In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

10/22 question

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Any of y'all with custom 10/22s do away with the v block and thread the barrel into the receiver?

Comments

• calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    No Not world Class.

But a question for those who have built up one themselves.

How much did it cost and what Parts did you use. Do not forget to add in the cost of the 10/22 you used.

Got a receiver and am looking to put it together.

I don't need one that makes group holes smaller than .22.[8D]
    edited November -1
    I don't need to hear from all the anti ruger people, all I want to do is put together a plinker as a gift for a kid. with that being said Using a 10/22 I bought rediculously cheap (under $80 with a nikon 3x9x40) I purchased a Adams & Bennet .920 blue fluted barrel a Fajen thumbhole (midnight) stock and a hornet custom "B" trigger assm. The question is, do I bed the barrel or leave it alone[?] I also bought a brick of Lapua match ammo to give with this once it's done. Also should I take and break it in before I give it to him[?] Thanks and NO I don't want this in the A.T.E. forum.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
    edited November -1
    anybody take the last bit of forearm off that touches the barrel in the channel? i heard not to. its still got the factory heavy barrel and was just curious. prolly get more answers here than ate forum.thanks.
    edited November -1
    Does anybody have the polyurethane buffer for the 10/22? Does it really make much of a difference?

Also, where is the cheapest place to get it? Midwayusa has it ON SALE for 8.99. Seems a little high for a piece of plastic that they just cut from a long rod.
    edited November -1
    Tonight I was cleaning up my 10/22 and noticed a hole in the back of the receiver, I think there used to be a pin in there. I've never had it very far apart before, but it looks to me that this should be a stop or buffer for the bolt since it has the same indention in the back of it. Does anyone know off the top of their head about this? I have been looking for the manual, but I think it is in our room (which the wife is asleep in) and I leave in the morning with my nephew - heading to SE Kansas for camping, fishing, and shooting. This year I'm going to introduce him to shotguns and skeet shooting.
    Oh, I just thought, I haven't checked Ruger's site yet...

In life, two things are guaranteed: You were born, and you will die.
    What happens in between is up to you.
    edited November -1
    Why do they make muzzle brakes for the Ruger 10/22? Might as well add on a cushioned butt pad for the stock.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    Does anybody have the polyurethane buffer for the 10/22? yes quote: Does it really make much of a difference?
    about 9 dollars difference quote:
    Also, where is the cheapest place to get it? It's 9 dollars. How much do you want to save off that? quote: Midwayusa has it ON SALE for 8.99. yup. quote: Seems a little high for a piece of plastic that they just cut from a long rod.
    $.99 for the plastic. $8 for knowing how to make it.
  • burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what difference are you trying to achieve? ive shot my ak-47 with a buffer and without, and there is no noticable difference. some will tell you it will wear out your gun if you dont run a buffer because of the bolt hammering the receiver. complete crap. my full auto mac-11 has gone without a buffer for many thous of rds. not a problem .i cant even begin to think how many rds you would have to shoot in a gun to wear out the back of the receiver or bolt. its just a gimmick to make money.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are cheaper options. I've got them for around $10 for 2. They seem to quiet the action a little. As for longevity, I've not shot the 10/22 to destruction to see if there is any difference. I have a 10/22 modified to 17M2 and the buffer is definitely an integral part of the conversion as the bolt comes back pretty hard.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I have two factory 10/22's one the new charger ( havnt but many rounds through that yet. The other is a rifle that was my fathers. I gave it to my brother when my dad passes but non the less i have put hundreds of thousands of rounds through this gun. I use to go to my mom and step dads on the weekends and was bord out of my mind so dad would let me take the 10/22 with and would by me a brick of ammo and that is all i would do there during the day. just shoot goophers and sparrows. That gun still runs like the day he got it. Just need to take care of them. ohh ya almost forgot no buffer.
  • e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I have a few 10/22's. My oldest that has had thousands and thousands of rounds though it with no problems. No need to change that.

Now with that said I do have 2 of them with buffers in them. The reason I did this is it reduces the noise made by the action when running with my Suppressor. Yes it does make it quieter. Short of that I see NO real reason to get one other then to waste money.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got me the "Yellow" ones off ebay with a garentee free replacement if they crack. First one cracked going through the barrel break in (I know it's lead so it doesn't matter) about 500. I haven't sent it in since I might as well break all three to save on postage[:D]. I have two others but I think I'll get the "Magnum" ones (it comes with a backing and steel core) and I recon this shouldn't crack[:D].