In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any Crow Hunters here?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
Ive decided I want to put some serious time and effort into crow hunting. First I guess I need a crow call and then I dont know what else or alot about calling them in. I found some calls at Cabelas but calls work best, or should I buy one with multiple functions? I appreciate any advice, Ive never done any serious crow hunting but I see it as being very challenging.

Comments

• Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have many crows around and I find if I put out corn, they will come. I have shot a few from my front door but it's been awhile. My target area is about 75 yds from door and I use a 22. Tom

PS. I recently bought a large plastic owl but have been too lazy to go down and hang it up. i have heard that crows hate them and will come around and try to run it off. I have no personal experience at this time. Maybe I'll string it up tomorrow. Tom
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt them all year long except deer season.
    I hunt over bait, decoys and call.
    I logged in over 50 kills in 2007
    I usually put out 3 decoys, then hang a piece of aluminum foil in a tree on a piece of string, spray some ketchup on the ground, get in a makeshift blind and call a few times. They usually come in 2 or 3 times before the jig is up.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the damn crows LOVE those plastic owls.
    I've got one about 2' high and the crows like to stand on its head and squawck at the world.
    Ol' owl has a few bullet holes in him now.(low shots)
    [}:)]barto[}:)]
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    i am a bird lover, even Crows and their relatives Ravens which are more common in the SouthWest.

cats? now there is sport in that hunting scenario [:D][}:)]
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never hunted Crow but I've had to eat it a few times.[:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,976 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    i am a bird lover, even Crows and their relatives Ravens which are more common in the SouthWest.

cats? now there is sport in that hunting scenario [:D][}:)]

And yo will find there are several extremely well armed cat lovers (and cats) here too.

I do not hunt anything I will not eat.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I hunt them all year long except deer season.
    I hunt over bait, decoys and call.
    nyforester

Shame on you....

I didn't think that Crows were legal to hunt all year long in NYS [:D]
    The last I knew it closed in the spring and reopened the 1st of Sept.