In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Had a good day crabbin

shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
edited October 2005 in General Discussion
Me and my bud set a new record for us.

14 dozen blue claws.

Pic of them in a 120qt. cooler.

crabs14dz.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I wouldn't give to be a part of that cookout! Fresh Blue Crabs...

Unfortunately, they're pretty scarce out here in the desert. Please be sure to pass on the pictures of the picnic and cookout so that we call enjoy the festivities with you.

Congratulation!

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    sweet! I love blue crabs. I live in a town whos primary industry is shrimping and crabbing and I love every second of it!

I really hope you enjoyed your feast!

Do you back them or cook them whole? I have been backing mine for the last 10-15 years and they are cleaner to eat that way and the meat is sweeter. Painful fingers the next few days tho.

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does that mean that you are bringing down crab cakes sunday ?
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    what time and what beer should I bring?

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Exactly what is a blue crab? Where are they found? Are they saltwater crabs?

We have Dungeness crab around here.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's one I caught awhile back. 8" point-to-point.

100_0750.jpg
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Brings back memories. I went crabbing in Texas. We tied chicken legs on to string and pulled them up all day long.

Larry

gunanimation.gif
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Lowrider, here ya go!

www.blue-crab.org

Range
    The range of the blue crab is from Nova Scotia, down the east coast of North America (including the Chesapeake Bay), off Bermuda, throughout the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea (including the Antilles Islands), and down the east coast of South America to northern Argentina. Although the blue crab is rarely found north of Cape Cod, it has been seen in Maine and Nova Scotia following consecutive warm years.

The blue crab has been introduced, probably via ship ballasts into Europe, north Africa, and southwest Asia. Introductions into the Mediterranean Sea and adjacent waters have produced breeding populations whereas others were probably temporary occurrences. The blue crab also has been introduced into Japan.

Range (for Chesapeake Bay)
    Blue crabs are found from the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay to tidal fresh areas. There are distinct differences in the ranges of males and females. During the summer months, males are found from freshwater to the polyhaline zone (waters with salinities of 18-30 ppt), although they occur in the greatest numbers in salinities of 3-15 ppt. Maximum numbers of females occur down Bay at salinities of 10 ppt to ocean salinities.

texasC.gifthumb_Texas-AM.jpg

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    gagirl, no I don't back em, I fill the cooler with fresh water, let them cleanse a little, drain it, do it again. I feel if you back em, then you let the water wash out some of the real good flavor and you get more of the seasoned flavor. I know some that dip them in boiling water to calm them down, then back them, but I don't.

Then cook em whole with a little vinegar, mustard, celery seed and Lawson's seasoned salt.

Then clean em and eat em with chips and beer.

Joe, you want some Sunday????? How about Joey?

I'm givin a pistol course tomorrow, so I don't know if I have time for crab cakes.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't had a good crab salad or crab cakes in a few years.
    I'm salivating over that picture.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You boys shoulda worked with me when I fished 1000 commercial pots per day[:0][B)] That was a day's work[8] That's some great work,..throw in some old bay seasoning and some cold beers and that is some fine eatin, for 2 meals[:p][:D][8D]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too bad they aren't "soft" I can just taste them critters lightly floured and then fried (a lot easier than shelling for hours for a shotglass of meat). But then again a cooler full of beer, a table of crab boil and fixings (maybe friends if you aren't too selfish).