In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Would you comply ?

trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Saw on the news yesterday about the mayor of one Michigan city sending out notices to all city employees that they must drive an American made vehicle or have their employment terminated .
I forgot which city .
Any news on this ?

What would you do ?

Comments

• Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure, but I think that falls under the category of "unconstitutional."
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like another dumb * that happened to get elected ...recall is in order
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I'd love to see them try to enforce that. This isn't like drinking Pepsi at a Coca-Cola plant. Most people cannot afford to switch their automobiles at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    What would you do ?

Nothing unless I got fired or harrassed.

Then I would tell him to kiss my * and sue.
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Almost impossible I think.

US components assembled in Mexico or Canada. Canada, Mexico, Japan components assembled in US. The choices are almost endless.

What's not endless is a list of 100% US manufactured vehicles. I'm not entirely sure there exists such a vehicle.

I understand the reasoning and intent. I understand that it's not in our collective best interest to purchase 100% foreign vehicles. But today I wonder if there really is such a thing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I understand trying to help your community out ,but this would be really bizarre .
    What if it is decided next week that the car has to be a specific color ?
    Oh wait !----I think that was mentioned last week as a way to control climate change ![:0]
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    Saw on the news yesterday about the mayor of one Michigan city sending out notices to all city employees that they must drive an American made vehicle or have their employment terminated .
    I forgot which city .
    Any news on this ?

What would you do ?

I'd drive me ol' Toyota 4Runner right up his *.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None of 'em take the bus to work?[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle
    None of 'em take the bus to work?[}:)]

Boycot in reverse !
    I like that idea ![:D]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,576 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Agree with nord.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    If he is buying it, I'd do it. Doesn't even matter that I have a Dodge Ram sitting in my driveway. If he wants to force me to drive an American car, he better provide it for me.
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007
    I forgot which city .
    Any news on this ?

What would you do ?

Why would anyone have to be ordered to buy the best built car in the world??? That's illogical.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roger,......I caught a bit of that story yesterday.
    The guy was explaining that the folks this applied to were "appointees" and not real "employees" whatever that means.

I didn't get it, but he kept making a point out of that for some reason.

Regardless IMHO it's total BS.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    The guy was explaining that the folks this applied to were "appointees" and not real "employees" whatever that means.

Marc,........ mighty nice of him to leave the sanitation workers and the animal control workers (notice my PC!) out of it !
    I wonder if the "appointees" get a pay check ?
    That's a cop-out on his part !
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    At last check, I still live in a land of freedom and liberty. I know that's changing now, but he Mayor would just have to fire me and ... kiss my * on my way out!![:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Marc, I just heard part of what he had to say too, but he almost made sense. He said the order was only for "at will" political appointees. These are appointees who serve at the pleasure of the mayor. He can fire them for any reason or for no reason at all.

He said they are being paid, most over $200,000 per year, from city taxes. The city taxes come from people making American cars. His theory is if they don't support the people who support them, there won't be any $200,000 a year jobs to worry about.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    How do you know when a car is made in America? GM, Chrysler, Ford have more foreign content that most Toyotas.

Politicians are mostly *. Not to mention slimy.
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I already drive a Pontiac so I wouldn't care...I might rent an H2 and run over some ricers just for fun...the bigger the bolt-on wing the harder I hit [;)][}:)]
  • Options
    Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    Wonder who made large political contributions to his campaign?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

Marc, I just heard part of what he had to say too, but he almost made sense. He said the order was only for "at will" political appointees. These are appointees who serve at the pleasure of the mayor. He can fire them for any reason or for no reason at all.

He said they are being paid, most over $200,000 per year, from city taxes. The city taxes come from people making American cars. His theory is if they don't support the people who support them, there won't be any $200,000 a year jobs to worry about.
    James,....thanks for posting that, as you obviously heard more than I did.

I guess I am divided on this.
    A large part of me does not like the "threat" aspect in a free country, but I can also understand his point as well.

Somehow I think the first person fired would be contacting the ACLU,......what say you?
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I think all government vehicles paid for with our tax dollars should be made in the US. even if they are made by a foriegn company, as long as they are built here it is OK with me.
    As for private vehicles, A guy earns his money and should be able to buy whatever is on the market.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    I think all government vehicles paid for with our tax dollars should be made in the US. even if they are made by a foriegn company, as long as they are built here it is OK with me.
    As for private vehicles, A guy earns his money and should be able to buy whatever is on the market.

I agree fully with that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

$200,000 job or $25,000 job should make no difference .
    Plus the city taxes come from the whole community ,not just the auto workers.
    I agree with supporting your community but I would prefer it as a citizen instead of a subject.
  • Options
    BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166

Agree with that one. If I got an order like that I would go out and buy a foreign car to drive to work if I did not already own one. Tell 'em to bring it on and find me a good lawyer.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somehow I think the first person fired would be contacting the ACLU,......what say you?

Probably so, but since he can fire "at will" political appointees for no reason at all, unless they get one of those judges who make up their own law, they will lose.

I knew a sheriff who made up and enforced his own law, until I offered to test him. He backed off for a while, be he eventually got the law changed.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.