In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Bear hunting

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
Well, I'm behind schedule a bit, but we got my bear hunting spot set up today. The father-in-law and brother-in-law helped set my stand up, my wife hacked a shooting lane for me, and I dug a baiting hole and set my camera up. It is a team effort and I hope I can come through with a bear to return the favor. [8D]

Jon

Comments

• Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck on the black bear hunt, ive always heard wisconsin was a good trophy destination for black bear hunting cause they don't issue many tags
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon, good luck and I hope you bag a nice one. We have a lot of black bears at our cabin, just not during the hunting season[;)] Those animals sure are quite too. Walked up on me a few times up there. Oakie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, 2 days till season starts here. I get to hunt in 4 days. I have had one in by my stand 4 days in a row. I am pretty excited, but trying not to get over-anxious. I know how this can go.

I put 5 rounds through my .450 Bushmaster today too. It was sighted in, but I wanted to do a zero and function test before the hunt. She is all ready! [8D]

Jon
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Good Luck man.When U butcher it,make a few "chops" and eat one for me!!![:p][:p]
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mossberg500man
    Good luck on the black bear hunt, ive always heard wisconsin was a good trophy destination for black bear hunting cause they don't issue many tags

I know people in the more Northern zones that are on 6 years and still no tag. I think 5-7 years is the average, depending on the zone.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oakie
    Jon, good luck and I hope you bag a nice one. We have a lot of black bears at our cabin, just not during the hunting season[;)] Those animals sure are quite too. Walked up on me a few times up there. Oakie

They sure are! They are very agile and stealthy for their size.

Jon
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Good Luck man.When U butcher it,make a few "chops" and eat one for me!!![:p][:p]

I would do one better and give ya some if you were closer Jeff.

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    quote:Originally posted by mossberg500man

I know people in the more Northern zones that are on 6 years and still no tag. I think 5-7 years is the average, depending on the zone.

Jon
    thats what ive heard,couple weeks ago i was talking to a fella in a bar south of rapids and he said his grandson's fiancee had tried to draw for a tag for 7 years and just got one this year for over by Phillips
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sig220_Ruger77
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

I would do one better and give ya some if you were closer Jeff.

Jon
    Been a looong time since I had a nice Black bear Chop, fried up in bacon drippings with a side of home fried taters and some green beans or limas...MMMM MMMM good!!
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do Not like the taste of bear. Had it a few times, done in different ways, and hate it.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We got a lot of meat out of this one. The butcher said he was 312 lbs dressed...about 400 lbs live weight.

Sausages.....steaks......bologna and the back straps were huge!

Excellent eating!

Meandmybear.jpg
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice bear gun tech!! Where you get him at?

Like oakie I won't eat a bear, hence I haven't been bear hunting yet. Maybe it was a bad batch or a bad processor that did the first, and only, stuff i have tried. Way to gamey, greasy and everything else that goes along with it. I'd give it a second try though..(if enough cold beer or bourbon was within arms reach to get rid of the taste if required)
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposedly we have a few on some of the bluffs around us by I have never seen sign. I have seen wolves, bobcats and a cougar. SW Wisconsin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by likemhot
    Supposedly we have a few on some of the bluffs around us by I have never seen sign. I have seen wolves, bobcats and a cougar. SW Wisconsin
    I know they've come to Adams county, we had a bear rip down a bird feeder last year and this spring we got a plaster casting of a paw, their a recent arrival though , used to never hear of bears in the nekoosa area
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    It is not uncommon to see a bear here in Clark County. They love to hole up in corn fields and gorge themselves.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anchor him!
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter

Like oakie I won't eat a bear, hence I haven't been bear hunting yet. Maybe it was a bad batch or a bad processor that did the first, and only, stuff i have tried. Way to gamey, greasy and everything else that goes along with it. I'd give it a second try though..(if enough cold beer or bourbon was within arms reach to get rid of the taste if required)

Herkimer County, NY.

A small camp, surrounded by the Adirondack Park.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter

Herkimer County, NY.

A small camp, surrounded by the Adirondack Park.

Is the diamond mine still open? went there as a kid back when my Grandfather was alive....he was in Brookfield near watervielle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sure is....I had my kids up there just a few years ago.

I'll have to get my 3 year old nephew up there, too.

He might strike it rich, you know! [;)]
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grandson was out on Saturday and Sunday mornings with My Hound buddy, much to his dismay, after good chases they treed the same Sow both days. She was a 6 ft'er, 300 lbs or so..

They plan on going again Sunday morning and he's hoping there is a Boar at the end of the chase this time.

I spoke with him on the phone and told him not to be discouraged, if they don't find a suitable bear, we are sure to see some working on elk gut piles or Haw berries in Oct.

Mule
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best of luck. I'd like to hunt bear someday.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Good luck, I've always wanted to hunt bare.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    Good luck, I've always wanted to hunt bare.

I see what you did there.......