In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cat killers could be discharged

96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
edited December 2004 in General Discussion
[url]C:\My Documents\WPVI_com Store Employees Charged for Shooting Cat.htm[/url]

These guys are going to get fired for popp'n a cap on a stray cat. They may be facing felony charges. Unbelievable!

I'll wager if it was homeless poor drunk guy that got capped it wouldn't even rate paper and ink. Most likely be perched in the corner of the back page of the newspaper somewhere.

Don't get me wrong I don't want to see animals mistreated but come on for cry'n out loud. These guys ought to round up every stray cat in Evansville and drop em off at the complaintant's door step.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."

Comments

• Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Thats just it, they didnt "pop a cap" into the cat. They shot it with a BB gun several times wounding the cat. They then left the cat there to suffer one more day then shot it some more until it finally died. I think they deserve all they are going to get and then some.

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Deputies confiscated a Daisy air rifle and a box of .177-caliber pellets and took Hardin to the sheriff's command post for more questioning. Then, according to the deputies' report, one of the officers spoke to the store's general manager, Darrel Weitzel, about the incident. According to the report:

"Before leaving Deputy Schnell spoke with Darrel Weitzel, Wal-Mart's head manager. Weitzel advised that he knew about the cat being in the grocery trailer. Weitzel stated that his staff tried 'everything' to get the cat out but nothing worked. Weitzel then stated that he told some of his employees to 'just get rid of it, get a gun, and get rid of it.' Weitzel advised that he knew of his employees' actions but did not advise them not to do it."

Hardin told a deputy that Anderson told him to get a specific air rifle from the sales floor and come to the trailer. He said both men shot at the cat but that Hardin fired the shots killing it. He named a third manager who helped look for the cat but said she did not fire any shots.

Not really trying to make an issue of this point, but in my understanding (from experience with such) a PELLET rifle (capable of firing .177-caliber pellets) is somewhat different from a "BB gun" as most pellet rifles I'm familiar with are capable of being PUMPED up to amazing force-capability. Being shot with one is closer to being shot with a .22 short than being shot with a BB gun. They have the power to kill (especially small animals) with one shot if properly placed.

I don't know how this case was handled as to shot placement or "suffering" time, but it was not necessarily as bad as them shooting a cat multiple times with a BB gun, which would, of course, have been TORTURE! [:(]
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Whether it was a BB gun or a Pellet gun it makes no difference to me. On the news where I live they said it was a BB gun. So now that we have found out its a pellet gun(according to your source) does that somehow make it OK? They still shot the cat several times, left it there overnight to suffer, and then came back the next day to shoot it some more until it finally died. This was the original story from the Evansville news station. The story has since changed via attorney Im sure. Now, according to your source it mentions nothing of the cat being left there overnight. Whether it be a Pellet gun or a wooden spoon the point is this was WRONG and they are going to pay the price. It was torture in my eyes how could you say it wasnt??

Larry
    binladen.gifShowLetter.gif
  • Options
    gonepostalgonepostal Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if they would have shot it nine times the first day the idiots wouldn't be in trouble ,i guess they missed that old wise tail

dhs-advisory-elevated.gif
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid, we had an elderly lady that started feeding some stray cats. Before she knew it, she had over 25 cats hanging around her house. She eventually asked me to get rid of them for her. I brought the 12 gauge down and had a ball. Man, those suckers were tough. A couple of them took several shots to finish them off. Strays are problems. They can carry diseases, etc. If you have a stray problem, there is nothing more humane than to take care of it yourself. The Dam* city sliker, tear jerking liberals are going to be the downfall of this country.

Note to the cat lovers out there: I don't really have a problem with cats (thanks to my daughter we have several). I'm talking about strays here...or problem pets.

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Evansville Daily Distorter reporting:
    The Chinese restaurant and Jimi XingXangwhatever's gun making shop 101 just down the mall main walk had no problem with the shooting. The restaurant owner's eyes got wide and you could see dollar signs resting on top of fried rice. Jimi XingXangwhatever was racked by the fact that his proto type BB/pellet gun did not put forth the fps that he had hoped for.

• Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had to hit a cat more than once with a 12 gauge I'd hang up my guns! :(
    This was torture and whoever was involved deserves whatever the maximum sentence is.IF they had killed it clean,I'd not say anything,but to shoot it mulitple times over 2 days sucks!!!

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Throckmorton
    If I had to hit a cat more than once with a 12 gauge I'd hang up my guns! :(
    This was torture and whoever was involved deserves whatever the maximum sentence is.IF they had killed it clean,I'd not say anything,but to shoot it mulitple times over 2 days sucks!!!

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.

Have you tried it??? You might be surprised. I'd even pay to see you accomplish an immediate kill with your 12 ga at 20-30 yards...b/c you can't do it, unless you're using a slug or buckshot. Cats are incredibly tough creatures. IE: one of the cats that I hit was running away from me and he was about 25 yards out and I hit him and flipped the cat completely over in the air; he got up and took off running. If you make too many flippant remarks about hanging your guns up without actually having first hand experience, you might just find yourself unarmed[;)][}:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    They should tie the people responsible to a piece of plywood and take target practice at their bal*s. There is no reason for this type of behaviour and anyone who agrees and sees it as or well it was just a cat and the penality is to harsh should join them on the board and be ready for target practice!!!!. Go ahead your bragging make you look like a shi*head anyway big brave gamehunters.

It's All Crapola!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They should have beheaded the thing with a butcher knife. Then nobody would say anything either. They could have videoed the act and sent it to the media.

HEY wait a minute! What am I saying? We're talking about a cat here, not a person. Oh just forget what I said about taking off it's head with a butcher knife. Maybe they should take off the shooter's heads with a knife. Thhen the world would be a better place.

• Options
    TrooperAllen469TrooperAllen469 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who's got the time to kill a cat? Anyone who has the available TIME to go "cat-killing" with a pellet rifle, needs a more challenging full time job. Not that I am either supporting or opposing cat death, I just don't have the free time.[:D]

Trooper 1st Class,Georgia State Patrol, Certified General Instructor, Firearms Instructor, Defensive Tactics Instructor, Armorer, Gunsmith, Former U.S.Navy 1st Class Petty Officer
  • Options
    spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They might get more time then killing an person. That is how the system work. This is not an joke.
    spec.4

Don't fear the night, fear what hunts at night. ME!!
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it becomes necessary to kill a cat, or any other animal, or a human for that matter, kill the damn thing and be done with it. Otherwise you are inflicting unnecessary pain and suffering and should pay the price for it. If you shoot a dozen cats with a 12 and one or two have to be shot again, that might be understandable. If you have to shoot most of them more than once, you need to get somebody else to do the shooting.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.