In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Merry Christmas US Army workers

ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2007 in General Discussion
The Army announced Nov. 28 that it has taken initial steps to plan for reduced operations at all Army bases while the congressional review continues on funding for operations in Afghanistan, Iraq, and requirements associated with the Global War on Terror.

With no funds provided for GWOT requirements since the beginning of the fiscal year, the Army has had to use Operation and Maintenance Account (OMA) dollars budgeted to organize, train, equip, and field forces, as well to sustain Soldiers and their Families, to fund war related activities.

www.army.mil/-newsreleases/2007/11/28/6321-army-issues-instructions-to-prepare-for-funding-shortfall/

Looks like there are going to be some furloughed Federal Employees and Contractors for the Holidays.

Comments

• Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    "...furloughed Federal Employees and Contractors..."

Darn.

Doug
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lucky for those of us in my directorate, we overhaul Air Force equipment and everything in-house right now is FY07 funded and all funds have already been transferred. We should be alright. Most of the other areas of the depot are still overhauling Army equipment.

This is the same rhetoric we used to hear every November. "Call your creditors, you may not be getting paid for awhile until the budget gets signed."
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seriously, you were very kind to wish the US Army workers Merry Christmas since the only thing I saw associated with the red and green colors and such in an Army and Air Force Exchange last weekend was a "Celebrate Kwanza" message - true story.
    What's next?
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope this does not happen. We have one Federal Employee and two contractors repairing weapons in our shop. Our standard is much higher than the soldier run DS shops.

At least they are talking about the layoffs/furloughs AFTER the holidays. Not that I want to be see anyone lated off...especially me!