In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Yamaha ATV Carburetor

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
Recently I bought a 07 350 Utility, that had came from a estate. Terrible gas mileage, only 16/17 to the gallon. I figure it should be at least in the 25/35 range.

Probably varnished up, just sitting after the original owner passed away.

I changed the plug, cleaned and reoiled air cleaner, didn't make any difference. Had to adjust the throttle stop screw so that it would even start.

The goober at the dealership, wasn't any help. He told me to run hi-test gas.

To make a long story short, whats the best carburetor cleaner that might help me with my problem?

Comments

• Options
    Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try using injector cleaner. You just add it to the fuel. It's strong stuff and will save you a tear-down. Doubt if the carb is the mileage culprit though. Check the brakes and see if one is hung up.
  • Options
    AZ9JAZ9J Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seafoam, that stuff is great. I run it in every other tank full on my quad
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Run a few tanks of gas through it along with a can Sea Foam. Good stuff!

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
  • Options
    CutiegirlracingCutiegirlracing Member Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the carb off and blow it out with a air hose. Make sure you get all the holes. Make sure your jetting is okay. If you brought it from an estate that was on a different elevation then you may need to rejet. Do a plug chop to be sure or a least read the plug.
    But I think 16/17 is the norm of what you have. Remember it's geared low and will not get the same mileage as it's street bike conterpart.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sea Foam, it's a miracle cure!
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to have a clean carburator you need to take it apart and clean it! I have no faith in the stuff you dump in the gas tank.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a gallon of the real bad carb cleaner. It will say on to remove ALL rubber. They really mean it! I presume it is a MCUNI/MACUNI?MECUNI ? or some sort like that. They are fairly simple but like they say, don't lose the small parts. Tom
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dano, thanks. I just looked at my Yamaha repair manual but it didn't list the name. They are fairly easy to clean. Even i can do it on a good day. If it has laquered up, it is a chore to get the little holes as clean as they shud be. Welder's torch tip cleaners come in handy sometimes. Tom
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    dano, thanks. I just looked at my Yamaha repair manual but it didn't list the name. They are fairly easy to clean. Even i can do it on a good day. If it has laquered up, it is a chore to get the little holes as clean as they shud be. Welder's torch tip cleaners come in handy sometimes. Tom

Be careful with the torch tip cleaners.

You don't want to change the shape or size of the very small holes (jets)

Some of the cleaning products work well after you take the carb apart and apply it to the hard to get at areas.

I've used spray on paint remover with good results, be sure to wash it off so as not to eat up some of the lighter medals used in the carbs
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It will be a side draft 33mm Mikuni BSR. Yamaha uses this carb in everything from the 250's to the 450's. Same size, same model.
    You won't have to take the thing, just take apart enough to blow it out. I'll bet there is something stuck in one of the jets.

You may ask another 350 Grizzly/Bruin/Warrior/Raptor what kind of mileage he's getting. Like I said, I think 16/17 is the norm.

I have only 2 stroke Yamaha's and I get maybe 5-8 mpg depending on how hard I ride. I've gotten as bad as 5 gallons in 20 minutes.

I do have a 400 4 stroke Honda. I get around 20-25 mpg with it, but's it's a sport model with a standard gear box and chain. I'll bet yours is a automatic with belts and a shaft. It may even have a rear diff.

I do have a 400 Kawaski with an automatic with belts and shaft. I don't ride it enough to know my exact full milage. It's alot less than my 400 honda EX, but alot better then my Banshees.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CGR is on the right track. If it is a 4 wheel drive model, even if it is pushbotton on demand, you are driving that front end. The automatic snowmobile type clutch models also suck gas, as does the shaft drive. The most fuel efficient models seem to come from Honda, and Suzuki. Your Yamaha is a quality machine though.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    My 400 Kodiak 4X4 only averages 15 MPG with normal driving, and not very many do much better, unless it my little 90 Honda Sporttrax target runner, and that must get about 200 MPG
    as I only fill it up once a year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cutiegirlracing

I'll bet yours is a automatic with belts and a shaft. It may even have a rear diff.

Thats exactly what it is! Grizzly, automatic, 4 WD, lockers, irs ect. I guess the original owner, wanted all the bells and whistles. To bad he passed away, less then 6 months after he got it.

Thanks for the heads up! I guess the gas mileage, isn't that bad. I'm just going to dump a can of Seafoam or some other carb cleaner, into the gas tank, to see if it will make any difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The 350 Grizzly is a very good bike. It's enough power for most thing and isn't too big for the woods.
    I see guys all the time with 700 plus 4x4 thinking they are going to go anywhere the smaller bikes can. Then quickly learn they are too big and heavy for the tight technical stuff.
    You can't beat big cc's for towing though.

This may sound crazy, but the best carb cleaner I've used isn't carb cleaner. It was STP dexcon trans fluid. Mix to a 1 to 60 ratio.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought it for hauling my stuff out to the BLM desert, to go shooting. It sure beats trying to take a two wheel drive pick-up, into the boonies. Can't beat it for getting into almost inaccessible areas. I was out riding yesterday and I ran across 5 Big Horns in a steep canyon just a couple/3 miles, from where I live. They were up about 150/200 yds on a 45% slope, just muching away. Didn't even look up, or appear to even notice me.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    rufe- snow
    You find out that very few critters will * at the sight of a 4 wheeler, ATV, or whatever they call them where your at. At least until you get off it, then they seem to disappear pretty quick.....