In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Organics

IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
What is your take on buying organic food? My wife is a organic shopper and I support her. I want the best for my 2 young kids. I buy a 1/2 a local beef each year from a rancher that I know and trust. I try to fill my freezer with game that I have hunted and fish that I catch. Lately I have been reading on the package where this organic food is coming from and I don't think that Turkey, Mexico, or other Third world countries are being policed as to how organic it really is.

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just something to watch. How fast it spoils, much faster.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Some fruits and veggies that get sprayed a lot, yes I get organic. Meats, no.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't trust food exported from a third world country.
  • NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    my son in law is a farmer and said organic is all hype .
    you have to spray the land to to get rid of everything on it for 2-3 years then they let you plant ,so how good is that for you
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They should label the organic vegetables gluten free and free range and they would be even better for you
  • skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    you have to spray the land to to get rid of everything on it for 2-3 years then they let you plant ,so how good is that for you

I think your son in law needs to review the criteria a little better.

For crop farms
    3 years (36 months prior to harvest) with no application of prohibited materials (no synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, or GMOs) prior to certification;
    distinct, defined boundaries for the operation;
    proactive steps to prevent contamination from adjoining land uses;
    implementation of an Organic System Plan, with proactive fertility management systems; conservation measures; and environmentally sound manure, weed, disease, and pest management practices;
    monitoring of the operation's management practices to assure compliance;
    use of natural inputs and/or approved synthetic substances on the National List, provided that proactive management practices are implemented prior to use of approved inputs;
    no use of prohibited substances;
    no use of genetically engineered organisms (GMOs), defined in the rule as "excluded methods";
    no use of sewage sludge or irradiation;
    use of organic seeds, when commercially available (must not use seeds treated with prohibited synthetic materials, such as fungicides);
    use of organic seedlings for annual crops;
    restrictions on the use of raw manure and compost;
    must maintain or improve the physical, chemical, and biological condition of the soil, minimize soil erosion, and implement soil building crop rotations;
    fertility management must not contaminate crops, soil, or water with plant nutrients, pathogens, heavy metals, or prohibited substances;
    maintenance of buffer zones, depending on risk of contamination;
    prevent commingling on split operations (the entire farm does not have to be converted to organic production, provided that sufficient measures are in place to segregate organic from non-organic crops and production inputs);
    no field burning to dispose of crop residues (may only burn to suppress disease or stimulate seed germination - flame weeding is allowed); and
    no residues of prohibited substances exceeding 5% of the EPA tolerance (certifier may require residue analysis if there is reason to believe that a crop has come in contact with prohibited substances or was produced using GMOs).
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy mostly organic, produce and meats, for about the last two years.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife buys alot of organic foods...I give her a hard time about it ...but I will say, organic bananas are worth the extra 30 cents a pound....taste 10x better than non-organic...
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think words like pure, natural or organic have to mean anything, legally when they appear on a label. So I never believe what I read on a label.
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

For crop farms
    3 years (36 months prior to harvest) with no application of prohibited materials (no synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, or GMOs) prior to certification;
    implementation of an Organic System Plan, with proactive fertility management systems; conservation measures; and environmentally sound manure, weed, disease, and pest management practices;
    use of natural inputs and/or approved synthetic substances on the National List, provided that proactive management practices are implemented prior to use of approved inputs;
    no use of genetically engineered organisms (GMOs), defined in the rule as "excluded methods";
    use of organic seeds, when commercially available (must not use seeds treated with prohibited synthetic materials, such as fungicides);
    must maintain or improve the physical, chemical, and biological condition of the soil, minimize soil erosion, and implement soil building crop rotations;
    fertility management must not contaminate crops, soil, or water with plant nutrients, pathogens, heavy metals, or prohibited substances;
    prevent commingling on split operations (the entire farm does not have to be converted to organic production, provided that sufficient measures are in place to segregate organic from non-organic crops and production inputs);
    no field burning to dispose of crop residues (may only burn to suppress disease or stimulate seed germination - flame weeding is allowed); and
    no residues of prohibited substances exceeding 5% of the EPA tolerance (certifier may require residue analysis if there is reason to believe that a crop has come in contact with prohibited substances or was produced using GMOs).

So what happens when one of the field hands takes a piss or a dump in the field?

Or the tractor harvesting the field leaks oil or fuel on the field?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997

For crop farms

So what happens when one of the field hands takes a piss or a dump in the field?

Well in that case we would have to immediately spray the whole field down with pesticides and herbicides to ensure the food was safe to consume.
  • cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997

For crop farms

If you ever see a harvest there are porta potties on the wagon train. What I didn't see was a sink to wash after using the facilities.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my garden is completely organic, my tomatoes blow away anything I have ever tried, my FIL grows the same tomatoes but uses miracle grow and they don't even come close, so I do not believe it is hype

but however I do not trust the marketing in grocery stores claims of organic products, im not paying 6 dollars a dozen for free range eggs with 1/3 the cost of some eggs that may have been feed some laying mash
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bananas produce ethylene gas, it is all natural and promotes ripening on any fruit or vegetable, once they hit ripening the gas increases

if you want to hasten ripening of any fruits or vegetables put them in a paper bag with a ripe banana

trust me, ive done it with hundreds of pounds of peppers at the end of the season before first frost, picking them green and ripening them in large boxes loaded with bananas so I don't waste them and turn them into dried peppers and powder , its called respiratory behavior {apples work too, but to fast, hence the old saying one rotten apple spoils the bunch}
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I for one have never seen an inorganic banana.
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    I for one have never seen an inorganic banana.
    Your not visiting the right websites then