In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Army's Hidden Treasure room

Comments

• Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    Thanks, quite surprising.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fantastic! I never heard of this place. I would love to spend a week in there, looking at all the guns, and uniforms, and art, and guns. Damn!
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    amazing , sad its locked away , I sure they rotate some thru the museums . but it would be great to spend some time looking at all of it

we really need to have a auction sale it all off and pay the national debt and give the welfare and illegals more money . before China claims it for payment
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WoW!

I know how to solve he national debt!!

Put that stuff on GB ASAP! Most of the folks who could afford it, would donate it to various museums around the country.
  • Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What i would give to have a day or two to tour that collection
  • Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What i would give to have a day or two to tour that collection
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked for twenty five years in a State Military Museum that is affiliated with the Center of Military History. The CMH supports all U.S. Army Museums across the country as well as National Guard Museums.

I know that about ten or fifteen years ago there was money earmarked to build a National Museum of the U.S. Army. I believe it was going to be built somewhere near Ft. Myers I think. I was told that the Army used that money to improve base housing. It's a matter of priorities I guess. The Army still plans to build their museum.

The CMH has one hell of a collection, not mentioning the Army's collections at places such as West Point.

You should see the Army's weapons storage facilities at Anniston Army Depot in Alabama.[:)]
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty
    I worked for twenty five years in a State Military Museum that is affiliated with the Center of Military History. The CMH supports all U.S. Army Museums across the country as well as National Guard Museums.

I know that about ten or fifteen years ago there was money earmarked to build a National Museum of the U.S. Army. I believe it was going to be built somewhere near Ft. Myers I think. I was told that the Army used that money to improve base housing. It's a matter of priorities I guess. The Army still plans to build their museum.

The CMH has one hell of a collection, not mentioning the Army's collections at places such as West Point.

You should see the Army's weapons storage facilities at Anniston Army Depot in Alabama.[:)]

I have had some of the artifacts from the Fort Drum museum come into my shop.

Room is a problem for them. Displays have to be rotated so all the items get on display. There is probably more in storage than there is on display at any given time.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I slide down the bannister of life I'll always remember Fort Belvoir as a splinter!
    [}:)]barto[}:)]
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    quote:Originally posted by ltcdoty

I have had some of the artifacts from the Fort Drum museum come into my shop.

Room is a problem for them. Displays have to be rotated so all the items get on display. There is probably more in storage than there is on display at any given time.

I worked at the N.Y State Military Museum. At any one time only fifteen percent of the collection is on exhibit. Most museums operate the same way. The exhibits consist of three types...short term( anywhere from a few months to a year ), long term,( items are rotated out on a three year basis ), and permanent ( the exhibits never change except the artifacts are rotated out to rest and are replaced with other similar items).

State military museums can borrow items from the CMH collections and CMH can borrow items from the State collections. One big military family.[:)]

A view of part of New York's Military Museum gun vault

[img][/img]museum1_051.JPG
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Seems like just the other day I was reading about a number of priceless works of art seized by Nazi Germany, and how the capture of these works was a "war crime". So, how is this not the same?

To the winner go the spoils.
  • Options
    wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy, I would love to get lost in that place for a week or two!!!
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure would be nice if they ever got the museum built, but they won't. It will get lost in red tape and our government waste too much money on Vacations for the president. If he and moochelle just forgo one vacation, we could all go to the museum to see these great treasures. Oakie
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is just simply amazing.[:p][:p]
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A documentary was done about the artifacts a year or so back.

They have them and no place for them to be displayed fully. They talked of wanting to build a museum but the cost would way to much to put everything on display.
  • Options
    burpfireburpfire Member Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember seeing a story on tv about this. they do lend items out. they were opening crates of weapons, and I clearly remember the one " CRATE!" contained nothing but NEW in the wrapper GREASE GUNS! shows how un-trusting the gov is of their citizens. they wont sell these to the public, yet they send millions upon millions of high tech weapons free to any camel monkey nation that wants them! go figure.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    The article talks about the need to raise money for a museum and then shows the original Norman Rockwell's worth over $10,000,000 each, I think I know haw they can raise a extra $50,000,000 or so.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Museum of The Kansas National Guard and 35th Div. has a number of weapons on loan from them,some were unfired. ( BAR,M3,03A3 and others )
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Seems like just the other day I was reading about a number of priceless works of art seized by Nazi Germany, and how the capture of these works was a "war crime". So, how is this not the same?

That kind of "trophy" should go back to the original owner if it can be traced.

Military stuff is fair game.