In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many would you estimate?

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
It is reported that about 40% of adults in America own at least one firearm. I can't argue with that figure. Probably pretty close based on my observations.

But I wonder how many guns the average gun owner owns? There are folks who are really into their hobby and own huge collections. There are a couple guys on this forum who fall into that category. There are also many people who only own one gun.

One of my friends owns one gun, a SIG 40 S&W he uses for personal defense. Not into hunting or shooting he wants one gun.

I met a man when I lived in Utah who had so many guns I can only guess at the number. Maybe a couple thousand. They were stacked in every room of his house and filled the basement.

Between those two extremes lie all the rest of us. Again, based on my personal observations of friends who own guns I would estimate the average number to be around 10. I think the average shooter has 2-3 22 caliber arms (rifle and pistol), a couple of shotguns, one or two center fire rifles, a defensive pistol and a couple of miscellaneous arms.

I think 10 is a good estimate. What say the Forum?
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    edited November -1
    Hard to say. The small country seat (4000 people)
    has a Tractor Supply store. The sell Cannon gun safes. A LOT of Cannon gun safes, according to an employee.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like your number. I fall a bit north of that only because I have 4 sons that I bought deer rifles and shotguns for.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Between myself and son the number was getting up there until the boating accident.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a lot of how numbers of firearms are distributed depends on geography. I figure we out here in the great mid section have to work to keep the numbers up for the unfortunates that live on the coasts.

I'm trying to hold up my end.[:D]
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your on target
    when I was growing up the vast majority of any one I knew owning a gun had one maybe two if lucky a 22 and /or a 12 ga very few handguns , but I think it more of being poor limited that number greatly
    not they did not want more but the family always were 1st priority and the guns were just a hunting tool 90% of the time a few handguns for protection but far in-between to see one .
    when I was in my late teens when I started meeting people who had the means to have more than one any one with more than ten was still rare ( other than the dealers of course )
    now as you say some have so many I doubt if they know the number
    as for me I fall on the low side of ownership , would I like more ? well yes but practicality and funds come in to play very fast [:D][:D]
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess the typical gun owning household does not have very many, maybe 5 or less. But when you compute an average, I bet lots of collectors/enthusiasts are in double digits and serious collectors would bring the average up significantly. I think 10 is probably a pretty good guess.
  • Options
    m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate guns. Would never own one.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I would put the majority at less than 5.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use to own one of those air grease guns to do the vehicles.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    When you ask about the "average" gunowner, are you after the "typical" gun owner?
    And not the average number of guns? But probably the "median" would be closer to the data you're after.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not a mathematician. Just guesstimating how many guns are owned on average by America's gun owners. You start getting complicated with median and other terminology I'm lost very quickly.

Please guys. The "boating accident" comments were funny when they were new but not any longer. If you don't wish to participate in the discussion that's fine.

As I said, in my experience people typically have more than five. Everyone I am close to owns at least 10 guns save the one guy I mentioned who has only one. One man has six. Most seem to have between 20 and 30.
    ....................................................................................................
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early on about 15- 20 years go was my peak, 300 or so. Been selling two and buying one since. I just have a reasonable number now, very reasonable,.. Don't hunt much now and son has what he wants. So still will buy one just cause and will sell two just cause.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 million guns in America, by some estimates, if they are owned by a third of Americans that would be about three guns per owner
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever the number is, its too small.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well if 40% own guns and there are 400 million guns I guess we could do the math. 400 million guns (???) divided by 125 million people(???). So about 3.2 guns per gun owner.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Everybody has their hobbies and likes. I have several friends that have well over a hundred, but I would say most people around here 3-5 range. A couple of pistols .22 and 9mm/.38, a 30-06 hunting rifle, a .22 rifle and a pump 12 gauge shotgun.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Everybody has their hobbies and likes. I have several friends that have well over a hundred, but I would say most people around here 3-5 range. A couple of pistols .22 and 9mm/.38, a 30-06 hunting rifle, a .22 rifle and a pump 12 gauge shotgun.
    dont forget Marlin 30-30 lever action
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two rifles, one shotgun, and I can't count the handguns.
    I haven't been in a boat in 15 years.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have more than a dozen handguns and all most the same number in long guns within reach as I sit here typing this
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    dont forget Marlin 30-30 lever action
    aint that the truth..........[:D]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Ok forget average and mean.

Think of it this way. At one end of the spectrum, we've got the guy with thousands of guns. It in all America, there aren't many of him. Just like, I suspect, there aren't a lot with only one.

If you graphed all the Gun owners in America, I think you'd get a peak somewhere above 10. Closer to 15. And as the baby boomers die off, that number will grow.

But I'm just guessing.
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting chart over time, shows 8.1 as of 2013: https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/10/gun_ownership_rates.png&w=1484

Most aren't real big on sharing this data so I would guess 10-12 is an average.

gun_ownership_rates.png
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 12, 5 are black powder.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't counted mine in a while. I know a couple guys with just one. Then there is my buddy the lifelong bachelor who has 9 big safes full.

I would guess that bigoutside is about right. A Bell Curve with the peak at maybe 10-12.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am trying to keep up with Wundudnee. At last count, he is buying 2 to my 1.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The claim is that there are 265 million guns in the US today.
    And that 3% owns half of that 265 million guns.

With over 325 million Americans and a household size of 3.5...
    Making about 93 million households in the US today.
    With half of the 265 million guns owned by 2.8 million households and 91.2 million owning the other half.

That makes about 47 guns on average in 2.8 million households.

The number stated earlier of 40% of Americans (two of every five) gun owners would also make sense.
    Taking 3% off the 40% leaves 37% owning half of the 265 million or about four guns per household.

I suspect that 37% of all house holds has between 2 to 6 guns and that 3% owns a collection upwards of 50 guns.

I also suspect that two thirds (two of every three) of all households has access to at least one gun.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no way of knowing and it should be that way. Read "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" and have insight on why this is so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have heard the 200M figure for years on the number of guns in America and I always thought that number was low. Now I am seeing 300M and I think it's still low.

I think there are about 90-100M Americans who own at least one gun. So the average is 3 (or less) per owner using that 300M figure. Too low IMO. I believe there are more like 700M guns in private hands. Maybe up to a billion in my 100M owners and 10 guns per owner average is correct.

True that we will never know for certain. All speculation. But I think about the fact that Winchester sold about 20 million M94s, S&W sold about 8M Model 10s, and Lord only knows how many ARs have been sold. There is a large number of specific gun models that are known to be in the millions of units in production. Plus the thousands of guns that didn't sell quite that many but all add up.

I think there's a hell of a lot of guns out there...
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would bet it's in the 8-10 range.
    I read in a magazine once a long time ago, that something like 95% of all gun owners own more than one gun.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We need a bigger graph.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doc
    I have heard the 200M figure for years on the number of guns in America and I always thought that number was low. Now I am seeing 300M and I think it's still low.

I think there are about 90-100M Americans who own at least one gun. So the average is 3 (or less) per owner using that 300M figure. Too low IMO. I believe there are more like 700M guns in private hands. Maybe up to a billion in my 100M owners and 10 guns per owner average is correct.

True that we will never know for certain. All speculation. But I think about the fact that Winchester sold about 20 million M94s, S&W sold about 8M Model 10s, and Lord only knows how many ARs have been sold. There is a large number of specific gun models that are known to be in the millions of units in production. Plus the thousands of guns that didn't sell quite that many but all add up.

I think there's a hell of a lot of guns out there...

Notice I used 400 million in my figure, and, like you, I think there are more than that.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Ten is likely a pretty good estimate. Mostly farming country around here. My Dad used to say that there was a Stevens double barrel shotgun behind every door.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    I would bet it's in the 8-10 range.
    I read in a magazine once a long time ago, that something like 95% of all gun owners own more than one gun.

I was thinking 10, too for regular folks. Now gang members I'm thinking 5 a member. Count one count all.