.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wondered how long it would be. Now I have my answer.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg

I don't know but I'm sure it will be as heavy as my first car......

OldGuns55@yahoo.com
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taurus did a decent job cloning the Berretta 92, even though I thought it looked a little clunky. Taurus makes half decent revolvers, and revolvers are much more complex and harder to build than autos. The 1911 is an old design, and pretty simple. I think it is well within Taurus' capabilities. Brazil has a strong tradition of firearms manufacturing and its government supports the effort. Brazil is a huge country and has access to resources that rival the US in many ways. In a few years it will be obvious that Brazil is one of the leading firearms makers in the world.
  • rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

Ruger doesn't make any gun that they didn't design in-house. I don't think thats going to change.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg