In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Long airline flights anyone??

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
Wow, with some of these flights you better really want or need to be there. I could not imagine being locked into an aluminum cigar tube for 18 hours...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/worlds-longest-flights-211655905.html

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Not sure how long the flight was from L.A to Okinawa but it was long.

The 1st trip was the Longest. Wrecked my dirt bike the Morning before I left. Chain locked up the rear wheel when I took a jump, So had crunched nuts from the landing. Try sitting on a long flight then.
  • Options
    rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    No wonder you're grumpy.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My daughter works for Yahoo. They sent her to Bangalore India a couple months ago to teach some classes. I think it was 20+ hours if I recall each way.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh boy! Now you tell me.
    We're booked May 4th, Newark direct to Bejing on a 777.
    We upgraded to bulkhead seats (600/) because of bad backs. Business or 1st class would have meant another $4K per seat.
    Unfortunately, it's Continental/United with a 4 out of 10 rating per the article. We could have opted for another airline and would have with this new info.
    I should have researched best airlines but it was a packaged tour.
    One way it's a sandwich, the other we get dinner.
    I'm dreading the flight.
    The trip was on a whim.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    ive never had a single flight that was as long as those, but on more than one occasion ive spent more than a full day travelling without like a hotel room or anything.

while sitting in a terminal isnt exactly the same as being on a plane since you can move around fairly freely, eat from a selection of vendors etc; being in transit is all very much alike and very draining.

it took me a day and a half to get from boston to punta arenas chile two years ago. that included spending the night on the sidewalk outside the airport in santiago, thoroughly drained and defeated.

on super long flights, i go to my doctor and get a few sedatives. sit down, get comfortable, eat something, take a pill and fade to black for a few hours. wake up, bathroom, food, take another pill. i find commercial air travel is exponentially easier to deal with if you're unconcious.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Oh boy! Now you tell me.
    We upgraded to bulkhead seats (600/) because of bad backs. Business or 1st class would have meant another $4K per seat.
    Unfortunately, it's Continental/United with a 4 out of 10 rating per the article. We could have opted for another airline and would have with this new info.
    I'm dreading the flight.
    The trip was on a whim.

Bring a respirator if you have any breathing problems.
    I wouldn't go to China if someone gave me a free trip,.....don't take that personally BTW.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    From here to Maylasia and back. 20 hours in flight each way. Made the trip once, won't do it again. I'll retire first.
  • Options
    Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chicago to Tokyo, changed planes and then to Guam.
    Worst trip was Milwaukee to Chicago-Pittsburgh-LA-Hawaii-Manila-Cebu (Philippines). With my 20 month old daughter, no less.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    From here to Maylasia and back. 20 hours in flight each way. Made the trip once, won't do it again. I'll retire first.

i decided after my horror show boston to punta arenas experience that im not travelling internationally for work again unless i have enough money in my pocket to be independant for at least two days.

i went all the way to the bottom of the continent with a hundred bucks(usd) in my pocket. i didnt speak the language and after awhile i was no longer in contact with anybody outside of the airport. my cell phone died and i didnt have an appropriate adaptor. i maxed out my credit card making super long distance phone calls to the home office in seatle. when i finally got a local person to be in contact with, for some reason the airport pay phones suddenly wouldnt connect to his cell phone. i was alone with not much money in a country whos language i didnt speak and no way(for awhile) to get either to my destination or home. it was hands down the worst experience of my life.

just to top it all off, the local agent had gotten me a hotel room and sent another agent to the airport to find me and take me there. we never hooked up and thats how i ended up on the sidewalk. i finally made it to my destination, but that was more luck than anything else. i was quite honestly at my wits end. i was tapped. emotionally wasted and ready to crack. i havent cried in years, even the night when my best friend died in my arms and the nights that have followed; but i came DAMN close to a complete breakdown that night.

of course, this was my first real international travel boondogle. im sure people who are more worldly have been through the ringer more than once and have a plan. i was totally and completely lost and i decided that day that they could offer to pay me any amount of money in the world, but if i didnt have a plan in place to deal with problems that allowed me to sleep the nights before, im not going.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

i decided after my horror show boston to punta arenas experience that im not travelling internationally for work again unless i have enough money in my pocket to be independant for at least two days.

i went all the way to the bottom of the continent with a hundred bucks(usd) in my pocket. i didnt speak the language and after awhile i was no longer in contact with anybody outside of the airport. my cell phone died and i didnt have an appropriate adaptor. i maxed out my credit card making super long distance phone calls to the home office in seatle. when i finally got a local person to be in contact with, for some reason the airport pay phones suddenly wouldnt connect to his cell phone. i was alone with not much money in a country whos language i didnt speak and no way(for awhile) to get either to my destination or home. it was hands down the worst experience of my life.

just to top it all off, the local agent had gotten me a hotel room and sent another agent to the airport to find me and take me there. we never hooked up and thats how i ended up on the sidewalk. i finally made it to my destination, but that was more luck than anything else. i was quite honestly at my wits end. i was tapped. emotionally wasted and ready to crack. i havent cried in years, even the night when my best friend died in my arms and the nights that have followed; but i came DAMN close to a complete breakdown that night.

of course, this was my first real international travel boondogle. im sure people who are more worldly have been through the ringer more than once and have a plan. i was totally and completely lost and i decided that day that they could offer to pay me any amount of money in the world, but if i didnt have a plan in place to deal with problems that allowed me to sleep the nights before, im not going.

I did all my traveling back when I was much younger and things were a lot different, all over the world.

I have ZERO desire to travel at this point. Between the TSA, the airlines that can hold you hostage for hours on a non-moving plane, and all of the freaking nut jobs out there,....including pilots, and flight attendants now. No thanks.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

I did all my traveling back when I was much younger and things were a lot different, all over the world.

I have ZERO desire to travel at this point. Between the TSA, the airlines that can hold you hostage for hours on a non-moving plane, and all of the freaking nut jobs out there,....including pilots, and flight attendants now. No thanks.[;)]

I agree with both of you guys![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i'll fly anywhere domestically. i'll fly anywhere internationally as long as the country's language is english and i have some cash. i am NEVER packing a bag and heading off into the world without a backup plan thats bulletproof.

the tsa is an inconvenience for sure, but its a necessary evil as our society currently exists(put a law on the books that negates their existence and i'll support it, but they're here and if you want/need to fly you're going to have to suck it up.

being in a plane sucks for sure, but again if you want to get somehwere in a timely manner you have to deal with it.

my only serious * is the problems with INTERNATIONAL travel. fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not a germaphobe, but planes and the air in them is some of the nastiest in the world. I'll fly only when I have to.

Seems like I always end up with someone sitting behind me with a persistent cough and they spend the whole fight showering me with their germs.[xx(]
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Oh boy! Now you tell me.
    I'm dreading the flight.
    The trip was on a whim.

I hate United, but loved Continental - unfortunitely they are now one in the same. Flew millions of miles. I never liked bulkhead seats because I have long legs and you can't straighten out. If I couldn't be in 1st or an exit row, I always liked a seat on the back row of a section in the forward part of the plane. They recline the same as the others and no one behind you. I believe the 777 is that way also, but you should check on line....
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I traveled some [:D] I used to be Pan-Am frequent flier [;)]
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sister does the Newark to Hong Kong hop a couple times a year. With two small children.

I've always known that in many ways women are much tougher than men, and I am sure this is one of them.
  • Options
    oldnbaldoldnbald Member Posts: 3,578
    edited November -1
    I know it's apples and oranges, but in 1961 I flew from Oakland, CA, to Honolulu, to Wake Island, to Tokyo in a four engine prop plane. Was 33 hours air time, not including time on the ground. In 1963 traveled the same route in a similar plane - 35 hours in the air. Supposedly had a 30 minute refueling/customs stop in Honolulu on the return flight and would up there 3 hours while they changed an engine. Talk about long!
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Not a long flight, but St. Lucia to Chicago was interesting. The guys that loaded our bags on the airport shuttle van forgot a couple of ours. They held the plane while I frantically tried to call Sandals resort. I was not leaving without those bags. To Sandals credit, they hired a chopper to fly our bags from the resort to the airport. All was good. [^]
    ..I really want to see Tahiti but the wife says that no way will she fly that far.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    After being Bruised and Hurt for a week after a Seattle-London Flight, I will never Fly again. They have downsized the Seats to the point of Pain for my Chassis. Throw in the insult of having a "Lady" of the TSA feeling up my Wife in Public, and we simply will not fly again. Too bad about the Airlines, and the Countries we used to visit. Now selling our Condo in Kauai.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    I've done the LA to Bangkok trip (18hrs) after flying from DC to LA with an hour layover.
    army transport. no stewardess, or in flight movies.......
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've taken some long flights in the back of a C-141 and a C-130. Wasn't too bad, I'd wear a parka, ear plugs and ear muffs, put the hood up and I would sleep on the deck. Something about the noise of the engines made me sleep like a baby
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldnbald
    I know it's apples and oranges, but in 1961 I flew from Oakland, CA, to Honolulu, to Wake Island, to Tokyo in a four engine prop plane. Was 33 hours air time, not including time on the ground. In 1963 traveled the same route in a similar plane - 35 hours in the air. Supposedly had a 30 minute refueling/customs stop in Honolulu on the return flight and would up there 3 hours while they changed an engine. Talk about long!

Dang man, no wonder you are bald!!!!!!
  • Options
    MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Houston - Tokyo 14 hours non-stop. Talk about boring... 3 movies and a couple meals. First round trip was interesting, second time not so much and the third and forth time was monotonous.

Houston - New Delhi with a stop to change planes in Europe. Either Amsterdam or Frankfurt. 23 hours from the time we boarded until we landed at our destination. I guess I made this trip 3 times.

Tampa to the middle East through London. Not too bad since we flew Business class. One trip we flew to JFK and then JFK to Heathrow then to Abu Dhabi. We were upgraded to first class on the JFK - Heathrow leg. Now that was something. You get a set of PJs along with flat beds and top of the line food and drink.
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    form texas to Singpore and back after 3 years when I was 9 that was a long trip. would love to go back [:D]
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With security there are no short flights...

Its all long with TSA.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A not so small consolation is international flights prohibit smoking.
    On a trip to Rio in Brazil smoking was still allowed.
    Terrified chain smokers had me (an ex smoker) gagging.
    It was really bad and gave me a respiratory problem to spoil my vacation.
    I couldn't even appreciate seeing the girl from Ipenema.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The longest flight of my life was our Honeymoon. San Jose CA to LAX
    45 min
    5 hour layover
    Then 15 hours from LAX to Fiji main island.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Long flights equal long naps

[img][/img]3627a0fd.jpg
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Even longer flights may be fatal

[img][/img]d761d3a4.jpg
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]cf701a3e.jpg
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    19 hours from California to the Philippines on an Air Force stretch DC9.
    Wearing my Navy dress blues in the summer with a plane full of dependents,mostly kids.
    Then a long bus ride still in dress blues from Clark AFB to Subic bay.
    I never did forgive the Air Force for making me wear my blues.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,035 ******
    edited November -1
    flew from Seattle to Korea-was like 12 hours.[xx(][xx(]
    flew from Fallon,Nv. to Ft.McClellan (Anniston) Al. in a C-130,,that felt like days,[xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chicago to Tokyo, then Shanghai. 23 hours.
    Chicago to Sydney about the same.
    Chicago to Bankok. 20 hours.

Drink a lot and take reading material.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several to Asia, Indonesia, and the Philippines via the equator routes 15-18 hours long and then one memorable emergency landing in Taipei due to engine trouble on a DC-9 in the middle of the night, the airport was closed during the hours of darkness. We had to wait for mechanics to come in for their shift and no customs officials so he were held at a gate until they could figure out what to do with us , that ended up being a 45 hour en-route trip.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do BWI to London or Philly to Manchester 6-8 times a year. about 8 hours.

Going ATL to LAX to Mebourne AU in a week. 9 hour layover at LAX, then 16 hour flight. Arrive and drive to the company Im visiting.

I do get business class on an airbus A-380, so ill report on how nice that is.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.

I do get business class on an airbus A-380, so ill report on how nice that is.
    Please do, I would love to fly on one of those.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I make several flights each year from the middle east to either Dulles or JFK. I don't go thru Europe anymore instad taking the straight flights. 14-16 hour flghts are the norm, sometimes depending on weather and routes it has taken around 12 hours. I fly so much I get comp'ed all the time on United [:D]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember how many hours in the air, but the longest trip I ever made by air was Davisville, Rhode Island to Hickam Field, then Hickam to Christ Church, New Zealand, then Christ Church to Williams Field, McMurdo Station, Antarctica.

Then a sled ride from the strip to Williams Field. I had the worst headache of my entire life before or since for about two days. Thought I was going to die.

Then a year later I had to do the same thing in reverse to get home. We rode with the Air Force from Hickam to Davisville. Somebody overheard the pilot tell one of his crew "We're going to show these sailors how the Air Force flies". When he took off he went almost straight up, and almost lost it trying to level off. If he was trying to scare me, it worked.

In the words of dheffley, "won't do it again".
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.