In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rabbits in the garden

A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Wife put in a garden, well I did but she does the planting and tending.

Rabbits like what she planted and ate her lettuce to the ground, twice. Wife wants all rabbits within hopping distance of her garden dead.

17 HMR works very well unless trying to shoot through a chain link fence. Find another spot to shoot from.

40 S&W works too, makes a bad mess out of the rabbits. Found I can hit them 2 out of 3 tries if they sit still, they usually do, and if I keep my shots to under 70 yards or so.

Got 3 yesterday and today 2 rabbits and 2 squirrels. Hope I don't run out any time soon.

Comments

• joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,228 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like the gardens putting more food on the table then just veggies.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    Man, I know they are not in season and I know since they are eating your crop you are going to shoot or trap them. 2 words and i am serious....

RABBIT STEW !!!!!!!!
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Yea, I need to use them more when I have to harvest them. sometimes its in the morning and I dont have time to mess with them till later.. I guess the buzzards need to eat too.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Yea, I need to use them more when I have to harvest them. sometimes its in the morning and I dont have time to mess with them till later.. I guess the buzzards need to eat too.

They can have the possums and groundpigs, we are talking about some rare-bit stew, brother.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Only takes a few seconds to gut'em and wrap'em up in some newspaper and put'em in the fridge!!
    Too good of eatin to let'em go to waste![:p]
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Isn't there something about only eating rabbits in months that have the letter "R"?
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I usally thin the one out around here when i get the garden put in. I have never eaten rabbit. I seen a guy skin and dress one once and it looks like a skinned cat. I will usally bag them up and throw them in the slew over where i hunt coyotes all the time. Them pupps need to eat to. They dont pay as much for the smaller ones come prime hunting.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    Isn't there something about only eating rabbits in months that have the letter "R"?

Rabbits taste the same any time of the year.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cotton tails are a little thin right now, so we have taken to eating the jacks. Still good though.

AT
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poor little bunny wabbits. EMMMMM EMMMM EMMM, My favorite small game.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A J Christ seems to me your wife baits by keeping a garden and you put the meat on the table. Nice team work after all you have to fatten up them critters (and between you and me that stuff is rabbit food[:D]).

quote:Originally posted by callcameron

Ain't that for Oysters?