In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Case XX knife

gunandknifemangunandknifeman Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
I am and have been an avid knife collector as well as a gun collector for many years. My question is does anyone out there know
any good professional or good people who does a good job cleaning
older knives?
Thanks
Terry

Comments

• Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you want an older knife cleaned? It will only diminish any collector value the knife may have. You could however go over very lightly with some wd-40 and some super fine steel wool to remove any rust that is starting to form. A professionally cleaned knife may look better than one that shows some patina , but the value will be less. search about cleaned vs uncleaned at
    http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/index.php
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If it is a well used knife or rusty, it would be of little value anyway unless it was a very rare limited type of knife.. Most collectors want them as pristine as possible.. I do knife repair and I will tell you a repaired knife is OK for something senimental, but not good for its collector value.. Same as reblueing a gun.. I have done many knives that were handed down from grandfather to drandson over the years. but I rarely get a collector peice in for repair or cleaning..I have done many old schrade switch blades with broken handles but only to bring the value up from broken to selling quality.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don
    Thanks for the info. I have a few older case xx 1920-40and a few case tested knives that the blades are tarnished with a little rust.
    Thought they may look and better. I do not however want to take away from the value. I am only going to pass down to my son.
    Thanks
    Terry
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    You can always send a Case knife back to Case and they will do a very good job. Case as you know is located in Bradford PA. [8D]
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One trip to the Louisville, Kentucky area knife show and you'll find all of the old "cleaned to mint" knives you can stand.

I say if it's real bad and has sentimental value, leave it alone. If you just like the knife, attend an NKCA knife show and you'll find one like it. Talk to Tony Foster, he doesn't deal in "reworked" or fake knives. Unless he just started recently[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    another thing, about the only thing an experieced knife collector would want with a "cleaned" knife is to sell it as something it ain't to an unsuspecting newbie for a large profit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    RESERVE

Tony Foster is offering the following for your consideration. Pay Pal, Personal Checks, Money Orders & Bank Checks gladly accepted. Winning bidder pays $5.00 for USPS Priority Mail shipping. Insurance is available but is optional at extra costs.

Case XX (1940 to 1964) 54052 Small Congress Pattern (3-1/2" long). This stag small congress has been professionally cleaned. Stag handles are a little pocket worn but have no cracks center rivits. The blades appear to be full and all four snap just fine. These stag Case XX small four blade knives are very scarce and seldom seen for sale in any condition.

Cletus, thought you amy find this intersting... he does deal in cleaned knives.
    gunandknifeman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cletus85
    One trip to the Louisville, Kentucky area knife show and you'll find all of the old "cleaned to mint" knives you can stand.

I say if it's real bad and has sentimental value, leave it alone. If you just like the knife, attend an NKCA knife show and you'll find one like it. Talk to Tony Foster, he doesn't deal in "reworked" or fake knives. Unless he just started recently[:D]

I haven't seen Tony for a couple of years...looks like it got a little too tough to deal only in "real" mint knives recently[:D]
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gap1916
    You can always send a Case knife back to Case and they will do a very good job. Case as you know is located in Bradford PA. [8D]

If he's very lucky he may run into Snitch and Cyclonus up there.
    BTW, Bradford is my hometown.