In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This is soooo Wrong

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
quote:
Navy weighs contradictory possibility of atheist chaplain
6 hrs ago

Atheist chaplain: contradiction in terms? Jason Heap doesn't think so. The 38-year-old religious scholar says he wants to be the Navy's first humanist chaplain - and that religious faith isn't a prerequisite to work in the chaplaincy. Heap's application is nearly simultaneous with a Congressional effort to prevent the Pentagon from hiring chaplains who are nonbelievers: "The notion of an atheist chaplain is nonsensical," says the amendment's sponsor, Rep. John Fleming of Louisiana. But Heap says his goal is only to "serve others who share similar values and perspectives."

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,067 ******
    edited November -1
    [V][V][:(][:(]
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WTH. Just when I thought I'd heard of every kind of idiocy.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always felt Atheism was a form of religion, I've never run across anybody as fervent as a proclaimed Atheist pushing their beliefs and then belittling others of theirs if they disagree
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    I've always felt Atheism was a form of religion, I've never run across anybody as fervent as a proclaimed Atheist pushing their beliefs and then belittling others of theirs if they disagree

I agree with you. I think people are missing a chance to kneecap the Atheists with this. If they can be chaplains, then theirs' is a belief set concerning religion. No one's belief set should trump someone else's.

If in the future they claim that something cannot be displayed because it would violate their beliefs, you tell that that all the things that are not displayed, are done so to honor the Atheists beliefs.

Display the 10 commandments on the left side of the courthouse wall, and when they *, you point to the right side of the wall where nothing are displayed, and say "There are your beliefs".

Fair for everyone. And then enjoy watching them try to argue against the display of nothing. [:0]
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a highly educated fella but if I am a atheist in the military all I have to do is not go see a man of any faith, why would I go visit another atheist, whats the point?
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    I am not a highly educated fella but if I am a atheist in the military all I have to do is not go see a man of any faith, why would I go visit another atheist, whats the point?

When they (the atheist soldier & atheist chaplain) are in a foxhole and the preparatory mortars are falling and an enemy charge is imminent I suppose they could light a candle and have a truth seeking vigil.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Am I in Bizarro world?

bizarroworld.jpg

This is the most insane thing I have heard in the last 15 hrs! This is crazier than Shelia Jakson Lee being the new Big Sis.
    RLTW

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't an athiest chaplain simply be a non-religious councilor? Don't we have those already?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is not the Chaplain there to also Administer Last Rights.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Doesn't that take a Catholic priest since the last rights are part of that particular beliefs tenants?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by llama
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Doesn't that take a Catholic priest since the last rights are part of that particular beliefs tenants?

In the Absence of a Catholic Chaplain any chaplain can Administer Last Right they have all been trained in it. But one key Item must be there they must be men of faith. Not so sure I would like having a friend given last rights by an Atheist.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    Am I in Bizarro world?

bizarroworld.jpg

This is the most insane thing I have heard in the last 15 hrs! This is crazier than Shelia Jakson Lee being the new Big Sis.Not sure if it is crazier but sure is close.
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The is an atheist in the White House. He claims to be a leader. He claims to be black. He claims to be transparent. He claims to be everything and is.......nothing.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672968/how-thors-hammer-made-its-way-onto-soldiers-headstones

Good read! I wonder if non-orthadox Jews can have $ instead of a star of David? [:p]
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Humanism is as much a religion as any other. But wouldn't having a chaplain be sort of antithetical to the religion? One doesn't need much instruction in how to be self centered, do they.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a minor point, it is not "last rights", it is "last rites". quite a bit of difference in the meaning. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    Just a minor point, it is not "last rights", it is "last rites". quite a bit of difference in the meaning. [:)]

I even did a web search cause it seemed wrong to me and each one of those came up with rights.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wrong, perhaps from yours or my point of view.
    But.... not really in the eyes of the liberals currently in power. It should be no surprise to anyone liberals want to replace God with government.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    A Chaplain is required to provide comfort and support to many different faiths.

A Chaplain can council a Jew, Christian or Muslim.
    And I think there are a million subsets of each.

Or Baha'i or Hindi or a bunch of others.

It doesn't mean that a Chaplain has to believe all religions.
    It means they have to be able to understand and support each serviceman's beliefs.
    Regardless of their own beliefs or convictions.

I have no trouble with it.

I'm assuming that no one is proselytizing.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I think that 2cents Adds Up Quick
    Woody
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proper term is Viaticum- confession, anointing. Have seen administered by a Protestant Chaplain. Have seen Catholic Chaplain say Kaddish for a Jewish soldier. Was in the field with a bunch of Catholics, their chaplain stopped by, held Mass, granted absolution to all (no time for confession). Told him later he caught a Baptist in the net- he grinned, said "That's OK- God does not mind the occasional Baptist. His son was one."
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    I agree with you on this. Atheists claim they aren't a religion because they don't have a deity. I believe they have several deities to choose from, any or all of them. In any case they qualify in all other ways as a religion.

There are several reasons the armed forces shouldn't have atheist Chaplains. Very few military units have both a Christian and Jewish Chaplain. No military unit has a representative of all faiths. It's hard enough for Chaplains to fill in for one another for all the troops. The one thing the Jewish, Catholic and Protestant religions have in common is a faith in the same God. It would be impossible for most to accept an atheist as the Chaplain.

If a Chaplain is trying to comfort me at my time of death and I find out said Chaplain is an atheist or Satanist, I hate to think the final entry in my record would be "With his last dyeing breath he killed the Chaplain."
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.