In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W vs. Taurus

2»

Comments

• sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both ,I like both ,never had a problem with either,
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Smith autos, except for early 39s, have never been candidates for my acquisition ambitions.

"acquisition ambitions" Nice turn of phrase.

If you wish to use it, there will be no charge.

I am a magnanimous ignoramus.

Doug

Smith semi-auto's, with the excepetion of the aforementioned early 39's, plus the Model 41's and 52's, are junk junk junk IMHO.

OTOH, Pre-tranfer bar and internal lock Smith wheelguns are the cat's *.

Buy a used 70's or 80's vintage Smith in good mechanical condition, it will outlive you.

Taurus, pass.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jon0322
    quote:I guess everyone has forgiven Smith for playing ball with the Clinton administration.

Old Smiths revolvers are fine guns. Newer autos, not so much.

Yep. Kind of funny how everybody remembers what ole' Bill Ruger said, but not what ole' Smith did.[:D]

I love the looks of the Smith's, just have never owned one(for some odd reason). I do have a taurus Raging Bull that I like very much!

Jon
    Smith redeemed itself, Ruger did not.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    quote:Originally posted by sinder_83
    Just ask yourself this, "Would you rather buy a Mustang for $15,000, or would you rather buy the same Mustang with leather seats for $30,000." Go with the Taurus, Smith and Wesson's are like Harley Davidson's, you are pretty much paying for the name. Harley Davidson's are over priced pieces of junk.

Just curious, how many Smith and Wessons have you owned? How many Harley Davidsons?
    I can't really comment on Taurus, as I've never owned one. I do, however, own 4 Smith and Wessons at the present and have owned several over the years. Every one performed flawlessly.
    Oh, I've also owned two new-at-the-time Harley Davidsons, and looking at the third.

Myself I have owned both pistols and love both. I have some Taurus that will out shoot any S&W. Now for Harleys, well people who have never owned one should not talk about things they know nothing about. I have owned Harleys for over 40 years and love them and had had better luck with them than any Jap bike. But then the only real motorcycle on the road is a Harley. The rest are merely wannabes.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TheSilentOne
    I have heard that Smith's are better, but are they twice as good as a Taurus, as the price indicates. I want to get a .38 stainless revolver. The Taurus I like is $320, and a similar Smith is almost $600.

Keep you eyes open for a used Smif Mod 60; you won't be disappointed.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never owned a Taurus, however, I currently own six Smif's in different calibers.

Smith and Wesson has been known to make an occassional lemon, i.e. my 340 Airlite Sc.

[xx(]
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,026 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    quote:
    Myself I have owned both pistols and love both. I have some Taurus that will out shoot any S&W. Now for Harleys, well people who have never owned one should not talk about things they know nothing about. I have owned Harleys for over 40 years and love them and had had better luck with them than any Jap bike. But then the only real motorcycle on the road is a Harley. The rest are merely wannabes.

Yer either drunk or on drugs......[:0]

So...what's your point?[:D]
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PP with all those new Colt aquisitions I thought you wouldn't bother with anything else[:D] BTW we still haven't seen PICS of them!
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Ruger.

As soon as I acquire and learn to use a digital camera, I'll share with you.

[:D]
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I own a S&W 19 and a Taurus 44 hunter. Both work just fine and never gave me an issue. I also have a PT92 and PT99 and both work just fine.

However, out of all my wheelguns, my fav is my 1977 vintage Ruger Security Six.