In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Washington State

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited May 2010 in General Discussion
I would hate to live in this place

18, 19, and 20-Year-Old Washington Residents Can No Longer Purchase Semi-Auto Rifles
by Jordan Michaels on January 3, 2019

The Washington law define?s ?assault rifle? to include even .22-caliber firearms.

The first part of Washington State?s new slate of gun ban policies took effect this week and prohibited anyone under the age of 21 from purchasing any kind of semiautomatic rifle.

The measures passed in November when, spurred by a massive campaign funded by Michael Bloomberg, 59 percent of Washingtonians voted in favor of ballot initiative I-1639. Along with restricting the age to purchase a 10/22, I-1639 also creates a registry of gun owners, establishes a 10-day waiting period for certain purchases, holds gun owners liable for failing to secure firearms, and allows the state to charge a $25 fee on the sale of ?assault rifles.?

?Starting today, young adults between the ages of 18 to 20 will have their rights to purchase semi-automatic rifles stripped away,? Dave Workman, a spokesman for the Bellevue, Washington-based Second Amendment Foundation, told the Associated Press.

In contrast to many other pieces of gun control legislation, Washington?s initiative expands the definition of ?assault rifle? to include ?any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge.?
SEE ALSO: Draconian I-1639 Ballot Measure Passes in Washington

Defining ?assault rifle? in this way will prohibit legal adults from purchasing even .22-caliber rifles commonly used to train youngsters in safety and shooting fundamentals.

The Second Amendment Foundation joined the National Rifle Association in filing a lawsuit against I-1639. Plaintiffs also include firearms dealers in Spokane and Vancouver, a 19-year-old competitive shooter, a 19-year-old in the Army Reserves, and a 20-year-old recreational shooter.

The lawsuit challenges the measure on the grounds that it violates the commerce clause by banning sales of rifles to non-residents, and that it unconstitutionally impairs the rights guaranteed by the First, Second and Fourteenth Amendments, and Article I Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution by preventing the sale of certain rifles to otherwise qualified adults under age 21.

?Eighteen-year-olds are serving right now in Iraq and Afghanistan and Syria in the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces,? said NRA President and U.S. Marine Lt. Col. Oliver North. ?And he comes home and he?s 19 and he can?t buy a firearm? Where?s the common sense in that??

He added that ?classifying all semi-automatic rifles as an assault weapons? is ?setting folks up for false expectations.?

The other components of I-1639, including the safe storage requirement and expanded background checks, are set to take effect on July 1.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just on FOX,, NON UNION Washington state Government workers FORCED to pay union Dues, EXACT WORDS

State employees resist union representation

By Michael Reitz
    Is it right to force an individual to pay money to an employee organization for the "privilege" of working in Washington state? Union officials are asking state workers to do just that.

Hundreds of state employees in at least 12 bargaining units are working to decertify the unions representing them in order to avoid paying mandatory union dues. Representatives from several of these groups staged a rally on the Capitol lawn in Olympia on March 22. These employees are fed up with union representation before it has even started.

The Personnel System Reform Act of 2002 allows public-sector unions to negotiate wage and hour guidelines for employees. The governor's office and representatives of nearly twenty public-sector unions negotiated the first collective bargaining agreements in 2004. Governor Gregoire's newly-released budget funds these agreements. Pending final approval by the Legislature, the contracts will take effect on July 1, 2005.

The contracts include a mechanism known as a "union security clause," which requires all employees of a bargaining unit to pay for union representation, regardless of whether they actually become members. Dues are set at 1.37 percent of an employee's salary, up to about $55 dollars a month. Those who do not wish to join the union will still be required to pay a "fair share" fee equal to the normal dues amount.

Employees who refuse to authorize the dues deduction from their paycheck will face termination, as indicated in the contract negotiated by the union.

The Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) downplays the reality of the mandatory dues scheme. In a flyer passed out to state employees, the WFSE insists that employees who do not pay union dues will be "asked to contribute" the fair share fee. The flyer fails to mention that employees who decline will be terminated at the union's demand.

State workers trying to decertify the union believe individuals should have the choice of whether to join a union and pay dues: they do not want the decision imposed on them.

Other public employees object to the new collective bargaining agreement because they were never given a chance to approve it. The agreement went to a vote by state employees, and of the approximately 30,000 general government employees covered by the WFSE contract, only 6,133 voted.

State employees trying to decertify their union also object to being forced to support the political agendas of union officials. The WFSE admits that 17 percent of its expenditures go toward activities that have nothing to do with collective bargaining. The Federation made more than $280,000 in cash contributions in the 2004 elections, and many state workers do not want to be forced to support a particular political agenda in order to keep their jobs.

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hear you pay for sin now. Starting tommorrow.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been married three times, paying for sin is not new. Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    I have been married three times, paying for sin is not new. Don

They haven't figured out how to tax that yet.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yep, been doin it for years, but it's goin up tomorrow.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Is this some kind of alcohol or tobacco tax?
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Funny part is, the cheap Production Line Beers get the tax, but the Richy-Rich MicroBrews Don't! Tax the Poor, this time!!!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Yep and candy and bottled water.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    Yep and candy and bottled water.

[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    State budget's short ya know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And heaven knows, we can't expect government to spend less, or cut programs, or promote people being responsible for their own lives.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and not all candy gets taxed either--if it is made with flour it is not taxed--like Kit Kat Bars--it's a ridiculous tax that the legislature and Gov. Gregoire bulldozed through.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    And heaven knows, we can't expect government to spend less, or cut programs, or promote people being responsible for their own lives.
    Heavens Captain, what do you expect? Do you expect the fine people of this state to live on their own without gov't "services"?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heavens Captain, what do you expect? Do you expect the fine people of this state to live on their own without gov't "services"?
    That talk verges on treason, HPD.

No citizen should be without the warm safe blanket of government.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That talk verges on treason, HPD.

No citizen should be without the warm safe blanket of government.
    Absoutely Cap'n, we all "deserve" to be warm and fuzzy and safe!
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would've thunk California would've done this. Also I recon the people will be doing border runs to Oregon to smuggle in snacks. That'll teach the government.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With Oregon having Budget problems they better get their stuff quick.
  • Options
    mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    I live in Wa. state and it sucks![V][:(!]
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, tomorrow I start up my new business. Runnin the state line with a truck load of Snickers, Paydays and Water. Wonder how many years I will get if I am caught? Get your orders in now!
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    Well, tomorrow I start up my new business. Runnin the state line with a truck load of Snickers, Paydays and Water. Wonder how many years I will get if I am caught? Get your orders in now!

You're going to need a 18 wheeler rig and a "Screaming Chicken" Trans-Am to do it "Bandit" style. Also if you got aluminum cans you can drive that to Oregon to make some snack money.