In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Question?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
Im looking to buy another 1911A1 and found a Auto Ordanance I like.Are they a descent 1911?

Comments

• Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nighthawk
    Im looking to buy another 1911A1 and found a Auto Ordanance I like.Are they a descent 1911?

I have one from before Kahr bought them out. I haven't had any problems with it. For the money they're probaly better than RIA, and just as good as Springfield. Quality can only have improved with the acquisition by Kahr.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Decent peices, yes. Put a full length guide rod in at and you're all set.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    Buy a Colt...they are soft on the market right now and there are some great deals to be had. Every Colt 1911 is a collectible, right out of the box and they are the model every other manufacturer copies so why own a wannabe? Kimber makes a nice pistol but I can't see that they are 3-500 better than a Colt
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimber's are pricey, but they are made well also. I own a Kimber, and and old Colt. The Colt is worth more, but hands down the Kimber is better quality.

Now, with that being said, if the 1911 is made to US specs then it is an above quality gun to begain with.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Springfield TRP and a Loaded Model, their great guns and I would trust my life to carry them as my main Handgun. However I dont often carry them as a primary self defense gun. I was curious about the Auto Ordinance for mostly shooting with friends. I need to save my money and get a Sig Sauer P-220.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I have fired my Colts many times and have never had any problem. No misfires, stove pipes, fail to eject, nothin'. They are easy to clean and I can assemble/disassemble with my eyes closed. .45 ammo is cheap and you can find a good assortment for any purpose. even shot shells. With kits you can even interchange calibers. So Imagine Kimber does the same but I'm not sure what gives them a better degree of quality?
  • Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I have always lived by the rule that a Kimber is what you show your buddies. A Colt is what you carry.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    What model?

Most Auto ords say in the manual "for use with ball ammo only"