In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

who makes fermented pickles?

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
edited July 2014 in General Discussion
1. since I had to soak them in water in the fridge, because I needed enough to make a batch and had to pick some each day, will they still ferment after being in water for 4-5 days???

2. Have you used "pickle crisp" with good results??

3. recipes vary, so how much salt per qt/gal/etc do you prefer?? I like them sour

4. Once they have fermented to taste, how long will they last in the fridge??

5. OR, once they have fermented, would it work for me to heat the brine and then can them or would that be a no-no since they don't use vinegar and thus, acid.

Comments

• Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are interested i can talk to my wife when she gets home and give you some ideas. She has put up 3 jars already.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have made the in a crock, much prefer the traditional canning method. Alum is used so the pickle keeps it's crispness. I would think the fridge type pickles would last a very long time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have calcium chloride for the firmness. It works with my hot bath pickles, but I would like to try the fermented type since they are so highly regarded. Lets face it, if I mess this first batch up, I will have a lot more chances.
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    If your interested in fresh pack pickles I can help,if your interested in the cooked mcdonalds pickles I can't...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by xxx97
    If your interested in fresh pack pickles I can help,if your interested in the cooked mcdonalds pickles I can't...

The types I know of are;
    lactic fermentation pickles
    fridge/quick pack pickles
    processed pickles

I am looking for information on those that DON'T use vinegar,..only a salt and water brine. They are placed in the brine, and are set at room temperature for anywhere from 3 days to more than a week. As they ferment, the flavor is tested, and once the desired flavor is reached, they are placed in the fridge to stop the fermentation process.

This is how the deli pickles we used to eat as kids, were made. I am accomplished at many different ways of hot packing/fresh packing/processing pickles,...but this year would like to try and get that "old school" deli pickle flavor from days gone bye.

I know I am asking about the least used method,..since it seems to be intimidating to folks (due to the fermentation and surface scum that needs to be scooped off) but if anyone here is a pickle lover, I am sure they know what a claussen pickle tastes like.[:p]
  • Options
    xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    Sorry mine are all 200 grain vinegar...would have to recalculate using 10 grain...
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you wanna make 'krout.