In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Enfields are fashonable !

mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htweap/articles/20090107.aspx

who'd guessed, a 10 shot, speedy bolt, Brit would be there [:D]

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use mine for military bench rest shoots we have here, and I don't do to bad.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link. It reinforces some of my personal opinions. Spray and pray just doesn't cut it unless your goal is 73 virgins. This is a switch in tactics that could seriously endanger our troops. Body armor won't stop every shot, long range shots could easily drop enough to put a round into our mens legs. I have read that the reason the Civil War wasn't over quickly, was that the Southern soldier was a much better rifle shot. The irony of a third world country successfully using 100 year old battle rifles against a modern army is amazing.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't underestimate the .303. It is just a tad weaker than a .308 . Here is a pic of my Savage Lend/Lease Enfield with a 1300 yd. flip up rear sight. Don't know about that distance.

DSCN0317.jpg
  • 1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the article: "the inaccurate AK-47 has a hard time hitting anything more than a hundred meters away"???
    I know that an AK is not exactly known as a tack driver, but please tell me that you can hit a man-sized target at more than 100 meters with one.
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Heres my baby , in uniform & party dress ( faz Mk1 No5 -303)

FazNo5005.jpg

bipod9-13007.jpg
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Here is my JC:

HPIM0143.jpg

and bayonet:

HPIM0481.jpg

I also have an original sling. The Ka-Bar in the pic with the rifle is the one my Dad carried in WWII.

Unfortunately, the rifle lives at the pawnshop for now, and I think my Son-in-Law stole my bayonet.

Doug
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Apache attack helicopters are entirely proofed against the 7.63x39, and the main rotor will withstand hits from the Russian 23mm. But the first Apache brought down in Gulf War 1 was done in by a single shot from an 8mm Mauser that was fired by an Iraqi Farmer. In that particular instance, the armor over the oil cooler wouldn't stop an 8x57, and Apaches don't work without oil.

Don't throw away your Mosins or your 98's just yet.
  • Dumpster BabyDumpster Baby Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a #4, a #5, and a "#7 Jungle Carbine", actually an Ishapore 2A cut down to look like a #5 Jungle Carbine. Two .303's and a 7.62mm, plus bayonets all around. [:D]
    edited November -1
    David - Could you please post some pix of your Boys ??

Doug
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,639 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a pieced-together-by-CAI piece of crap that shoots straighter than I can hold it. Simple, reliable, accurate, easy to handle...not a big surprise that someone would put it to military use. Sumbitch does put the hurt on the shoulder after 30 rounds or so...
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1fisher
    From the article: "the inaccurate AK-47 has a hard time hitting anything more than a hundred meters away"???
    I know that an AK is not exactly known as a tack driver, but please tell me that you can hit a man-sized target at more than 100 meters with one.

Sure...just spray and pray - you'll hit somebunny.

Doug
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember Clinton wanted to ban the British 303 as to powerful for civilians.[xx(][V]
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mond
    Heres my baby , in uniform & party dress ( faz Mk1 No5 -303)

FazNo5005.jpg

bipod9-13007.jpg

nice rifle,[;)][:D]
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I have a "sporterized" No4 that's one of the most accurate rifles I own.
    got it at a local sale for $150 with 80 rounds of milsurp .303 included!
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I have a sporterized Long Branch No4 that is quite a decent freezer filler.

I have also used it to kill a couple dozen Coyotes in SD.