In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just got fired.

BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
This Febuary would have been 30 years here.

Things have been rough business-wise the last couple of years and seems no matter what I/WE tried,nothing seemed to work for the better.They felt that the only chance they have to turn it around is a management change.

Been cleanin' out my office all mornin'.Geeeeeesh,it's amazing how much crap a person can accumilate over that many years.

Fortunately,it's not like I've only got till 5:00 to vacate.At least they trust me enough to come in this weekend and finish gettin' stuff out and not burn it down on my way out.

They're gonna pay me for all my vacation I haven't used(120 hours.I haven't used a minute of it yet this year) and two more weeks,so I'll be alright for a month or so.Also will be drawing out all my retirement,but that may take a while.

I'll be 51 in November.Never been un-employed in my life.Feels kinda funny and scary at the same time.

Think I'll take a few days off,clear my mind and then start lookin'.

Mohawk 600,We've discussed the possibily of sellin' your tailgate to the shop.We'll see what happens next week.I'd rather do that than to have to haul it home and this way I'm sure I can get you more for it.

Well,gotta go now.I'm loosing my access to a computer here,but there's a couple more that I get on occationally,so I'll be around,just not as much.

Later,

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    bababooey Bobby. Well, don't be scared. Everything will work out. You've got a good attitude, and if you know your stuff, like it appears you do, you'll be gainfully employed in no time.

Good Luck!

Ben

00tinybuck.gif
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    30 years!

That really blows BOBBY! I hate hearing such news. Never unemployed in your life. Wow! Must feel weird.

Hang in there, things usually have a way of working out for the best.

If there is anything I can do...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear it Bobby. Good luck, and if you need anything at all, let me know.
  • Options
    sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where did ya work? What kind of business?

sig.jpg
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    yes Bobby...You can get through this dude...

Let us know!

Thomas

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sweaver,

Collision Repair

Taylor,Texas

30 miles NE of Austin.

Thanks guys,
    BW

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobby,
    You know you can get a job *anywhere* in that business. Don't fret. You will have a job within a week, easily. May not be at the same pay, but at least you won't be starving. Good luck.

Merc

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Damn, that was most unexpected. Hope you find another job quickly. I don't know about Texas but I know here in AZ collision repair is a big market, especially with all the drunks and/or illegals cruising the streets

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
    3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gifa5_193.gif3dflagsdotcom_israe_2fawm.gif
    Keeping the "Hairy League" in check since 1948
  • Options
    carson0384carson0384 Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Luck Bobby! Hope everything works out for the better!!!

"Guns don't kill people, husbands who come home early do." -Larry the Cable Guy

"If I can't trust my self carrying my gun, I shouldn't be carrying it."
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Wait a minute, your name is BOBBYWINS!

I've pointed that out more than once, I believe. Now YOU have to believe. BOBBYWINS, BOBBYWINS--not bobbyloses! You must have faith that this is just a pothole in the freeway of life. You'll be bouncing back soon enough.

Don't let the "bastages" get you down. I was in the same boat a few years back and GOD has seen me through it all. I KNOW He'll do the same for you, but maybe BETTER--'cuz BOBBYWINS!!!

Don't forget it, Dude!!

thumbsup.gif
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Good luck Bobby. Hang in there.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    A MAN SHOULD CHANGE VOCATIONS EVERY COUPLE OF DECADES JUST TO KEEP A FRESH PRESPECTIVE (YOU'RE TEN YEARS OVERDUE!). GO FOR IT.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune...hope things turn around for you quickly!

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good luck man. Hope the job market is kind to you.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skilled trade. Their loss. Take a week off clear your head and open up your own shop.
  • Options
    ComengetitComengetit Member Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slect-Fire had the best idea. I worked for someone else for 20 years before starting my own company. I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck in whatever you may pursue but self-employment sure has it's advantages and they far outweigh the disadvantages.

Consistency is the final refuge of the unimaginative
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear it Bobby, I will keep a good thought for a new job soon that pays even better. Pray the place does not accidently burn down this weekend!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    select,Comengetit,

The thought is rattlin' around up there.

Just don't know if I want to do it anymore.

BW

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear the news. That just plain SUCKS.

You may want to think twice about drawing all of your retirement out now. With 30 years in, you should be vested. If it is a "secure" account, you might want to leave it.

You know how fast time flies, and if you draw it out now, you may not get a chance to build it back up before you retire. Having multiple retirement accounts, when the time comes, sure could make things easier, couldn`t it?

I advocate starting your own business also (I did, and would not have it any other way either) but be aware that most folks fail a number of times, before they finally succeed with one.

If your thinking along those lines, be HONEST with yourself. Are you the type of person that can run his own? Some people are NOT the type, and should definitely NOT try to run one. You don't want to find out the hard way, when all your money is gone.

Good luck either way.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Things will pick up and most likely for the better.

Paraphrasing Mark Twain: It's not what you know that makes you look stupid, it's what you know that just ain't so.

Volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Luck,you'll be working soon. [^] [:)]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Take some time to get your head together and
    it won't look as bad in a few days. Everything that
    doesn't kill you is a test.
  • Options
    Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Sorry about your job. But better things are just around the corner.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee and get paid to do it now.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am reminded of two of my favorite quotes.

"Dont' Panic!" - Douglas Adams
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional." -Hunter Thompson (Somebody uses this one a lot on gunbroker's forum. I like it.)

Best wishes with your new begining! I've gone down that road once, and can imagine your emotions.

BTW, thanks for your help and advice with the Remington 241. That is an awesome little .22. There's nothing like it out there today. Well, except the Browning .22 semiauto (and that Chinesse clone), but the 241 has a much better size and weight. Reading that you own four 241's has got me thinking about looking for another. There's probably room for one more when it shoots that good. Heck, maybe there's room for three more. It would be a good starter for three young lefty sons. Thanks again, I never would have learned so much about it and appreciate John Browning engineering without your help!
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Take a couple weeks and go fishing somewhere nice and far from home. After three days you will have stopped worrying. By the end of the first week you will have figured out what to do and still have a week of fishing to enjoy. A good fishing trip cures everything.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy Just checking in
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Do NOT draw your retirement out...period...end of story. Roll it over into something else. You CAN take a loan on it, if necessary. That is the last straw though. If you draw the retirement, then you will pay...HEAVILY in taxes.

#1 - do this NOW. Copy or write down EVERY contact you have had in the business - customers that you are friendly with ie..other business owners. Might be surprised at what you find. This is the FIRST step in the buzz word "networking".

#2 - call up competitors in the business.

#3 - sign up for unemployment benifits. Even if you "think" you won't need the money, do it anyways. Some states have a cap of $240/week...some are much higher. This is the instance that unemployment insurance is used.

#4 - take a couple days off. Not two weeks...maybe a week. Get out of town...and get right with the man...know what I mean!!!?!?!?!?! (not talking religion..just get your head back on straight - I have read your posts....you know what kind of person you are...now get right with yourself, get back on the saddle...and show the horse which way YOU want to go!!!)

#5 - Don't be afraid to look outside your industry. There are LOTS of business' that NEED your skills (yes...the ones you learned in 30 years of business - they cannot teach, borrow, beg, or steal that from anywhere else...ya gotta learn it...YOU have!!)

#6 - EVERY penny counts now....live like it does.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    Do NOT draw your retirement out...period...end of story. Roll it over into something else. If you draw the retirement, then you will pay...HEAVILY in taxes.

What he said. Check the tax penalties & then forget it.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    On the bright side, some *-hole like Hairy didn't try to blame you for getting fired[;)]

That aside, go into business for yourself if possible, with 30 years experience under your belt you could probably do well[8D]

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
    3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gifa5_193.gif3dflagsdotcom_israe_2fawm.gif
    Keeping the "Hairy League" in check since 1948
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Most people who lose their job for whatever
    reason seem to find a more profitable job.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heres your chance to do somthing you always wanted,there has to be somthing you enjoy and can get paid to do!! Also watch the taxes on taking from retirement early (OUCH!!) Lots of Luck!
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really sorry to hear this, Bobby! *DO,* as the man suggested, make a list of *everyone* you can think of with whom you've worked, whether customer, associate, competitor, supplier. Contacts / networking bring jobs. Without them, it can be incredibly frustrating finding a new job. Also do as BDJ / others have suggested and get some quiet relaxation / reflection time away from home & those associated distractions. You have a good head on your shoulders and thirty years experience in a field which has a built-in customer base as long as we have private vehicles on the road. You will come out well - and quite likely better than you were.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcloco has summed it up in a really neat package- Man- you should charge for that- seriously! That is really good advice. FWIW- I am 55, and changed jobs last month after 20 years with one company. Yeah, its scary. No, it ain't fatal. Found that there is a significant demand for us old farts- since we are the ones that show the youngsters how to do it- whatever 'it" happens to be. Good luck, bro[8D]

Friends help you move. REAL friends help you move BODIES!
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Get ahold of a good insurance co. or maybe even 2 or 3. Life goes on and so should you.
    GOOD LUCK Bobbywins.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope things work out the best for you,and you find a better job.Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Regards!!

Formerly Rugster!

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    30 years in a highly skilled job? You probably won't have time to catch your breath before someone snatches you up. AND you've gotten some great tips here in this thread. Just wanted to put in a word of encouragement, dude. You'll be ok.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    When one door closes another opens.

If you have been employed for 30 years someone will definately want you pal. The key word is "never been unemployed". That is a record most of us can not claim.

Good luck.

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Bobby, think about a Maaco franchise. For awhile they were thought of as the dirt bags of the trade but when they got their GSA contract to provide autobody repair to the Federal Govt....boy they really turned around money wise. Atleast the one I saw in CA. They have info on their website and since their material is so low and you have close access to illegal immigrants...go into business man!![:D]

www.needtechs.com

They need a Senior Vehicle Tech at FEDEX in dallas/ft. worth

Check into being a Vo-Tech teacher. Most states only require you to have X years in the field.

Another good one is apply your knowledge into being a used car dealer. Check into state requirements, PA you had to have a lot with an office, have open hours posted. Get your license and hit the auto auctions buying low mileage wrecks. Fix them at home in your spare time and drop them off at the lot or take them straight back to auction for a quick buck. You'll make quicker money running them back to auction undamaged than lot sales. There are numerous companies that sell turn key paperwork packages to start such a business and have all State required paperwork for sales. Start up costs would be low compared to any other business since you already got all the tools of the trade minus one flatbed wrecker. Look at all those NO flooded vehicles that will be on auction soon for a $1...clean em up and run them to auctions in different states.

Good luck bro. I decided to just let my wife work. I'm doing babysitting duty until Junior starts school...then I'm using the above method. I do it as I have time now fixing wrecks and junkers and selling them along the road for $1-2k a pop profit.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW Bobby!!!!! I'm really sorry to see this. I just got on line first time this weekend. If I can do anything to help you out let me know.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a year, you'll look back and wonder why they did you the favor, honest.

The hat you sent me is still my favorite.

Best, BW.

Clouder..
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bobby,

I'm about to feel your pain...except I haven't been here 30 years. Keep your head up take some time for yourself and find what you want to do....not what somebody else thinks you should or could do. It's a great time to get things going for yourself. -good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>