In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

An Horrific Possibility

CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
edited January 2008 in General Discussion
i posted this in Politics also to see what happens over there.[;)]

1. Hillary wins the Democratic Party nomination for President
of the United States

2. Naturally, she wants to choose as her running mate someone
with a lot of knowledge and experience in government and
foreign affairs, someone who is a seasoned campaigner who
could bring a lot of strength to the ticket. Who better than
Bill, her husband?!!!

3. Hill and Bill go on to win the election in November and the
Democrats maintain control of the House and the Senate.

4. Hillary is sworn in as President on January 20, 2009. The
next day, after all the inauguration parties are over, she
calls a press conference to make an announcement: she is
resigning as President!!! Bill, as the Vice President,
immediately becomes President!!! This is all perfectly legal
under the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution, for it states
that "no person may be elected as president more than twice".
Bill is not being elected for a third term but is merely
serving out the remainder of Hillary's term---all 4 years of it.

5. But wait! There's more! The following day Bill calls a
press conference to make an announcement. He has chosen
someone to fill the now-vacant office of Vice President.
Guess who he picks? Why, Hillary, of course!!!

Comments

• Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow that would be horrible. But would it be legal for her to have him as a running mate?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The VP is not appointed by the president. Prior to the ratification of the 25th Amendment in 1967, there was no provision for filling a vacancy in the vice presidency. When a president died in office, the vice president succeeded him, and the vice presidency then remained vacant. The first vice president to take office under the new procedure was Gerald Ford, who was nominated by Nixon on Oct. 12, 1973, and confirmed by Congress the following Dec. 6. The order of succession now is Speaker of the House, the President pro tempore of the Senate and then the cabinet members by senority if they are eligeble.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But could Hillary legally have Bill as her running mate?
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Picky, picky, picky.

Messing up a good fantasy with the facts.

Just like you.

Doug
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He could only serve for two years. It says:
    quote:No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.
    He has already been elected twice, so if he serves more than two years of Hillary's term that will put him in violation of the first part of the Amendment.

He would violate the Amendment basackwards from what the writers of the Amendment foresaw, but they didn't specify an order. Basackwards wouldn't be out of character for the boy.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    The order of succession now is Speaker of the House, the President pro tempore of the Senate and then the cabinet members by senority if they are eligeble.

That's not so bad I guess. At least we know if anything serious happens, Nancy Pelosi is waiting in the wings to command the country. [xx(]

BTW chevelle, interesting scenario but five men with crowbars couldn't pry that power away from her if she gets in. Let alone Bill, who's nuts are already in a mason jar.
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh James now..... you and those pesky old ammendments! They're so outdated anyway. It's the 21st century and the sheeple are ready for change. If they think it's best for the country, let them do what they need to do. In this day and age, sometimes the rules NEED to be stretched. For the people! C'mon now...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    James I don't read that the way you do. I think it says if he served more than two years of someone elses term, he can only then be elected once on his own, but cannot hold a second term. Since Bill has served two terms he could not be re-elected, but he could serve all of Hillery's term.

Personally I think she would eat her offspring before giving up the office of president to anyone.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The concept, to me, of eating chelsea, is repugnant.

Doug
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So she could choose him as her running mate. Wouldn't that be interesting?
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by He Dog

Personally I think she would eat her offspring before giving up the office of president to anyone.

Damn Dog that was funny[:D]
  • Options
    Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    But I don't think it would be legal. If I recall correctly, there was a tiff about George W. Bush picking Dick Cheney as his running mate because they were from the same state. Dick Cheney had to claim his Wyoming residence as his official state of residency so as to not violate that statute. The Dems whined but they got away with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    She is a Senator from New York, he is from Arkansas.
  • Options
    Rocky4windsRocky4winds Member Posts: 760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stand corrected...[^]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have to go with doug 5:43 on his reply....NOT even with my favorite barbie sauce......
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    The concept, to me, of eating chelsea, is repugnant.

Doug

That Doug, is what bags are for[}:)][:0][:D]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    James I don't read that the way you do. I think it says if he served more than two years of someone elses term, he can only then be elected once on his own, but cannot hold a second term. Since Bill has served two terms he could not be re-elected, but he could serve all of Hillery's term.

I think we're reading it the same. I just think you're not used to starting at the end and looking backwards.

When he has served two years and one day of Hillary's term, he will have "acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected" and he will have been "elected to the office of the President more than once" making him in violation of the Twenty-Second Amendment.

The Democrat Party might balk at having Moscow Bill as Vice Presidential Candidate. I agree with you that she would never give up the office to anyone for any reason.

quote:No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.