In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Getting pine sap off a car

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have a 90 corvette that was just painted in March. Charcoal gray metallic with blue, red and purple pearl mixed in the clear coat. I took the car to get the seats recovered and the carpet replaced. I paid 2800 to get the car painted. 5 coats of clear was kind of expensive. The car looks excellent. They told me the car would be ready 2 weeks ago. I stoped by today and the car was sitting under a the only pine tree in the yard. It has about 15 big round pine tree sap spots on it. What can get them off. I was so mad they had to call the cops. the cops were cool they told me to try and get the spots off and if i cant they will help me take him to court. They just told me not to go back up there without them. How can anybody be that stupid. I was thinking about bug and tar remover. What do you think?

Comments

• garanchgaranch Member Posts: 3,681
    edited November -1
    At this point I do not see what trying the "bug & tar remover" would hurt.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rubbing alcohol will instantly dissolve it with no damage or markings. Just put some on a soft cloth and gently rub.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    I have a 90 corvette that was just painted in March. Charcoal gray metallic with blue, red and purple pearl mixed in the clear coat. I took the car to get the seats recovered and the carpet replaced. I paid 2800 to get the car painted. 5 coats of clear was kind of expensive. The car looks excellent. They told me the car would be ready 2 weeks ago. I stoped by today and the car was sitting under a the only pine tree in the yard. It has about 15 big round pine tree sap spots on it. What can get them off. I was so mad they had to call the cops. the cops were cool they told me to try and get the spots off and if i cant they will help me take him to court. They just told me not to go back up there without them. How can anybody be that stupid. I was thinking about bug and tar remover. What do you think?

they have this stuff called goof off that removes grafitti and all sorts of crap. make sure you are well ventilated or you will get high as a kite. use sparingly and make sure to wax after the gunk gets off.??

flits metal polish works great but is a bit expensive for a large job.

just tell the body shop that the damn tree took a poop on your car. hopefully you addressed this when you picked it up. any normal shop would detail that crap off for you.

dont waste the cops time
  • thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just spoke with one of the chemists (I work at Turtle Wax). He recommended using Bug and Tar Remover (a turtle wax product of course). If it still won't come off he suggested using our polishing compound. If you don't mind waiting on it, I can get you some free.

Ps. If you use the bug and tar remember to wax that area again.
  • mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some of that hand sanitizer stuff, it works on getting pine tar, sap, off you hands. It's the only thing that will get that off that easy, other than gas. But you don't wanna go puttin' gas on a paint job. Try the hand sanitizer, it ain't nothin but alcohol, but try it in a spot say inside to door jam first to make sure it doesn't hurt the paint job.

P.S. Cancel the check you gave them if you were lucky enough to write one.

Mike
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No he called the cops on me. I was useing a little bit of profanity and i said some things that was wrong. He felt threatend. One of was close to getting hurt. So he got scared and called them. The workers say he is an dude and they loved it.
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    guys are dude's, gals are dame's, did you mean dud?
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got any of those alcohol wipes diabetics use to clean skin before they use the needles? Or alcohol, if NOTHING ELSE.... Gasoline may work, I wouldnt do it on a new painted car though, we have pine trees all over and we use it, but it removes wax and all.. Same with goof off
  • The Ultimate InfidelThe Ultimate Infidel Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dav1965, the minute you lay a hand on the car to try to remove the tar, it becomes your problem. If you are not absolutely certain you can remedy this yourself, dont try at all. Let a professional do it and keep the liability where it belongs.
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A tiny spray of WD-40 on a soft cloth will remove it with no damage to your clear coat. It is also the best thing for romoving tar.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks i will take it to where they painted it and give the upholstery people the bill
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Neanderthal Posted - 05/20/2009 : 5:17:29 PM
    A tiny spray of WD-40 on a soft cloth will remove it with no damage to your clear coat. It is also the best thing for romoving tar

Dureing my college yrs I worked part time for a Funeral Home and thats what we used to get tar etc off of the Hearse's and cadillac's.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had some pine tar on a vette a few years ago and bug and tar remover took it right off.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree take it in then give them the Bill.
  • deputydondeputydon Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Equate organic fingernail polish remover works great. You can get it at WallyWorld. Little bit on a q-tip and rub gently.

-don
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,863 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    As already mentioned several times......WD-40[^][^]
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In this case I'd suggest to remove it with a civil suit in small claims court. Repairing something they did is not your problem.

The bottom line is that you paid for a competent job and - one way or another - they didn't hold up their end.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5 coats of clear has you covered. Just wipe it off. Usually you want the clear and paint to cure real good before waxing. BTW..2800 for a paint job like that is cheap.
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    As already mentioned several times......WD-40[^][^]

Works a lot better than Goo-Gone, and won't harm the finish at all.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mineral spirits on a cloth will wipe it right off and not hurt the finish. That is what a pard uses who owns a detailing business. I have other tricks of the trade too[;)]
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a side grinder?
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remeber Ice Cube to harden the pitch then use something like a credit card to pop it off.